1. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 19:241 edit
    The Prime Minister of the Tang Dynasty was a national hero for his success as both a statesman and military leader. But despite his fame, power, and wealth, he considered himself a humble and devout Buddhist. Often he visited his favorite Zen master to study under him, and they seemed to get along very well. The fact that he was prime minister apparently had no effect on their relationship, which seemed to be simply one of a revered master and respectful student.

One day, during his usual visit, the Prime Minister asked the master, "Your Reverence, what is egotism according to Buddhism?" The master's face turned red, and in a very condescending and insulting tone of voice, he shot back, "What kind of stupid question is that!?"

This unexpected response so shocked the Prime Minister that he became sullen and angry. The Zen master then smiled and said, "THIS, Your Excellency, is egotism."

Can there be any doubt that the master loved the minister and taught him with great kindness?

Does anyone on this forum not suffer from egotism?
  2. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 15:04
    Originally posted by eagles54
    The Prime Minister of the Tang Dynasty was a national hero for his success as both a statesman and military leader. But despite his fame, power, and wealth, he considered himself a humble and devout Buddhist. Often he visited his favorite Zen master to study under him, and they seemed to get along very well. The fact that he was prime minister apparently ha ...[text shortened]... nister and taught him with great kindness?

Does anyone on this forum not suffer from egotism?
    OK, I am far from enlightenment. What does that mean?

And for that matter, what is the meaning in THIS one?

A Samurai and a Zen Master

A samurai, a very proud warrior, came to see a Zen Master one day. The samurai was
    very famous, but looking at the beauty of the Master and the Grace of the moment, he
    suddenly felt inferior.
    He said to the Master, "Why am I feeling inferior? Just a moment ago everything was
    okay. As I entered your court suddenly I felt inferior. I have never felt like that before. I
    have faced death many times, and I have never felt any fear -- why am I now feeling
    frightened?"
    The Master said, "Wait. When everyone else has gone, I will answer. "
    People continued the whole day to come and see the Master, and the samurai was getting
    more and more tired waiting. By evening the room was empty, and the samurai said,
    "Now, can you answer me?"
    The Master said, "Come outside."
    It was a full moon night, the moon was just rising on the horizen. And he said, "Look at
    these trees. This tree is high in the sky and this small one beside it. They both have
    existed beside my window for years, and there has never been any problem. The smaller
    tree has never said to the big tree, 'Why do I feel inferior before you?' This tree is small,
    and that tree is big -- why have I never heard a whisper of it?"
    The samurai said, "Because they can't compare."
    The Master replied, "Then you need not ask me. You know the answer."
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 15:20
    Originally posted by Alcra
    What does that mean?
    The prime minister took the self as a thoroughly existent entity, therefore his suffering arose at a perceived threat to that entity. Compassion didn't arise at the master's harsh words, but instead, a seemingly self-protective emotion.
  4. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 15:24
    Originally posted by Alcra
    And for that matter, what is the meaning in THIS one?

A Samurai and a Zen Master

The terms 'large' and 'small' only hold relative worth.

The same with 'samurai' and 'zen master.'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree