1. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 17:46
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I really don't know how cricket is played. You're saying the "pitcher" can bounce the ball to the batter (hitter)??

Aren't cricket bats flat? I could imaging that would cause a lot more absorption of the energy in the ball. I'm willing to bet the ball goes a lot further and at much higher velocity with a round bat.
    I don't think there is any significant difference in the speed of the delivery, bat speed or ball speed off the bat in either sport.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 17:562 edits
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    I don't think there is any significant difference in the speed of the delivery, bat speed or ball speed off the bat in either sport.
    I don't know. I'm watching some cricket highlights on YouTube and the ball velocity on both sides seems to be significantly less.

But it also looks like they play on a much shorter field and they're not wearing gloves, so it's just different. Also, the ball tends to stay in play very low to the grass much of the time. In baseball the ball is almost always going airborne, except for a rare bunt.

It looks like they're not allowed to just hit it straight into the stands? Does it have to bounce in field first?
  3. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 18:14
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I don't know. I'm watching some cricket highlights on YouTube and the ball velocity on both sides seems to be significantly less.

But it also looks like they play on a much shorter field and they're not wearing gloves, so it's just different. Also, the ball tends to stay in play very low to the grass much of the time. In baseball the ball is al ...[text shortened]... not allowed to just hit it straight into the stands? Does it have to bounce in field first?
    There are a lot of stats on the physics of both games available online. Cricketers can bowl the bowl pretty fast with the highest being over 100 mph though baseball pitchers reach the 100 mph mark more frequently.

Hitting it straight into the stands, or over the boundary, is equivalent to a home run in baseball but worth 6 runs. A ball that reaches the boundary on a bounce or on the ground is worth 4.
  4. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 18:17
    You might be right, there might be some difference, but there's no doubt it takes a lot of cajones to field in cricket with bare hands. I know I wouldn't want to do it.
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 18:53
    You might be right, there might be some difference, but there's no doubt it takes a lot of cajones to field in cricket with bare hands. I know I wouldn't want to do it.
    There is a fielding position called "silly point". You field probably around 6-10 ft away from the bat.
  6. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:00
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    There is a fielding position called "silly point". You field probably around 6-10 ft away from the bat.
    Does that position go to the dumbest player? 😉
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:09
    Does that position go to the dumbest player? 😉
    To be fair.. you would only field there off of spin bowling.. looking to catch one that popped up from a blocked shot. And you are allowed a helmet. But.. if the bowler gets his line wrong.. you are fooked. If a spin bowler is on a hat-trick you will often see three or four fielders in these silly positions just to apply extra pressure to the batsman.
  8. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:191 edit
    Hitting it straight into the stands, or over the boundary, is equivalent to a home run in baseball but worth 6 runs.
    This can create some spectacular fielding. In baseball if an outfielder catches the ball running towards the boundary he clatters into the wall and the hitter is out. In cricket the boundary is a rope or similar on the ground. If a fielder catches the ball and his momentum takes him over the boundary rope then the batsman is not out and 6 runs are scored. What has happened in recent times with T20 is that in order to avoid this a fielder will catch the ball inside the boundary but then while over the boundary and still in the air will toss the ball back inside the boundary, land, turn around and jump back over the rope while the ball is still in the air and catch it. The conditions obviously have to be very specific for this to happen but it's fantastic when it does.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:22
    To be fair.. you would only field there off of spin bowling.. looking to catch one that popped up from a blocked shot. And you are allowed a helmet. But.. if the bowler gets his line wrong.. you are fooked. If a spin bowler is on a hat-trick you will often see three or four fielders in these silly positions just to apply extra pressure to the batsman.
    Short leg is arguably worse, and you had better be wearing shin guards if a bowler drops one short. Ouch!

I think the position was named after the physical implications of fielding there for too long.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:26
    Check out this catch. It would not have worked with a glove :-)

YouTube
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:29
    This can create some spectacular fielding. In baseball if an outfielder catches the ball running towards the boundary he clatters into the wall and the hitter is out. In cricket the boundary is a rope or similar on the ground. If a fielder catches the ball and his momentum takes him over the boundary rope then the batsman is not out and 6 runs are scored. ...[text shortened]... nditions obviously have to be very specific for this to happen but it's fantastic when it does.
    And, as if by magic.

YouTube

Watch from 3.34. The key is that you must keep your feet off the ground when over the boundary rope. Stunning.

However, I think the Collingwood catch at about 30 secs is the best of the lot.
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:32
    Check out this catch. It would not have worked with a glove :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0M5s7Xugc
    Amazing presence of mind to think of doing that.
  13. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 19:49
    Does a bowler ever get hit in the head with what we would call a line drive?
  14. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 20:12
    With all due respect, watching those catches, I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed unless it's an exaggeration that they are the best catches in cricket history or unless I'm missing some context. The exception being the 2nd catch in that reel. To be honest, that to me looks like a good highlight reel from about a month or two worth of baseball plays. Here's a sampling of the best plays from the first half of last year's baseball season, about 3 months. The editing is a bit much but the substance is still there:

YouTube

I searched youtube for a best cricket plays of 2012 but nothing turned up.
  15. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 20:18
    Does a bowler ever get hit in the head with what we would call a line drive?
    I don't recall an incident but I found this on youtube... nasty...

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree