1. RDU NC
    Moves
    31 May '06 19:15
    the Bible claims that if one is follower of Christ, then he will be persecuted. it doesn't make any qualifying statements. it doesn't try to say that it might happen or could happen, but only deep dark africa or places that are "more hostile" toward christianity. it simply says that "they [the world, the whole world] will hate you on account of me [Jesus]." it says that mothers, fathers, brothers, and friends will turn you over to be killed because of your faith in Christ. so...... those of you who "claim" to be "christian," is this what your christian experience is like? or have you invented your "christianity" based on the parts of the Bible that give you the warm fuzzies?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    31 May '06 21:02
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    the Bible claims that if one is follower of Christ, then he will be persecuted. it doesn't make any qualifying statements. it doesn't try to say that it might happen or could happen, but only deep dark africa or places that are "more hostile" toward christianity. it simply says that "they [the world, the whole world] will hate you on account of me [Jesus]." ...[text shortened]... your "christianity" based on the parts of the Bible that give you the warm fuzzies?
    In fairness, Jesus did have a few "warm fuzzies" in there.
  3. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    31 May '06 22:34
    I don’t have the time or space to teach a whole Bible study here but in a nutshell…..
    Matthew 10 is a two-fold prophecy: Jesus was talking to His disciples about their fate and ends up talking about the Jews who are going through the Tribulation (See also Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21). There are refs. about the Gospel causing divisions among family members (esp. a Jew who confesses belief in Jesus as the Messiah), and how those professing Jesus will be alienated from this ungodly, Christ-rejecting world system. See posts on this site for people’s opinions of those who preach Jesus and try to admonish people to live soberly, righteously and godly. So yes, all Christians will run into some things running from ridicule to outright persecution, but nothing like what will come to those converted during the Tribulation.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 06:46
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    the Bible claims that if one is follower of Christ, then he will be persecuted. it doesn't make any qualifying statements. it doesn't try to say that it might happen or could happen, but only deep dark africa or places that are "more hostile" toward christianity. it simply says that "they [the world, the whole world] will hate you on account of me [Jesus]." ...[text shortened]... your "christianity" based on the parts of the Bible that give you the warm fuzzies?
    The jews make a similar claim and whenever a jew or group of jews or Israel is being persecuted in some way they claim it is proof of thier Godliness. You would think that God would look after his people better than that!
    Interestingly one can hardly say that Christians or Jews are the most persecuted people in history.
    In countries where Christians are in the majority it is the minorities that get persecuted.
    Having different beliefs from your parents or other family members always leads to problems.
  5. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 12:13
    I think the real question is stated thusly: Is there any group in the world that can claim it has never been persecuted for something? To claim persectution is not proof of divinity. Persecution is a given, whether the persecuted is right or wrong.
  6. RDU NC
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 12:45
    I'm not trying to say that christians aren't responsible for their own version of persecution. they are. i think any group in power has the propensity towards dominating those not in power. and those not in power have the propensity to fight to get power. however, when the bible talks about the persecution of christians, it's not referring to the christians as being powerful or bullied. it's talking about them being hated and killed because of the good things they do and the message they share unashamedly and blatantly. and it appears from paul's writings that this is not going to take place during the "tribulation," but rather during the life of a christian of any period.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree