1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 21:17
    The only three days of the year where not a single professional major sports game that counts is played in the US.🙁

(And don't give me the "Winning league gets home field in the WS" crap 😠)
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 21:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The only three days of the year where not a single professional major sports game that counts is played in the US.🙁

The AS games counts so much that half the players don't bother to show.

Ouch; this migraine headache! Too bad; I'll just go to Bermuda instead.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 02:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    The AS games counts so much that half the players don't bother to show.

Ouch; this migraine headache! Too bad; I'll just go to Bermuda instead.
    With all of the injured All stars, half of the league is in uniform at the game.

Oh, and No.1, the winning team gets the home field advantage in the world series! 😛
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 02:512 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    With all of the injured All stars, half of the league is in uniform at the game.

Oh, and No.1, the winning team gets the home field advantage in the world series! 😛
    I've already bought my tickets in Cincinnati as I'll watch them gloriously sweep the Indians in 4 games!! 😀
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 03:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    I've already bought my tickets in Cincinnati as I'll watch them gloriously sweep the Indians in 4 games!! 😀
    A fool and his money are soon parted!!
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 07:03
    The NL won... that's quite an achievement lately. I've always been an NL person in baseball. Fox did a good job with the game I thought. I don't agree with Selig's decision to make the game count toward the WS (I think it was his decision, don't scream at me for that if I'm wrong) but I always enjoyed the fanfare of this game.

Why the hell was Brad Pitt involved? Weird choice.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 12:421 edit
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    The NL won... that's quite an achievement lately. I've always been an NL person in baseball. Fox did a good job with the game I thought. I don't agree with Selig's decision to make the game count toward the WS (I think it was his decision, don't scream at me for that if I'm wrong) but I always enjoyed the fanfare of this game.

Why the hell was Brad Pitt involved? Weird choice.
    The upcoming movie "Moneyball" stars Brad Pitt in the role of Billy Beane.
    Being an NL guy, you may not be familiar with the Oakland Athletics and how
    their young GM, Billy Beane, changed the metrics of baseball GM's,
    creating a statistical explosion for cheap talent that led the way to other
    GM's of similar background and philosophy to be hired, such as Theo Epstein
    in Boston and Andrew Freidman in Tampa.

That is probably why Brad Pitt was involved. Just a guess though.
  8. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 14:14
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I still think home field advantage should be determined by regular season record with all applicable tie breakers. Basing it on the play of people who probably have nothing but contempt for your team in the first place just seems silly.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 15:22
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    I still think home field advantage should be determined by regular season record with all applicable tie breakers. Basing it on the play of people who probably have nothing but contempt for your team in the first place just seems silly.
    Hello?

It was never based on records or tie breakers before.
    It simply alternated year to year.

Now, it is based off the results of the All Star game.
    It does place a bit more emphasis on winning the All Star game.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 16:27
    the All Star game.
    that and the home run derby should be a celebration of baseball involving the best players, basically having some fun relaxing showing off their talents not what they've made it today.
  11. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 17:15
    Hello?

It was never based on records or tie breakers before.
    It simply alternated year to year.
    I never said it was. Clearly I was stating an opinion of how I think it should be.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 17:24
    I never said it was. Clearly I was stating an opinion of how I think it should be.
    Can't see how you could consider that any more equitable than the way it is.
    There are two different leagues with basically two different groups of teams they played.

Your way would penalize the stronger league because the record would not be as good
    more than likely.

Just my observation of your opinion, and why it is no more fair than the way it is
    decided now, and less fair than the way it used to be.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 17:26
    Originally posted by trev33
    that and the home run derby should be a celebration of baseball involving the best players, basically having some fun relaxing showing off their talents not what they've made it today.
    They only hold the home run derby to tickle the fancy of the irish anyway.

It is tough to hold their attention very long on any topic.

But they understand the concept of hitting and they can drink while watching it. 😛😉😀
  14. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 17:47
    Can't see how you could consider that any more equitable than the way it is.
    There are two different leagues with basically two different groups of teams they played.

Your way would penalize the stronger league because the record would not be as good
    more than likely.

Just my observation of your opinion, and why it is no more fair than the way it is
    decided now, and less fair than the way it used to be.
    If there's one thing that can be learned from the playoffs in any sport is that anything can happen. Any team that makes it into the playoffs by whatever means has a shot of going the distance. Sometimes that means the "worst team" of each league/conference facing off against the other "worst team"(cough '06 Stanley Cup Finals).

At quick glance, the current playoff contenders right now aren't that far apart in records so its suffice to say that there's no real "stronger league".

My point is, when you decide something as important as home field advantage in the World Series, in my opinion it should be something you earn as a team collectively. Not a crap shot of players who have little to no chemistry.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 18:32
    If there's one thing that can be learned from the playoffs in any sport is that anything can happen. Any team that makes it into the playoffs by whatever means has a shot of going the distance. Sometimes that means the "worst team" of each league/conference facing off against the other "worst team"(cough '06 Stanley Cup Finals).

At quick glance, the c ...[text shortened]... rn as a team collectively. Not a crap shot of players who have little to no chemistry.
    You are nuts.

If the records were equivalent, then the team with the stronger league could get screwed.
    Don't you understand that?

But it is a moot point because they would never decide it that way anyway.
    If anything, they will go back to alternate years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree