1. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 08:51
    i was beginning to think that India would hold on for a draw. Much more entertaining test than the first - India actually put up a fight this time.

16 in a row now. can the Aussies break their own record of 16 consecutive wins?
  2. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 09:04
    Sure they can. The next match is being played over in Perth on a wicket that is much more suited to Australias bowlers than Indias. I'd say Shaun Tait will come in and he and Brett Lee with knock the Indians heads off.

The Melbourne and Sydney grounds suited India a bit more and the Aussies got through them. So now, Perth and Adelaide would seem to be more suitable for Australia.
  3. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 15:431 edit
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Sure they can. The next match is being played over in Perth on a wicket that is much more suited to Australias bowlers than Indias. I'd say Shaun Tait will come in and he and Brett Lee with knock the Indians heads off.

The Melbourne and Sydney grounds suited India a bit more and the Aussies got through them. So now, Perth and Adelaide would seem to be more suitable for Australia.
    All true, and if Bucknor officiates again, it'll be even more certain. Looks like the Indians are going to try to make sure that doesn't happen though. Can't say I blame them.
  4. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 19:49
    Well, Bucknor is obviously having a bad time but you can't say that he is on the Aussies side and giving them all the close calls. It works both ways - some go to the Aussies and some to the Indians. But yes, I do agree that the 2 umpires for this test should not be at the next one in Perth.
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 04:53
    Well, Bucknor is obviously having a bad time but you can't say that he is on the Aussies side and giving them all the close calls. It works both ways - some go to the Aussies and some to the Indians. But yes, I do agree that the 2 umpires for this test should not be at the next one in Perth.
    i didn't mean to suggest Bucknor was biased, merely that the Indians bore the brunt of the bad decisions in this test. He's had a great career - 120 tests - but after that performance, perhaps he needs to undergo eyesight and hearing tests.
  6. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 18:08
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    i didn't mean to suggest Bucknor was biased, merely that the Indians bore the brunt of the bad decisions in this test. He's had a great career - 120 tests - but after that performance, perhaps he needs to undergo eyesight and hearing tests.
    Bucknor is prone to bad decisions. But Dravid got a really poor one in that test.

Hopefully the racism thing will blow over and India can concentrate on the next two tests.

But one has to offer congratualtions to Ricky Pontings men on their 16 straight wins - they look invincible at the moment.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 21:221 edit
    Bucknor still umpires?
    He should have been declared legally blind 40 tests ago. I can't believe the ICC still allows that guy on a cricket field!

What a crock!

Aaaah, I just saw the other umpire was Benson.

What did anyone expect? One blind umpire + one retarded umpire = controversy
  8. Standard membergaurav2711
    walking...
    ...back
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 18:48
    Originally posted by invigorate
    they look invincible at the moment.
    Do they?? Well yes....with the support of all the 3 umpires and match referee, they do!! Not to forget, that ponting gets to the umpires job as well (gangulys dismissal for your reference).

Please see the list of wrong decisions that I can remember from this test...
    1. Ponting caught by Dhoni off Gangulys bowling - not given.
    2. Ponting lbw H.Singh - Inside edge
    3. Symonds caught by dhoni off Ishant Sharma - not given
    4. Symonds stumped by Dhoni - referred to 3rd umpire who declares it not out ( the blind bat)
    5. Symonds stumped again - Bucknor the blind bat this time doesnt refer it to the 3rd umpire.
    6. Wasim Jaffer bB.Lee - off a no ball. No ball not called
    7. Hussey caught Dhoni - not given
    8. Hussey lbw Kumble not given
    9. Dravid c.Gilchrist b.Symonds (which idiot on earth could even see the bat??)
    10. Ganguly c.M Clarke b.B Lee - ball touched the ground - 3rd umpire not referred - 4th umpire (read ponting) referred.

I am sure I have missed a few!!

The aussies might have got a thrashing in this game if it wasnt for the decisions.

The Oz sure did look invincible with the kind of form that they (the umpires) were in!!
  9. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 00:59
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Bucknor still umpires?
    He should have been declared legally blind 40 tests ago. I can't believe the ICC still allows that guy on a cricket field!

