1. Bramall Lane
    Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    38214
    07 Feb '10 20:21
    When someone attached to the beautiful game passed on, we used to have a minutes silence before kick-off as a mark of respect...
    The first time I know of that a minutes applause was used was when Georgie Best went to play for the big team in the sky...and it was memorable and apt.

    However, it appears that the 'applause' has now become the norm, and I'm not totally in agreement with it.

    Bring back the silence! (or just go to a Sheffield Wendy home game!)
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10258
    07 Feb '10 21:28
    not true. they held a silence at the scotland/france 6 nations game today... what gets me more is the 'minutes tribute' that ends up lasting about 25 seconds.


    (or a man utd home game)
  3. Bramall Lane
    Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    38214
    08 Feb '10 21:12
    Originally posted by trev33
    not true. they held a silence at the scotland/france 6 nations game today... what gets me more is the 'minutes tribute' that ends up lasting about 25 seconds.


    (or a man utd home game)
    Yes, I've noticed that a referees minute is a lot shorter than Joe Public's aswell!
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    08 Feb '10 21:15
    Originally posted by blade68
    Yes, I've noticed that a referees minute is a lot shorter than Joe Public's aswell!
    What's important is recognizing a great of the sport. he will be missed and we will often think of his great plays!
  5. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    10 Feb '10 20:44
    seems to be more of a football thing. i too dont like it.

    also this 'kicking ball' out when some1 is injured needes to be sortd out
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    10 Feb '10 22:39
    Originally posted by spurs73
    seems to be more of a football thing. i too dont like it.

    also this 'kicking ball' out when some1 is injured needes to be sortd out
    You don't like the good sportsmanship of the ball kickout to stop play? sometimes I really don't get you Brits!
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10258
    11 Feb '10 00:40
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    You don't like the good sportsmanship of the ball kickout to stop play? sometimes I really don't get you Brits!
    at the moment the rule is rather confusing... if it's a head injury the ref has to stop play, if not it's up to the other team to kick it out or not... then they don't the other team complains and when they do the fans of that team are baffled when they didn't go on the attack when they were totally entitled to.

    in rugby if there's a player on the field getting treatment the game goes on. always.

    in soccer it's too much of a grey area and needs to be looked at imo.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    11 Feb '10 03:30
    Originally posted by trev33
    at the moment the rule is rather confusing... if it's a head injury the ref has to stop play, if not it's up to the other team to kick it out or not... then they don't the other team complains and when they do the fans of that team are baffled when they didn't go on the attack when they were totally entitled to.

    in rugby if there's a player on the field g ...[text shortened]... goes on. always.

    in soccer it's too much of a grey area and needs to be looked at imo.
    Of course there's always a grey area, yet if there is a legit injury, as a player, I'd rather kickout than delay treatment for an opponent. Ambiguity aside, it simply makes sense to stop the game regardless of how.
  9. Bramall Lane
    Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    38214
    11 Feb '10 19:48
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Of course there's always a grey area, yet if there is a legit injury, as a player, I'd rather kickout than delay treatment for an opponent. Ambiguity aside, it simply makes sense to stop the game regardless of how.
    There's that much faking goes on, no-one knows a legitimate injury from a spurious one.... play on!

    Players usually know if there's been a serious injury and kick the ball out anyway if that's the case.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    11 Feb '10 20:08
    Originally posted by blade68
    There's that much faking goes on, no-one knows a legitimate injury from a spurious one.... play on!

    Players usually know if there's been a serious injury and kick the ball out anyway if that's the case.
    does anyone remember the Holland V Portugal game world cup match when i think it was Holland kicked the ball out to stop play for one of the opposition was down and the usual customary and gentlemanly thing is to give it back when play resumes, but Portugal simply kept it. A real grudge match if ever there was.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    11 Feb '10 20:49
    Originally posted by blade68
    There's that much faking goes on, no-one knows a legitimate injury from a spurious one.... play on!

    Players usually know if there's been a serious injury and kick the ball out anyway if that's the case.
    I'm referring only to the real injuries. The faking is indeed a scourge of soccer. Latin American soccer is the worst. Onelittle kick and they roll around on the ground like a tenia saginata with seizures!
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Joined
    23 Sep '03
    Moves
    15902
    11 Feb '10 21:07
    re: OP - Applause replaced silence when certain sections of fans stopped showing the respect the silence commands.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    11 Feb '10 22:12
    Originally posted by rhb
    re: OP - Applause replaced silence when certain sections of fans stopped showing the respect the silence commands.
    Indeed the disrespectful behavior on the part of fans is a real nuisance. May Best rest in peace and may the great soccer coach upstairs give him plenty to do or just let him reminisce about the great old days!
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10258
    12 Feb '10 01:29
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I'm referring only to the real injuries. The faking is indeed a scourge of soccer. Latin American soccer is the worst. Onelittle kick and they roll around on the ground like a tenia saginata with seizures!
    that's the point though, what is real and what is fake.. how can we tell? in rugby they aren't any fake injuries. i'd like to see the same in soccer and if that means that a team loses a player for a few mins while he's on the ground fine.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    2996
    12 Feb '10 02:07
    Originally posted by trev33
    that's the point though, what is real and what is fake.. how can we tell? in rugby they aren't any fake injuries. i'd like to see the same in soccer and if that means that a team loses a player for a few mins while he's on the ground fine.
    problem though is soccer players would then equalize things by really whacking harder at the better players even more than they do already, hoping to take other team's best player out even momentarilly
Back to Top