You know more than me!

You know more than me!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]Their religious behaviour, however, genuflecting and kneeling to the Eucharist, praying before it and so on, does suggest their knowledge of this.

This doesn't seem right. How does this "suggest knowledge" above mere mimicry?[/b]
Perhaps it is just mimicry. Perhaps they just sit before the tabernacle because this is ingrained habit. Perhaps it is even a result of superstition -- some Catholics do credit magic properties to the Eucharist. Perhaps, however, they believe that Jesus is really present, even if they do not have the verbal power to articulate how. Perhaps 'symbolic' is just the appropriate word for them to capture how Jesus is present but not physically present.

The point is a very simple maxim that memory is not the same as understanding, the ability to recite a doctrine is not the same as to understand it. Testing religious knowledge may require you to inquire about their religious behaviour as well. Perhaps in the case of this survey, it would have helped if it were an interviewer who could elicit further responses.

T

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
Perhaps it is just mimicry. Perhaps they just sit before the tabernacle because this is ingrained habit. Perhaps it is even a result of superstition -- some Catholics do credit magic properties to the Eucharist. Perhaps, however, they believe that Jesus is really present, even if they do not have the verbal power to articulate how. Perhaps 'symbolic' is jus ...[text shortened]... his survey, it would have helped if it were an interviewer who could elicit further responses.
Sorry, I wasn't interested discussing the point of your post on the whole. I found that statement particularly curious so thought I'd ask.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
29 Sep 10

I am often skeptical of surveys of religious knowledge. Religion doctrines are often terribly complicated and it is often difficult to test whether real knowledge exists. Take for example the Trinity. An atheist may quite accurately reiterate the basic Trinitarian formula 'Three persons and one nature'. He may even be clever and impress his interviewer with ...[text shortened]... to summarise the doctrines of their church. It does not really assess their actual knowledge.
The article does not claim that atheists are experts on any given religion. It merely claims that they tend to know more than its practitioners.

g

Moves
29 Sep 10
1 edit

There is another survey, which indicated that Jewish, Atheist/Agnostic, and Mormon scored the highest.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/

Is this survey in the posted article any where around? I wouldn't mind taking it myself to see how I do.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Sorry, I wasn't interested discussing the point of your post on the whole. I found that statement particularly curious so thought I'd ask.
Good for you. I hope the matter has been clarified.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by rwingett
The article does not claim that atheists are experts on any given religion. It merely claims that they tend to know more than its practitioners.
I am well aware of the content of the article. I don't see how this quibble however bears on anything I just wrote.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Sep 10

I am often skeptical of surveys of religious knowledge. Religion doctrines are often terribly complicated and it is often difficult to test whether real knowledge exists. Take for example the Trinity. An atheist may quite accurately reiterate the basic Trinitarian formula 'Three persons and one nature'. He may even be clever and impress his interviewer with ...[text shortened]... to summarise the doctrines of their church. It does not really assess their actual knowledge.
I agree. I don't know that the writer of the article was nearly able to distinguish between topical and intrinsic knowledge as we might initially give credit for: it is one thing to say the words, quite another to know what they mean... quite another yet to agree with them.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
29 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
So do those who grew up in non-religious homes become theists? Or are there not very many non-religious homes in the US?
I did, as did my wife.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
29 Sep 10

So, in other words, you cannot really know what the definitions of the words within scriptures really mean until you have faith in their corresponding religion?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by duecer
I did, as did my wife.
Ditto here, as well.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 Sep 10

I'm from an atheist household.

T

Moves
29 Sep 10

Good for you. I hope the matter has been clarified.
I think so. Those acts do not "suggest knowledge" beyond that of mere mimicry. Just as "memory is not the same as understanding", mimicking behavior is not the same as understanding.

AH

Moves
29 Sep 10

I'm from a once-theist household turned atheist with both my parents once being theists (one Muslim and the other Christian) but now atheist.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
I'm from a once-theist household turned atheist with both my parents once being theists (one Muslim and the other Christian) but now atheist.
they must have cancelled each other out like a hot wire and ground

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Sep 10

Originally posted by lausey
So, in other words, you cannot really know what the definitions of the words within scriptures really mean until you have faith in their corresponding religion?
That is an interesting question. I think that an atheist who has never experienced religious fervour will have difficulty, for example, understanding mystical literature. The thoughts and images would feel foreign because he would have no immediate, direct experience of them. So, yes, religious faith can be necessary precursor for religious knowledge. But I do think, however, that an atheist could have a solid understanding of Scripture and religious doctrine, even exceeding that of those committed to the doctrine. My point here is simply that verbal reiteration of a doctrine, without any understanding of its semantic content, does not test religious knowledge.