Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    03 Jul '15 09:22
    Aussies a buck twenty-five on?


    Does any know why England went to Spain for four days a week before first test?
    Any logic to this?
  2. 04 Jul '15 14:37
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Does any know why England went to Spain for four days a week before first test?
    Any logic to this?
    They need an excuse for when they lose?
  3. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    12 Jul '15 03:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    They need an excuse for when they lose?
    That Spanish retreat should be mandatory. England played well, aussies played crap.
    Aussies look bad when they get beat.

    [England 1-0 ]
  4. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    12 Jul '15 10:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    That Spanish retreat should be mandatory. England played well, aussies played crap.
    Aussies look bad when they get beat.

    [England 1-0 ]
    most teams can look bad when they lose!

    Strong Aussie batting order, but Ryan Harris a massive loss in England

    Haddin looks past it

    Series on!
  5. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    19 Jul '15 22:22
    order has been restored to the universe.

    Steve Smith bats like in the backyard - classic. I hope it doesn't go to his head, he's got to captain the team soon.

    Score 1-1
  6. 20 Jul '15 21:41
    England took a pasting, Aussie bowlers were outstanding, accurate and aggressive. How can England recover?
  7. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    21 Jul '15 06:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    England took a pasting, Aussie bowlers were outstanding, accurate and aggressive. How can England recover?
    Hopefully like the Aussies did after their pasting in the first Test, but not too sure!

    The 2 Aussie changes to their team made a massive difference, not sure we have talent like Mitchell Marsh 'in reserve'
  8. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    21 Jul '15 12:36
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Hopefully like the Aussies did after their pasting in the first Test, but not too sure!

    The 2 Aussie changes to their team made a massive difference, not sure we have talent like Mitchell Marsh 'in reserve'
    Yeah, I'm glad Watson is gone . He couldn't run, wouldn't take singles, and after several years with an average of just 30 odd ... Well I've been calling for his head for ages.

    There is still so much advantage with winning the toss.
    I still believe that there should be one toss at the start of the 1st test , then just alternate the captains call for the rest.
    (This has been significant in ashes of the past where the team winning the toss almost couldn't lose and the other team could only play for a draw)
  9. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    21 Jul '15 12:50
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah, I'm glad Watson is gone . He couldn't run, wouldn't take singles, and after several years with an average of just 30 odd ... Well I've been calling for his head for ages.

    There is still so much advantage with winning the toss.
    I still believe that there should be one toss at the start of the 1st test , then just alternate the captains call fo ...[text shortened]... re the team winning the toss almost couldn't lose and the other team could only play for a draw)
    he couldn't bowl in the end either ~ we always liked him opening or at #6!

    Young Marsh looks a real prospect, genuine all rounder (NEARLY worth his place as either batsman OR bowler)

    Bet you're really worried about Voges!

    You have a point about the toss, but then home team groundsmen could prepare pitches to suit England batting 1st/2nd in advance

    Just hope it works out 3-2 (toss) over series to Cook or Clarke

    We are struggling for class replacements ~ expect young Bairstowe for next test (he's averaging over 100 this year), but that will mean changing batting order, especially messing Root about.
  10. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    21 Jul '15 17:17 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    he couldn't bowl in the end either ~ we always liked him opening or at #6!

    Young Marsh looks a real prospect, genuine all rounder (NEARLY worth his place as either batsman OR bowler)

    Bet you're really worried about Voges!

    You have a point about the toss, but then home team groundsmen could prepare pitches to suit England batting 1st/2nd ...[text shortened]... g over 100 this year), but that will mean changing batting order, especially messing Root about.
    The aussie batting looks good now. Despite people saying that Clarke is done and whatnot, there is skill and experience in australias batting. Voges should be fine. Steve Smith is just awesome.

    I dont think pitch preparation can influence the game all that much. You could even say that if you try to suit the pitch to one team then it may well backfire (as it did at Lords? )

    I haven't seen much of your new opener (whats his name?) , but he seems a bit green at this level.

    If England are to get back to top form I think it will be the likes of Root and Stokes that will need to carry them into the future.
  11. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    21 Jul '15 20:56
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The aussie batting looks good now. Despite people saying that Clarke is done and whatnot, there is skill and experience in australias batting. Voges should be fine. Steve Smith is just awesome.

    I dont think pitch preparation can influence the game all that much. You could even say that if you try to suit the pitch to one team then it may well backfir ...[text shortened]... rm I think it will be the likes of Root and Stokes that will need to carry them into the future.
    cant argue with a lot of that, my friend

    What have you done to Smith? he was hopeless 2 years ago. Looks like Bradman now!

    The opener is Adam Lyth. Scored a few runs for Yorks, played in tests vs NZ and got a 100. Doubtful of his long term ability. If it were up to me, I'd get Geoff Boycott out of the commentary box, and put him in Thursday morning! But I remember the 70's!!

    Good luck to both teams on Thursday ~ more to England (perlleeazze!!)
  12. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    22 Jul '15 07:39
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    cant argue with a lot of that, my friend

    What have you done to Smith? he was hopeless 2 years ago. Looks like Bradman now!

    The opener is Adam Lyth. Scored a few runs for Yorks, played in tests vs NZ and got a 100. Doubtful of his long term ability. If it were up to me, I'd get Geoff Boycott out of the commentary box, and put him in Thursday ...[text shortened]... t I remember the 70's!!

    Good luck to both teams on Thursday ~ more to England (perlleeazze!!)
    It's going to be closer than a lot think.
    Everytime I look this thread up I have to see my op saying that oz are 1.25 on.Eeek!!

    10 days rest England and will be determined. Just because Australia have talent doesn't mean they have the confidence of the West Indies or India.
    If the aussies start bad then who knows what can happen.
    A couple of good English bats may just be due for a big one, and if England get 420+ then look out ...
    Be back at start of third test.
  13. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    29 Jul '15 23:02
    good first day for us..

    long way to go..
  14. 31 Jul '15 21:35
    England gave Aussies a real spanking today. Michael Clarke having a nightmare time
  15. Standard member st dominics preview
    troll taunter
    31 Jul '15 21:46
    Hi robbie

    a bizarre series

    let's not count too many chickens yet!!