What a crock!

Aaaah, I just saw the other umpire was Benson.

What did anyone expect? One blind umpire + one retarded umpire = controversy
    YOU DONT LIKE AUSTRALIA DO YOU?!😉
  10. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 01:53
    Originally posted by spurs73
    YOU DONT LIKE AUSTRALIA DO YOU?!😉
    Most people don't tend to like those who are successful - if you're winning, suddenly you become arrogant and all sorts of things.. then the comments stop when you start losing more..

He probably doesn't like Australia because we always beat South Africa - especially when it counts.

But sooner or later, Australia will come back to the pack again. I'm not going to enjoy it but it will happen. Then you can all cheer that! That's sport for you.
  11. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 04:38
    Originally posted by gaurav2711
    Do they?? Well yes....with the support of all the 3 umpires and match referee, they do!! Not to forget, that ponting gets to the umpires job as well (gangulys dismissal for your reference).

Please see the list of wrong decisions that I can remember from this test...
    1. Ponting caught by Dhoni off Gangulys bowling - not given.
    2. Ponting lbw H.Singh - ...[text shortened]... ions.

The Oz sure did look invincible with the kind of form that they (the umpires) were in!!
    well, there's two new umpires in Perth. let's wait to see what happens there and in Adelaide.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 06:51
    He probably doesn't like Australia because we always beat South Africa - especially when it counts.
    Hmmm.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_in_South_Africa,_5th_ODI,_2006
  13. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 10:05
    Hmmm.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_in_South_Africa,_5th_ODI,_2006
    Now don't start this.. you know I will win.

Examples:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/2007_Cricket_World_Cup_-_2nd_Semi-Final:_Australia_vs_South_Africa ---- Not to mention the qualifying game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Cricket_World_Cup#2nd_Semi-Final_-_17_June_1999 ---- AS well as the win in the Super 6 stage to the Aussies

http://www.uk.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1997-98/OD_TOURNEYS/CUODS/AUS_RSA_CUODS_ODI-FINAL3_27JAN1998.html

Not to mention each of the test series played.. so yeah, think I've got this one covered.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:031 edit
    Now don't start this.. you know I will win.

Examples:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/2007_Cricket_World_Cup_-_2nd_Semi-Final:_Australia_vs_South_Africa ---- Not to mention the qualifying game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Cricket_World_Cup#2nd_Semi-Final_-_17_June_1999 ---- AS well as the win in the Super 6 stage to the Aussies

http://www.u ...[text shortened]... l

Not to mention each of the test series played.. so yeah, think I've got this one covered.
    Oh sure, you perform better than us at world cups - there is no doubt about that.
    Overall, I think you've played better cricket than us for the last, probably about a decade.

BUT

We won the greatest ODI of all time in a series decider, so your statement:
    "He probably doesn't like Australia because we always beat South Africa - especially when it counts. "
    is obviously untrue.
  15. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:22
    Oh sure, you perform better than us at world cups - there is no doubt about that.
    Overall, I think you've played better cricket than us for the last, probably about a decade.

BUT

We won the greatest ODI of all time in a series decider, so your statement:
    "He probably doesn't like Australia because we [b]always
    beat South Africa - especially when it counts. "
    is obviously untrue.[/b]
    OK.. you got me on a technicality there.. however a World Cup counts for much more than any given series.

Do you really think that ODI was the greatest of all time? Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. For mine, no. This is because I see cricket as a contest between bat and ball. That game was simply a batting exhibition from both sides where the bowlers had very little influence. So for the sake of a contest between the batsmen and the bowlers, it didn't rate (IMHO) as highly as a good match on a slightly more bowler friendly pitch. A score of 220 - 230 can make for a great game - something there for the batsmen as well as the bowlers. No sour grapes from me - we can't say we didn't have chances to win but just couldn't stop South Africa on that day.

The same applies for Twenty20 - that is just a batting exhibition with lots of big shots. It's fun but I'd hate to see it become "the" game. I'm more of a traditionalist and prefer the tests and then the 0ne dayers..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree