Al mvp

Subscribershortcircuit
Sports 04 Oct '12 17:49
  1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 17:49
    How can anyone say that Miguel Cabrera is not the AL MVP?
    All the guy does is win the triple crown (only the 15th time in history it has been done),
    and leads his team to a division championship.

Granted, Mike Trout had a great season. But, the only category he beat Cabrera in was steals.
    WAR ratings are a joke here...especially in light of the fact that Trout's team is home
    for the playoffs, and Cabrera's is playing in them.

This should be a no brainer.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 12:32
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    All the guy does is win the triple crown (only the 15th time in history it has been done),

Granted, Mike Trout had a great season. But, the only category he beat Cabrera in was steals.
    WAR ratings are a joke here...especially in light of the fa ...[text shortened]... m is home

Hands down Cabrera! No other player comes close and he certainly deserves it! Cabrera's was quite an accomplishment!
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 14:08

WAR ratings are a joke here...especially in light of the fa ...[text shortened]... m is home

I'm not sure who I would vote for but to say Trout's case is a joke is simply untrue. Here is an offense only explanation for why trout should win.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/trout-versus-cabrera-offense-only-context-included/

I'd strongly recommend that one reads the situation stat analysis before simply voting for Cabrera but if you are only inclinded to look at traditional stats here are some things to consider.

Trout is certainly faster (not just 49 stolen bases in 54 attempts but going from 1st to third etc) is very valuable. Trout has 20 more runs in 63 fewer at bats. Trout has a high on base percentage. Trout has 8 more triples. Trout is a great fielder and Cabrera is pretty much a butcher who would have helped his team more if he played DH than if he played 3rd base. Total are not just positive things, they also can be nagtive, like Cabrera made more out at the plate and hit in many more double plays.

Finally, if you only want to look at one thing: is the difference between Cabrera's .999 OPS and Trout's .963 OPS so great that it makes up for the vast difference in defense and speed. I'd argue no and people like Dave Cameron of Fangraphs who actually study this would agree with me.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 14:23
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I'm not sure who I would vote for but to say Trout's case is a joke is simply untrue. Here is an offense only explanation for why trout should win.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/trout-versus-cabrera-offense-only-context-included/

I'd strongly recommend that one reads the situation stat analysis before simply voting for Cabrera but if you ...[text shortened]... no and people like Dave Cameron of Fangraphs who actually study this would agree with me.
    ....and most importantly, Trout is sitting at home with his team, watching Cabrera lead
    his team into the playoffs as division winners.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 14:30
    ....and most importantly, Trout is sitting at home with his team, watching Cabrera lead
    his team into the playoffs as division winners.
    The Angels won more games than the Tigers in a tougher division.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 15:05
    The Angels won more games than the Tigers in a tougher division.
    They are home watching the Tigers in the playoffs, are they not??

Will the Tigers be the first team eliminated from the playoffs because they had the
    fewest wins?

If the Angels had been in the East division, they would have finished third as well, wouldn't they?
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 15:23
    They are home watching the Tigers in the playoffs, are they not??

Will the Tigers be the first team eliminated from the playoffs because they had the
    fewest wins?

If the Angels had been in the East division, they would have finished third as well, wouldn't they?
    Actually, the Tigers record would put them 4th in the AL East and their schedule would have been a lot tougher too.

Not sure why you thinks this, in any way, supports your argument that Cabrera is hands down the MVP.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 15:441 edit
    Actually, the Tigers record would put them 4th in the AL East and their schedule would have been a lot tougher too.

Not sure why you thinks this, in any way, supports your argument that Cabrera is hands down the MVP.
    I meant the Angels, the team YOU claimed were in the toughest division.
    The Angels would have finished 3rd in the East.
    The best two records were from the East as well.

In fact, if you would read it, I said the Angels.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 18:51
    I meant the Angels, the team YOU claimed were in the toughest division.
    The Angels would have finished 3rd in the East.
    The best two records were from the East as well.

In fact, if you would read it, I said the Angels.
    Not sure what this has to do with AL MVP but the Angels have a better record than the Tigers and the Tigers would be 4th in the AL East.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 18:55
    Both are deserving. It would be historically unprecedented for a player to win the Triple Crown and not win the MVP on a team that went to the post-season; it happened the year that DiMaggio had his 56 game hitting hitting streak and won the MVP over Ted Williams' Triple Crown but Teddy Ballgame's team finished far back of the Yankees. There was only two teams eligible for the post-season in those days, however.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 20:23
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Both are deserving. It would be historically unprecedented for a player to win the Triple Crown and not win the MVP on a team that went to the post-season; it happened the year that DiMaggio had his 56 game hitting hitting streak and won the MVP over Ted Williams' Triple Crown but Teddy Ballgame's team finished far back of the Yankees. There was only two teams eligible for the post-season in those days, however.
    That was my point. You have a triple crown winner on a playoff bound team vs
    a player who had some nice stats on a team that failed to make the playoffs.

Triple crown player should win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree