1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 18:44
    Originally posted by Doward
    "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law."--Kant
    Does nothing for me. Perhaps Kant will be along later to defend his corner.
  2. St. Peter's
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 18:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does nothing for me. Perhaps Kant will be along later to defend his corner.
    take only those actions that you feel should be a universal law. In other words lie if you think everyone should be able to lie with impunity, steal if you think that no one should own property or have property rights etc...
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 18:55
    take only those actions that you feel should be a universal law. In other words lie if you think everyone should be able to lie with impunity, steal if you think that no one should own property or have property rights etc...
    This has nothing to do with what I said and has nothing to do with religionists claiming that they know what 'God's' "instructions" are.
  4. St. Peter's
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 18:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    This has nothing to do with what I said and has nothing to do with religionists claiming that they know what 'God's' "instructions" are.
    It has everythng to do with the thread, and with what you said, sorry if you can't see beyond your nose.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 18:58
    sorry if you can't see beyond your nose.
    So it's Go Straight To ad hominem, Do Not Pass Go, it seems. Well done.
  6. St. Peter's
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 19:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    So it's Go Straight To ad hominem, Do Not Pass Go, it seems. Well done.
    Its not ad hominem if its true.

Kant's catagorical imperative is directly related to this thread and to what you said, just because you have trouble grasping what is said is no reason to get bitchy
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Feb '11 22:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sounds to me like all you are saying, more or less, is "We have been issued with instructions, and this is what they are...", like all other religionists. The more you have internalized these 'instructions', the more certain you feel, and the more certain you feel, the less your doctrinal assertions mean to persons of a spiritual nature who think for themselves and who believe that there is more to spirituality than seeking 'instructions'.
    Everything you know, has come from instructions of one type or another.

Its called the descending method of learning and we all subscribe to it for everything we do.

1. you took instructions to learn English

2. You took instructions to learn mathematics.

3. you took instructions to learn your history and science.

4. you took instructions to learn about the job you now hold.

5. you took instructions on how to drive a motor vehicle

6. you took instruction on how to operate you computer.

7. you took instructions on how to do your Internet banking.

8. you took instructions on how to administer your medication from your doctor.

Now what is this nonsense you are presenting that now that you have become interested about God and religion, you do not need or desire to take instruction from the authority on these matters.

This is....as I have said before....that you are simply trying to present to the public that you are supremely free and in control and that you need no assistance in you spiritual life, but you have displayed clearly that you definitely require assistance with everything else in you mundane life.

This false stand is your dishonest way of thumbing true knowledge in place of fabrication and speculation.

Because you have looked at false religion in your life, and have been disappointed you have concluded that there is no such thing as true religion, but this conclusion is based on your whimsical nature, for you have not and do not desire to avail yourself to the direction of true religion.

So what do you stand for?....you are not clear about anything and are just doing what serial debaters do, and that's argue about anything and everything, right or wrong...you dont care.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 01:301 edit
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    So what do you stand for?
    In spiritual terms I stand for distancing myself from religionists who seek to scare or insult me for not agreeing with them when they tell me that theirs is the only "true religion". All they are doing is codifying their conjecture and then pronouncing that "We have been issued with instructions, and what they are are what I say they are." I stand for curiosity, eclecticism, tolerance and deduction in the face of such suffocating certitude and overbearing pedantry, seeing them as the symptoms of human weakness rather than authentic spiritual exploration.
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 02:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    In spiritual terms I stand for distancing myself from religionists who seek to scare or insult me for not agreeing with them when they tell me that theirs is the only "true religion". All they are doing is codifying their surmise and then pronouncing that "We have been issued with instructions, and what they are are what I say they are." I stand for curio ...[text shortened]... , seeing them as the symptoms of human weakness rather than authentic spiritual exploration.
    There are plenty of scare tactics in the Christian religion with hell and condemnation, but you know I have never presented anything of the likes of that, and in fact I have presented the exact opposite.

You have not responded to my previous post about the descending method of learning by taking instructions for everything we already know.

You have dived into a new topic without responding to the other.

Why have you neglected to respond to what I have presented, is it because what I presented is perfectly true, and so you have cleverly dismissing it, because it reveals your true situation.

'So lets not let this slip past shall we.

Why have you taken instruction your entire life for all things, but when it comes to true religion (Vedanta Sutra) you say I have no need for any instruction.

You do not know anything of Vedanta Sutra, but you are dismissing whimsically.

This shows you are not interested in spirituality at all, and are just making argument as serial debaters do.

If I am mistaken and you are interested, will you follow the request by Vedanta Sutra to stop animal cruelty, and this will be your first true step towards spiritual living....you cannot deny this.

Will you take your first instruction seriously and follow, or will you dismiss it whimsically.

What shall you do....your the one saying you do have a spiritual take on life.

