You don't need to pound the pulpit

You don't need to pound the pulpit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jan 22

@mchill said
I see you're still struggling with this -
Why not just answer the question instead of deflecting?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
No, that's not so. I "struggle" with Revelation in much the same way as I "struggle" with QAnon. So, do you not count the Book of Revelation as part of Jesus' teaching? The seven words [and dash] you posted above sidestepped the question.
So, do you not count the Book of Revelation as part of Jesus' teaching?

The short answer is "Yes"

I would point out however that I am not a bible scholar, so if you have questions or comments about Revelation (and I'm sure you do) I'm not the one to ask.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jan 22

@mchill said

I would point out however that I am not a bible scholar, so if you have questions or comments about Revelation (and I'm sure you do) I'm not the one to ask.
Do you believe in the eternal suffering teaching? I.e. that non Christians will be either burnt alive for eternity in the lake of fire, or annihilated in the lake of fire?

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@mchill said

The words of yours that prompted my question about Revelation were:

"Jesus taught the masses in a non - confrontational way, using a combination of plain language and parables, and let them decide the issue for themselves."

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
04 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Do you believe in the eternal suffering teaching? I.e. that non Christians will be either burnt alive for eternity in the lake of fire, or annihilated in the lake of fire?
Do you believe in the eternal suffering teaching?

At the risk of sounding evasive, I can't answer your question. The words of the book of Revelation are full of allegory, and parables that bible scholars are still trying to decipher today. I'm not the one to ask about this.

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@mchill said
The words of the book of Revelation are full of allegory, and parables that bible scholars are still trying to decipher today.
Jesus taught the masses using a combination of plain language and parables, and let them decide the issue for themselves...

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jan 22
3 edits

@mchill said
Do you believe in the eternal suffering teaching?

At the risk of sounding evasive, I can't answer your question. The words of the book of Revelation are full of allegory, and parables that bible scholars are still trying to decipher today. I'm not the one to ask about this.
You are indeed being evasive, but at least you acknowledge it!

As a Christian, surely you are aware of the doctrine of eternal suffering because your OP calls for less pulpit bashing about it.

If you are “not the one to ask about it”, then why do you feel so strongly that you want other preachers to dial down their sermons about it?

Furthermore, why not address some of the posters in this forum who have been for years and years hardcore proponents of the notion that Jesus will be overseeing the the fire and brimstone and the casting in of billions of non Christians?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jan 22
1 edit

@divegeester said
Anyway, I find it odd that if you believe that billions of souls will be, as you put it, “snuffed out in a lake of fire”, that you would not want to be “banging the pulpit” about it.

Seems strange to me.
You didn't say this?

I beg to differ.

You also evaded my point.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Jan 22

@suzianne said
You didn't say this?
I beg to differ.
You also evaded my point.
Sorry what point have I evaded?

Please ask again I have no need to evade or deflect.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
Do you not count the Book of Revelation as being part of Jesus' teaching?
I don't.

The Book of Revelation was written after Jesus' death.

The text is written as by an eye witness. It speaks OF Jesus, it concerns some of his actions at the end of days, near his return to Earth, but I'm pretty sure that the Book of Revelation was not in any of his teachings.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Sorry what point have I evaded?

You insisted that I might have a need to "bang the pulpit", and I asked you if Jesus had a need to "bang the pulpit" about the end of those found wanting at Judgement.

He did not, and so I do not. He found it easier and more effective to merely talk with people and influence them in other ways in the way they should go. He wasn't about scare tactics and neither am I.

This was my point, not who started with the phrase "bang the pulpit".

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
Jesus taught the masses using a combination of plain language and parables, and let them decide the issue for themselves...
Right-o.

He felt no need to "bang the pulpit" about it either.

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@suzianne said
The text is written as by an eye witness. It speaks OF Jesus, it concerns some of his actions at the end of days, near his return to Earth, but I'm pretty sure that the Book of Revelation was not in any of his teachings.
Is the book in question not said to be the "Revelation" of Jesus communicated to someone-or-other who claimed he was being instructed by Jesus? If it's not Jesus' teaching, is the content the teaching of the someone-or-other who is said to have written it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22
3 edits

@divegeester

EXCELLENT!

Is it possible that there could be a genuine practical local church today continuing what was started in "the church in Jerusalem" or is it impossible for Christians to church today in any regard except in division, as a denomination?

Yes - it could be possible.
No - it is impossible

You have no need to evade or deflect.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Jan 22
1 edit

@sonship said
@divegeester

EXCELLENT!

Is it possible that there could be a genuine practical local church today continuing what was started in "the church in Jerusalem" or is it impossible for Christians to church today in any regard except in division, as a denomination?

Yes - it could be possible.
No - it is impossible

You have no need to evade or deflect.
NO, that is impossible.