1. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 18:47
    Originally posted by shortcircuit

If the records were equivalent, then the team with the stronger league could get screwed.
    Don't you understand that?
    No. Please explain.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:02
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    No. Please explain.
    For argument's sake, say the American League, overall, is the weakest league by quality of teams and players.
    Let's say the Yankees finish 98-62 and win their way into the world series.

Now, let's say the Phillies play in the tougher national league. They finish with a record of 97-63 against tougher competition.

Under your suggestion, the Yankees would automatically receive home field advantage
    due to their superior overall record, even though it was against weaker teams.

That is what I mean. Remember, they don't have RPI's for baseball.

If you are questioning how one league could be deemed weaker than the other, you
    would see 3 or 4 teams whose records were way better than the rest of the league.
    If all of the teams were tightly bunched, then you would figure more balanced competition.

Make sense now?
  3. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:22
    Make sense now?
    It does. I hadn't considered "the tougher league" by virtue of competition and its effect on a team's overall record.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 20:15
    I think the Allstar game is an exhibition game and should not determine home field advantage. It would make more sense for the legaue that wins more interleague games gets home field advantage.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 20:49
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It would make more sense for the legaue that wins more interleague games gets home field advantage.
    i disagree. there isn't enough interleague games played to determined which league is stronger, and certainly not enough variety in matches with the amount of 'local rivalries' played each year.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 20:59
    Originally posted by trev33
    i disagree. there isn't enough interleague games played to determined which league is stronger, and certainly not enough variety in matches with the amount of 'local rivalries' played each year.
    I agree with you trev. It would show bias.

They wanted the game to be more meaningful rather than an exhibition.
    Perhaps they should say the winning team gets to call the coin toss to determine home field?
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 21:32
    It is a far broader base than the stupid all-star game.
    Every American legaue team plays the same number of games so why do local rivalries matter? If the Yankees play more games against the Mets they play fewer against other teams.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 21:37
    It is worth noting that for the 8th consecutive year the AL beat the NL. This year only 52% to 48% (which is still significant -- the Pirates are play .522 ball and they are only 1 game out and the White Sox are playing .478 ball and their season has been dreadful) but nothing like 2006 when the AL played won 61.1% of the games. It means in '06 the average AL team was like the Red Sox and the average NL team was worse than every team in baseball except Houston.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 17:58
    I agree with you trev. It would show bias.

They wanted the game to be more meaningful rather than an exhibition.
    Perhaps they should say the winning team gets to call the coin toss to determine home field?
    sure, anything which brings it back to being an exhibition match like it is in all the other sports... (i didn't research that comment but then when do i ever do 😉)

i think it might change next year anyway when the top seeded al team (the yankees) gets beaten in game 7 of the ws at citi field to the nl wildcard mets... 😀😉
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 20:21
    sure, anything which brings it back to being an exhibition match like it is in all the other sports... (i didn't research that comment but then when do i ever do 😉)

i think it might change next year anyway when the top seeded al team (the yankees) gets beaten in game 7 of the ws at citi field to the nl wildcard mets... 😀😉
    Man, you jumped hard on the Mets. What happened to the Rockies?
    Thought they were always your gang!!

BTW *holding my breath* on those Miracle Mets (Part II)
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '11 22:54
    Man, you jumped hard on the Mets. What happened to the Rockies?
    Thought they were always your gang!!

BTW *holding my breath* on those Miracle Mets (Part II)
    eh? i was always a mets fan... just happened to be in denver during the 07 ws with a rockies fan friend.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 07:20
    eh? i was always a mets fan... just happened to be in denver during the 07 ws with a rockies fan friend.
    I guess that is why the Mets have sucked for years!! 😛😉😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree