1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 02:523 edits
    In case some of you have not heard of him, Aroldis Champman made his first debute in MLB as a Cincinnati Red tonight.

Who is Aroldis Champman? He is a Cuban native who pitched for the Cuban national team and helped win the World Series Classic in 2009. Why is he such a special player you may ask? In short, he has the arm of a cannon pitching with velocities as high as 108 mph at times. Before the World Series Classic, however, he tried to defect from Cuba in 2008. As a penalty for doing so, his Cuban captor and warden, namely Castro, gave him a suspension from the team. It was deemed a conditional repreive. After all, he was far too talented to ban from Cuban baseball and was later allowed to return in 2009 for the World Series Classic. Then later that year, he was able to defect in Rotterdam Nehterlands and immediately petitioned MLB to enter the draft. Shocking the baseball world, the small market team Reds acquired Chapman in a 6 year deal worth over $30 million. Most had pegged him to go to a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox.

Tonight Chapman came out of the bull pen to pitch the 8th inning against the Brew Crew making his ML debute. His first pitch was 98 mph and his fastest pitch was 103 mph. In all, he made 8 pitches to retire the side. The energy was electric as I watched the man-child Chapman basically look as though he made major league hitters pee themselves at the plate.

All I can say to all you Yankee and Red Sox fans out there is EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT BABY!!

😀

At least, that is until his contract is up around 2012. :'(

Welcome to America Aroldis Chapman!! I am glad you made it out of Alcatraz. You have a bright future indeed.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 15:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    In case some of you have not heard of him, Aroldis Champman made his first debute in MLB as a Cincinnati Red tonight.

Who is Aroldis Champman? He is a Cuban native who pitched for the Cuban national team and helped win the World Series Classic in 2009. Why is he such a special player you may ask? In short, he has the arm of a cannon pitching with veloci ...[text shortened]... ica Aroldis Chapman!! I am glad you made it out of Alcatraz. You have a bright future indeed.
    your Reds are doing everything possible to undermine your position about how unfair it is for the small market teams.

Now that the Cardinals seem unable to beat even the worst teams, it appears the Reds are on their way to making this a most interesting post-season.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 15:56
    He signed a 6 year deal which could be voided if he becomes arbitration eligible in 2013 or 2014.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 18:06
    Chapman could give the Reds the same type of bullpen boost David Price did for the Rays a couple years back. I see them going deep into the playoffs and, if I were a Reds fan, I would tell Whodey that he is not deserving of watching a single post-season game that they play.
  5. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 21:07

Who is Aroldis Champman? He is a Cuban native who pitched for the Cuban national team and helped win the World Series Classic in 2009. Why is he such a special player you may ask? In short, he has the arm of a cannon pitching with veloci ...[text shortened]... ica Aroldis Chapman!! I am glad you made it out of Alcatraz. You have a bright future indeed.
    Oswold. Papps. Champman. Will people creating threads about high-profile pitchers in this forum ever learn to spell their names correctly?

That aside, I think that Cincinnati have the NL pennant this year. San Diego doesn't score enough runs. The Reds score way too many runs for them not to score against the Padres. And they have exceptional young pitching and continue to add guys like Chapman. San Francisco, Atlanta, and Philadelphia I am still not sold on. Any of them could end up as the Wild Card, and Atlanta and Philly are still not that far apart in the East. So I think that the two best teams are the Padres and Reds, of which the Reds are far better. I think, however, that they will lose to the Rays in the World Series. Go Rays!
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Sep '10 15:22

When A-Rod blasts a moonshot off Chapman into Monument Park in the bottom of the 9th to break 4-4 tie and clinch the 4th game of a 4 game sweep of the World Series, we'll see how enthusiastic you are about him then...

😛
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 12:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    When A-Rod blasts a moonshot off Chapman into Monument Park in the bottom of the 9th to break 4-4 tie and clinch the 4th game of a 4 game sweep of the World Series, we'll see how enthusiastic you are about him then...

😛
    All I can say is tha A-roid better continue taking those steroids!! Of course, if Chapman does the same he may start killing people.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 12:58
    Originally posted by golfer1
    [b]Oswold. Papps. Champman. Will people creating threads about high-profile pitchers in this forum ever learn to spell their names correctly?
    No.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 12:59
    Originally posted by golfer1
    [That aside, I think that Cincinnati have the NL pennant this year. San Diego doesn't score enough runs. The Reds score way too many runs for them not to score against the Padres. And they have exceptional young pitching and continue to add guys like Chapman. San Francisco, Atlanta, and Philadelphia I am still not sold on. Any of them could end up as the Wild C ...[text shortened]... are far better. I think, however, that they will lose to the Rays in the World Series. Go Rays![/b]
    Game on!! 😀
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 13:00
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I would tell Whodey that he is not deserving of watching a single post-season game that they play.[/b]
    😠

What exactly is deserving of having to watch nearly 2 decades of losing baseball?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 13:01
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    your Reds are doing everything possible to undermine your position about how unfair it is for the small market teams.

Now that the Cardinals seem unable to beat even the worst teams, it appears the Reds are on their way to making this a most interesting post-season.
    I offered a convincing analysis of the situation. Even if my Reds "beat the odds", the bottom line is that they must overcome the odds.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 13:26
    😠

What exactly is deserving of having to watch nearly 2 decades of losing baseball?
    I'm a Jays fan. 80 wins and third place in the toughest division seemingly every year since '93. You don't hear me crying about it.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 13:53
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I'm a Jays fan. 80 wins and third place in the toughest division seemingly every year since '93. You don't hear me crying about it.
    Your team is in a good place for two reasons. They have nice whether and no state income taxes. Those are two reasons their salary can remain relativiely low and still attract talent.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 15:04
    Your team is in a good place for two reasons. They have nice whether and no state income taxes. Those are two reasons their salary can remain relativiely low and still attract talent.
    Sometimes, whodey, you are very clueless.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Sep '10 15:061 edit
    Actually, scratch that. You are ALWAYS clueless.

No income taxes. That's a friggin' laugh.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree