Aussie Tennis

Aussie Tennis

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
30 Jan 09
2 edits

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You don't really understand the arguement, do you? You are comparing the greats of the past with their equipment and tactics of their time against the players of today with thier equipment and their tactics and making comparisons, which is utterly ridiculous. If you took the greats from the past, in their prime and put today's equipment in their hands, ...[text shortened]... r Laver, et al would fare very well in any era if they were all of the same equipment and age.
i dont agree. todays players are much stronger and fitter. on top of that your trying to tell me that a great serve and volleyer like macenroe with modern day equipment would adapt to a new style thats advantagous in todays game??

not a chance, that would mean macenroe would be willing to slug it out from the baseline, he'd get smoked by anyone in the top 20. that would totally change macenroe's game and it just wouldn't work. thats like telling shaq to hit 3 pointers instead of dunks or like telling steve nash to make dunks instead of hitting 3 pointers. that would never work at least not with any consistancy.

on top of that macenroe still plays tennis, he plays on the senior circuit. he now uses modern technology but his still a serve and volleyer. its hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

your style of game is almost herditery, maybe thats not the right word but llyton hewitt will never hit the ball hard, james blake will never be good at defense. much the same way sydney corsby will never be a fighter, patrick roy could never be a center man, sean avery would never be a goal scorer (his a tough guy fighter).

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
30 Jan 09

Originally posted by Arrak
i dont agree. todays players are much stronger and fitter. on top of that your trying to tell me that a great serve and volleyer like macenroe with modern day equipment would adapt to a new style thats advantagous in todays game??

not a chance, that would mean macenroe would be willing to slug it out from the baseline, he'd get smoked by anyone in the top ...[text shortened]... uld never be a center man, sean avery would never be a goal scorer (his a tough guy fighter).
😲

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
30 Jan 09

not a chance, that would mean macenroe would be willing to slug it out from the baseline, he'd get smoked by anyone in the top ...[text shortened]... uld never be a center man, sean avery would never be a goal scorer (his a tough guy fighter).
Sigh....some never get it.

You are now comparing James Blake and Lleyton Hewitt to the best that ever played? Give me a break!!

Why do you think anyone excels at anything? Because they adapt to what their opponents do, or they invent something different that no one has an answer for. Yes, they would change their style if the scenarios where changed. McEnroe still plays serve and volley on the senior tour....Why?...Who the hell is he playing against??? The very same contemporaries he beat with serve and volley when he was on the regular tour!! Get a grip man!!! You are missing the boat.

Using your arguement, no actors from the past could ever be as good as actors of today because of cinegraphic advancements. I am obviously wasting my time explaining the world and relativity to you because you have the mindset of a tennis backboard. Keep those blinders on and you'll be fine (as long as you don't step out in front of that oncoming bus!!). Have a nice life.

Moves
30 Jan 09

LMAO

you do realize you've pretty mush said that players play is defined by what equipment they have and then a couple of posts later say their style of play is hereditary?

🙄

btw dude get a spell checker.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
30 Jan 09

Originally posted by trev33
LMAO

btw dude get a spell checker.
LOL...you might want to borrow it as well.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
30 Jan 09

Serena will win the women's. I look for Federer to make the final against the Murray-Nadal winner. I will root for Fed, but no guarantees there.
Damn, this guy is good!! 😉

Moves
30 Jan 09

LOL...you might want to borrow it as well.
i have my own thanks.

it wouldn't be any good and picking up grammAr though 😉

A

Moves
30 Jan 09

You are now comparing James Blake and Lleyton Hewitt to the best that ever played? Give me a break!!

Why do you think anyone excels at anything? Because they adapt to what their opponents do, or they invent something different that no one has an answer for. Yes, they would change their style if the scenarios where chang ...[text shortened]... 'll be fine (as long as you don't step out in front of that oncoming bus!!). Have a nice life.
ok some of my anologies may have not been the greatest.

im not sure if i get what your saying but i think your saying that macenroe would still be one of the greatest of all time and that hed adapt to todays game. meaning no more serve and volleyies... instead he'd be a baseliner?

or are you saying that he'd still dominate todays game with serve and volley game?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
30 Jan 09

ok some of my anologies may have not been the greatest.

im not sure if i get what your saying but i think your saying that macenroe would still be one of the greatest of all time and that hed adapt to todays game. meaning no more serve and volleyies... instead he'd be a baseliner?

or are you saying that he'd still dominate todays game with serve and volley game?
I said if McEnroe, or Borg or Sampars were up and comers today, their play would be predicated on the equipment and conditions of today. They would have had to adapted or floundered.

A

Moves
30 Jan 09

Why do you think anyone excels at anything? Because they adapt to what their opponents do, or they invent something different that no one has an answer for. Yes, they would change their style if the scenarios where chang ...[text shortened]... 'll be fine (as long as you don't step out in front of that oncoming bus!!). Have a nice life.
llyton hewitt was a bad match up for sampras. hewitt had a very strong record against sampras. hewitt loves playing serve and volleyiers becuase he passes so well. in the 2001 us open final sampras got crushed in straight sets!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=sampras+vs+hewitt+2001+us+open&aq=f

by the way have you seen sampras lately. his a fat sloth! he would have never been domininat baseliner, his fitness was questionable be would have never endured long grinding points.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
01 Feb 09

currently i'm in awe

A

Moves
01 Feb 09
1 edit

i have a conspiracy theory involving the aussie open final check out this thread, its about the 11th post.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=do_you_beleive_in_the_illuminati%3F&threadid=107535

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
02 Feb 09

by the way have you seen sampras lately. his a fat sloth!
Last I saw him was a few months ago; he beat Querrey in an exhibition. Hardly something a 'fat sloth' could do.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Feb 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Last I saw him was a few months ago; he beat Querrey in an exhibition. Hardly something a 'fat sloth' could do.
SG, opinions are like anuses, and Arrak has three of them. 😕