Originally posted by darvlay
    One of these 6:

Randy Johnson
    Greg Maddux
    Roger Clemens
    Pedro Martinez
    Tom Glavine
    John Smoltz

In ten years, this list will include Roy Halladay and Johan Santana.
    no jack morris? guess he doesn't count because he started before 84?

David Cone?
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 13:20
    Originally posted by uzless
    no jack morris? guess he doesn't count because he started before 84?

David Cone?
    Cone's numbers fall short of the group mentioned. Ther are other's who may be better, but they need more years and stats to see if they measure up in the long haul (i.e Johan Santana, Jake Peavy, Roy Oswalt, etc...)
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 03:35
    Picking Aaron (or anyone) over Babe Ruth is a joke. Ruth's numbers are insane without steroids. He finished with 714 hrs; the next highest total at the time was 336 less than him. He has a career .342 BA; .690 slugging 1.164 OPS (the last two are still records). He also was 94-46 as a pitcher with a .671 winning percentage and a 2.28 ERA.
    His individual years are so good; it is heard to find a best one but here are three
    1920 158R, 54HR, 137 RBI, 150 BB, .376 BA
    1921 177R 59HR, 171 RBI, 145 BB, .378 BA
    1927 158R, 60HR, 164 RBI, 137 BB, .356 BA
    There is just no one better who ever played the game.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 04:05
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Picking Aaron (or anyone) over Babe Ruth is a joke. Ruth's numbers are insane without steroids. He finished with 714 hrs; the next highest total at the time was 336 less than him. He has a career .342 BA; .690 slugging 1.164 OPS (the last two are still records). He also was 94-46 as a pitcher with a .671 winning percentage and a 2.28 ERA.
    His indivi ...[text shortened]... 927 158R, 60HR, 164 RBI, 137 BB, .356 BA
    There is just no one better who ever played the game.
    Well, let me explain it to you then. Ruth had below average speed, was a mediocre defensive player, and struck out way too often. Aaron was the player that broke Ruth's home run record as well.

While not wanting to take anything away from Ruth's offensive numbers, but do you think the presence of Lou Gehrig hitting behind him might have improved the pitches he saw to hit? The best players Aaron had hitting behind him were Eddie Matthews for a while, and Rico Carty for a couple of years. While Matthews had great power, no one would ever confuse him for Gehrig. If Wally Pipp was hitting behind Ruth instead of Gehrig, the Bambino would have received a lot more walks and had fewer HR's.

Some would say not having Mantle as the starting CF was wrong. Some say it should have been Cobb.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 03:14
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Well, let me explain it to you then. Ruth had below average speed, was a mediocre defensive player, and struck out way too often. Aaron was the player that broke Ruth's home run record as well.

While not wanting to take anything away from Ruth's offensive numbers, but do you think the presence of Lou Gehrig hitting behind him might have improved the ...[text shortened]... would say not having Mantle as the starting CF was wrong. Some say it should have been Cobb.
    For you to start your discussion by saying "let me explain to you" as if you know everything and I know nothing is just rude and often it is a tone one needs to take when they are ignorant. I'm willing to over look it.
    From what I've heard (since I was not there) Ruth was not a one dimensional player. He has over 100 career stolen bases (even if he over aggressive and can't thrown out too often). He had a rifle of an arm (as a former pitcher) and he could field well at least until the end of his career. Aaron is a great player, but he wasn't out homering teams. He did not break double the single season homerun record or double the career home run record. Ruth once walked 150 times in a season and still got 200 hits. He even pitched 5 or so years including a 23-12 record with a 1.75 ERA followed by a 24-13 record with a 2.01 record. Ruth baseball accomplishment just blow away what others have done. He had a .342 BA with 10 130 RBI season and 9 130 run seasons. Aaron had a .career BA .305; had a career high of 132 RBIs;never scored 130 runs in a season and certain never pitched and won 47 games in a two year period. A few stolen bases and a little bit of defense just does very little to bridge the gap between Aaron and Ruth>
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Apr '09 04:442 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack
    For you to start your discussion by saying "let me explain to you" as if you know everything and I know nothing is just rude and often it is a tone one needs to take when they are ignorant. I'm willing to over look it.
    From what I've heard (since I was not there) Ruth was not a one dimensional player. He has over 100 career stolen bases (even if he nd a little bit of defense just does very little to bridge the gap between Aaron and Ruth>
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you were questioning my selection. I then said I would explain my decision to you. If that is rude then I think you are the one who is ignorant. These polls are all conjecture. You said I was crazy because Ruth was not in my line up.
    I think you are out of line, but perhaps you think your answer is the right one. Whatever. I stand by my selections and my explanation. I also believe, as I explained earlier, that a portion of Ruth's success was due to Gehrig hitting behind him for most of his career. Whether you believe that or not is up to you, of course.

I really did not go into Ruth's pitching accomplishements, which were formidable. But I also didn't go into Bob Gibson's hitting prowess either. The fact is, Ructh would not make anyone's all time pitcher's list. It didn't matter in RF. I also stand by my statement that Aaron was the better athlete in the field defensively. You are entitled to your opinion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree