1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26450
    25 Apr '07 09:53
    Will be sorely missed - great player.

    Died today age 61.
  2. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    1553
    25 Apr '07 10:11
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Will be sorely missed - great player.

    Died today age 61.
    Don Revie should have been shot for not picking him when he was one of the best players in the world at the time.

    If Paul Scholes could tackle and play well when it was hot, he would be Alan Ball.
  3. Standard memberjay D
    Jay D
    London
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    81679
    25 Apr '07 12:24
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Don Revie should have been shot for not picking him when he was one of the best players in the world at the time.

    If Paul Scholes could tackle and play well when it was hot, he would be Alan Ball.
    think you might rate Paul Scholes a bit too much mate..

    What a player, i'm too young to have seen him live but would have loved it!!!!

    amazing player..absolute hero to the nation..and clubs he played for like Blackpool and was undoubtedly key in Everton winning their Championship.

    RIP
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    1295
    25 Apr '07 12:26
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Will be sorely missed - great player.

    Died today age 61.
    RIP Alan...

    One of the best Southampton managers we have had(and boy we have had quite a few !!!)

    Best memory of Alan Ball was Saints against Aston Villa...Le Tiss scored from a free kick seconds before the final whistle....Alan Ball went wild....so did i !!!!!! we won 1-0 !!!

    God bless you Alan 🙁
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    1553
    25 Apr '07 18:17
    Originally posted by jay D
    think you might rate Paul Scholes a bit too much mate..

    What a player, i'm too young to have seen him live but would have loved it!!!!

    amazing player..absolute hero to the nation..and clubs he played for like Blackpool and was undoubtedly key in Everton winning their Championship.

    RIP
    Certainly I rate Scholes very high indeed.

    A friend of mine went to School with Alan Ball, he would always tell stories how Ball would be amazing at cross country in both ability and pure effort.

    I remember Giles saying how in the last minute of the world cup final he was exhausted and virtually on his knees only to have Ball who was the kid of the squad swear at him to get back and defend. Not many people ever swore at Giles and lived!
  6. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    36210
    26 Apr '07 01:21
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Certainly I rate Scholes very high indeed.

    A friend of mine went to School with Alan Ball, he would always tell stories how Ball would be amazing at cross country in both ability and pure effort.

    I remember Giles saying how in the last minute of the world cup final he was exhausted and virtually on his knees only to have Ball who was the kid of the squad swear at him to get back and defend. Not many people ever swore at Giles and lived!
    who is this giles,not the well known hardman cartoonist from the daily express
  7. Swansea
    Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    33584
    26 Apr '07 16:07
    Sad day, I missed the news that he died and just found out! :'( A very good player and he was a credit to the game, he will be missed like mad!
  8. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    86698
    29 Apr '07 11:39
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    RIP Alan...

    One of the best Southampton managers we have had(and boy we have had quite a few !!!)

    Best memory of Alan Ball was Saints against Aston Villa...Le Tiss scored from a free kick seconds before the final whistle....Alan Ball went wild....so did i !!!!!! we won 1-0 !!!

    God bless you Alan 🙁
    Here's my theory:

    If Alan had not left saints to manage Man City, England would have won the world cup.

    See my reasoning?
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    1295
    30 Apr '07 07:47
    Originally posted by znsho
    Here's my theory:

    If Alan had not left saints to manage Man City, England would have won the world cup.

    See my reasoning?
    no.....
  10. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    86698
    30 Apr '07 12:081 edit
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    no.....
    Alan Ball was the only Southampton manager that fully appreciated Tiss. he played Tiss week in week out and made him the centre of the team. They were the years we did well and Tiss was voted Player of the Year. Other Saints managers dropped him and Tiss did not get the exposure he needed to break into the England team on a regular basis in mid twenties. Tiss would have won the World Cup for England in much the same way that Pele won wordl cups for Brazil.
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    1295
    30 Apr '07 12:19
    Originally posted by znsho
    Alan Ball was the only Southampton manager that fully appreciated Tiss. he played Tiss week in week out and made him the centre of the team. They were the years we did well and Tiss was voted Player of the Year. Other Saints managers dropped him and Tiss did not get the exposure he needed to break into the England team on a regular basis in mid twenties. Tiss ...[text shortened]... uld have won the World Cup for England in much the same way that Pele won wordl cups for Brazil.
    I see your reasoning now!!!

    And i wholeheartedly agree with you 🙂
Back to Top