Well here is your first test to see if you are genuine.

Will you fail or pass.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 02:23
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Don't you mean "Been there, didn't have to do that ?"

lol.
    No, it should have been 'been there, Shouldn't have done that'🙂
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 02:30
    You do not know anything of Vedanta Sutra, but you are dismissing whimsically.
    On the contrary, I have examined Vedanta Sutra - and I have also read your posts here for several months - and I have discerned that what you propagate and propose has no validity for me. 'Whim' was not a factor in this decision.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 02:38
    Vishva, what is the meaning of this:

PADA 1

1 / 1-7 Individual jiva in obtaining a different body continues with the same subtle body.

2 / 8-11 The souls who have enjoyed results of pious activities in the moon descend to earth - with an amsa of their previous pious karmas for which results cannot be enjoyed in the moon, but must be enjoyed in this planet only - which determines the design of the new body.

3 / 12-21 Those who have knowledge (vidya) and who perform sacrifices ascend to moon. For the rest there is the third place, Yama's abode.

4 / 22 The subtle bodies descending from moon, through the ether, air etc., do not become identical with them, but only resemble them.

5 / 23 The entire descent of the soul occupies a very short time only.

6 / 24-27 When the souls finally enter into plants and so on they do not participate in the life of the plants but are merely in external contact with them.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 05:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Vishva, what is the meaning of this:

PADA 1

1 / 1-7 Individual jiva in obtaining a different body continues with the same subtle body.

2 / 8-11 The souls who have enjoyed results of pious activities in the moon descend to earth - with an amsa of their previous pious karmas for which results cannot be enjoyed in the moon, but must be enjoyed ...[text shortened]... they do not participate in the life of the plants but are merely in external contact with them.
    I can only comment on some of these without referencing...

1/1-7......When the person is living they have three bodies

1. the gross material body
    2. the subtle body comprising of mind, intelligence and false ego.
    3. their spiritual body which covered by the subtle body and gross body.

After death the soul takes another birth, and the subtle body continues along with the new body.
    ---------------------------

2 /8-11 The moon is a likened to a heavenly destination and after one has had their specific time their due to their pious karma, they are forced to return to the earthly planets after their death. (there is birth, disease, old age and death through-out the entire cosmos)
    The reality of the moon is not actually understood by modern day persons because it has multi dimensional characteristics, similar to a parallel universe.
    -------------------------

3 / 12-21 Persons who perform pious activities may be afforded birth in the heavenly planets (not the Christian heaven) and persons who perform sinful activities before taking their next birth must stop of at Pitrloka where Yamaraja resides and he is the Superintendent of Death, and the sinful souls must endure in their subtle bodies an illusion of suffering because they are forced to be a witness of all their sinful activities (like re-living their sinful activities all over again, and takes only a moment) its like an unpleasant lesson time.

-----------------------
    4 / 22 I need to reference this and read the entire context

---------------------

5 / 23 I need referencing....but I would like to see what the entire text is saying first.

---------------------

6 / 24 - 27 Need referencing and need to see entire context.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 09:001 edit
    Now what is this nonsense you are presenting that now that you have become interested about God and religion, you do not need or desire to take instruction from the authority on these matters.
    I believe you are sincere when you say that you think that those who do not share your belief system - and your definition of 'authority' - are presenting what you describe as "nonsense".

However, the fact that you are merely claiming something along the lines of 'We have been issued with instructions, and what they are are what vishvahetu says they are', and that you insist on describing your conjecture, assertions and aspirations as "true knowledge", has no effect on my belief system and on the spiritual insights I have spent a lifetime gathering.

In all honesty, your certainty and earnestness - traits you share with almost all your fellow religionists - do not add any weight to what you are attempting to propagate. I no more believe that you are party to bona fide 'spiritual instructions' than I am, bearing in mind that I make no claims in this regard, and also bearing in mind that I have never encountered a self-professed bearer of God's instructions that was the least bit persuasive or credible.
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 10:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    I believe you are sincere when you say that you think that those who do not share your belief system - and your definition of 'authority' - are presenting what you describe as "nonsense".

However, the fact that you are merely claiming something along the lines of 'We have been issued with instructions, and what they are are what vishvahetu says they are'[ ...[text shortened]... ed [i]bearer of God's instructions that was the least bit persuasive or credible.
    You have no spiritual insights worth defending, if you dishonestly defend animal slaughter....can you see that.

One can never ever convince a person against their will, and if that person plays mind games and are dishonest, then no one can speak with that person period.

Still you have not revealed your great truth...why

This has certainly been a lesson for me today, for I have actually found probably the most dishonest person in this forum.......for they are so consumed with falsity, that they cannot even present their truth....but reject everyone else,s.

You are certainly the serial debtor that I exposed days ago.

This is me sighing off, I can no longer waste one more word on your games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree