A level playing field...

A level playing field...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
17 Dec 10

I wonder sometimes if Major league baseball will ever be a level playing field? Some rich teams have many millions more dollars available to spend on player payroll than other teams. Why can't major league baseball correct this?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 Dec 10

Originally posted by bill718
I wonder sometimes if Major league baseball will ever be a level playing field? Some rich teams have many millions more dollars available to spend on player payroll than other teams. Why can't major league baseball correct this?
What's to correct? The teams with the highest payrolls don't always or even often win the whole thing. The system is fine as it is (except the revenue sharing is a bit absurd given that teams who receive it can just pocket the money rather than spend it on players).

s

Moves
17 Dec 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
What's to correct? The teams with the highest payrolls don't always or even often win the whole thing. The system is fine as it is (except the revenue sharing is a bit absurd given that teams who receive it can just pocket the money rather than spend it on players).
Absolutely correct! Nothing to change. Who says teams must be equal or that they win based on payroll? This absurd notion of equality is tiresome and more of the usual class warfare lefties (and I don't mean pitchers!) like so much! Why not runless games like they have goalless soccer in Massachusets so players (losers) feelings won't get hurt?

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
17 Dec 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Absolutely correct! Nothing to change. Who says teams must be equal or that they win based on payroll? This absurd notion of equality is tiresome and more of the usual class warfare lefties (and I don't mean pitchers!) like so much! Why not runless games like they have goalless soccer in Massachusets so players (losers) feelings won't get hurt?
Yup, I'm sure you are right. I'm confident if the NY Yankees were given exactly the same payroll as Kansas City or Seattle for the last 30 years, they would have the same amount of world series titles as they do now. Silly me! What was I thinking!?
I'm sure money had nothing to do with it. It was all just smart management...right?🙄

s

Moves
17 Dec 10

Yup, I'm sure you are right. I'm confident if the NY Yankees were given exactly the same payroll as Kansas City or Seattle for the last 30 years, they would have the same amount of world series titles as they do now. Silly me! What was I thinking!?
I'm sure money had nothing to do with it. It was all just smart management...right?🙄
Many eams spend tons on payroll and win nothing. To wit the Red Sox, Phillies, Mets, et al. How many WS titles do these other teams have? Who stops the other teams from spending? You think their ownership are paupers? Look at other sports. Miami Heat seems like spending all that cash has taken them to a mediocre record. They may yet win it all. Yet thus far they seem like a dream yet to come and scare nobody.

So lets assume we do it your way. All teams spend equal amounts of money. If a team strings several wins(championships) then how do you equalize the field? Do we start tying hands behind backs because some players are more skillfull than others? Do we maim and blind them to attain your misguided ideal of equality? What you're really talking about is making everyone mediocre, but equal. Maybe we just rotate championships every year for each team so they'll be happy?

Madison Square Garde

Moves
17 Dec 10

We gotta go throuhg this again? Change the record will ya?