Baseball question

Baseball question

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
18 Apr 13

Why don't the fielders in baseball, aside from the backstop, play without gloves like cricket players do?

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Why don't the fielders in baseball, aside from the backstop, play without gloves like cricket players do?
Because catching the ball without protection would cause injury.

F

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by SmookieP
Because catching the ball without protection would cause injury.
It only rarely happens in cricket.

F

Moves
18 Apr 13
1 edit

While pitching and batting present a kind of raw, pure sporting challenge ~~ throw this ball over THERE at that guy - hit that BALL as far as you can or in a certain place with this stick of wood run as FAST as you can from here to there ~~ fielding is robbed of its raw, pure sporting skill aspect by giving them a large, shaped, webbed leather protection that makes catching relatively easy OR makes the action of catching contrived or unnatural by necessitating the use of a certain hand.

Moves
18 Apr 13

ive got a few baseball questions ive always wondered about.

are players picked on their ability to bat and pitch and then double up as fielders and catchers? or are some people pure fielders and catchers?

when the stats say batting average .487 (or something similar) what is that a calculation of?

F

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
when the stats say batting average .487 (or something similar) what is that a calculation of?
If the batting average is .487 or something similar then I think the calculation will one of many, many millions of dollars a year.

U

Moves
18 Apr 13

ive got a few baseball questions ive always wondered about.

are players picked on their ability to bat and pitch and then double up as fielders and catchers? or are some people pure fielders and catchers?

A batting average of .487 means they get a hit about 48.7% of the time. It would also be an all time record.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
Gee why don't they bat the ball with their bare hands like handball players do?

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
A batting average of .487 means they get a hit about 48.7% of the time. It would also be an all time record.
ah, i see. so 1 is equal to 100%. what do they consider a hit?

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
If the batting average is .487 or something similar then I think the calculation will one of many, many millions of dollars a year.
ive just looked it up, it would make my imaginary player the best ever. the best modern day players seem to hit around 30-35%, i wonder what the average strike rate is in cricket?

Z

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by FMF
While pitching and batting present a kind of raw, pure sporting challenge ~~ throw this ball over THERE at that guy - hit that BALL as far as you can or in a certain place with this stick of wood run as FAST as you can from here to there ~~ fielding is robbed of its raw, pure sporting skill aspect by giving them a large, shaped, webbed leather protection that ma ...[text shortened]... makes the action of catching contrived or unnatural by necessitating the use of a certain hand.
Putting it simply, more fielding in baseball and the need for quick throws and catches between other fielders. Runs are at a premium and pitchers in baseball will more often pitch to induce contact and generate outs via fielding. As opposed to a run out in cricket you have a groundout in baseball which you can picture as another fielder instead of the stumps. An infielder who fields a ball in play has to throw it as hard and as fast as he can to another infielder at another base before the baserunner reaches him. You can imagine the effect this type of play would have on a bare hand. With the enhanced emphasis on fielding in baseball, a glove is necessary to prevent injury. An infielder who attempted to play an entire 2-3 hour game without a glove would probably have no hand left.

On top of that, the enhanced range you have with a glove makes for some pretty spectacular looking plays on a regular basis.

Z

Moves
18 Apr 13
4 edits

ah, i see. so 1 is equal to 100%. what do they consider a hit?
A batter is out if he:

1. Strikes out - You can strike out swinging when you miss a pitch or you can strike out looking when you don't swing at a pitch that is within the strike zone (imaginary box made up of the width of home plate and the batters knees and chest)
2. Flies or lines out - similar to a dismissal in cricket. A ball hit into play is caught before it hits the ground
3. Grounds out - The baserunner does not make it first base before the ball he has hit into play that has touched the ground is fielded by a player, thrown to first base and caught by the infielder touching first base.

A hit is a ball put into play where a runner makes it to first base safely or beyond.

EDIT: I should probably add that a batter in baseball is compelled to run to first base if he puts a ball in play, unlike cricket where a batsman does not have to run after he hits.

F

Moves
18 Apr 13

Originally posted by no1marauder
Gee why don't they bat the ball with their bare hands like handball players do?
Was there a time when baseball was played by fielders without special gloves, like cricket is?

Z

Moves
18 Apr 13

Here we see the main difference between the two sports. Whereas baseball is a celebrated game of the common folk, cricket is steeped in snobbery. 😛

F

Moves
18 Apr 13

ive just looked it up, it would make my imaginary player the best ever. the best modern day players seem to hit around 30-35%, i wonder what the average strike rate is in cricket?
England captain Alistair Cook scores on average about 47 runs off every 100 balls he faces [in Tests]. Matt Prior the Wicketkeeper scores about 63. Australia's Michael Clarke - possibly the best batsman in the world at this moment - scores around 56. In the shortest form of the game (T20) West Indies' Chris Gayle has a strike rate of 144 runs off every 100 balls faced.