1. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 22:45
    I've just read what that bearded clown Martin Adams has said about the PDC (The darts organisation of Phil The Power Taylor and Raymond Van Barneveld) he said "I've got no problem with the PDC and what it does, but we are the sport - it's as simple as that." This man should be drug tested, if the darts split did not happen, this fool would still be playing pub darts!!!

Rant over
  2. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 22:51
    Couldn't agree with you more.....
  3. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 14:022 edits
    Originally posted by Devil Dave14
    I've just read what that bearded clown Martin Adams has said about the PDC (The darts organisation of Phil The Power Taylor and Raymond Van Barneveld) he said "I've got no problem with the PDC and what it does, but we are the sport - it's as simple as that." This man should be drug tested, if the darts split did not happen, this fool would still be playing pub darts!!!

Rant over
    Don't be too hard on him, he'd be in the top 10 in the PDC on form, he's not a bad player at all, just needs to prove it this year with the title.

What he said was probably said in the excitement of being at the Lakeside. He knows the truth, you just wouldn't expect him to admit it in public.

Ironically, this pre-empted a thread I was about to start, but will add here...

What is the point in the BDO? It was sad at first to see darts split but what a shambles, two world titles, still, after about a decade.

Is there any hope of them getting a grip and merging?

One more question, would Trina Gulliver hack it in the men's tournament?
  4. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 17:31
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Don't be too hard on him, he'd be in the top 10 in the PDC on form,
    Any stats to back up this claim?
  5. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 09:39
    WTF?
    BDO is the sport.
    PDC is a SKY/Murdoch money making scheme like Packer's World Series Cricket.
    The BDO still produces players that can compete at PDC level e.g. Barney.

Plus, Adams is a fantastic sport and a great player.
  6. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 11:351 edit
    Originally posted by Varg

The BDO still produces players that can compete at PDC level e.g. Barney.

Plus, Adams is a fantastic sport and a great player.
    The BDO doesn't produce these players, the players choose to join the BDO, as this is the easiest option for players to enter the big time in the darting world.

As soon as they establish themselves they move on ala Barney

The PDC maybe a Murdoch sponsored event, but that doesn't detract from the fact they have the better players. I love darts, and yet i couldn't be bothered to go 5 minutes down the road too watch the BDO lot when i used to live in Frimley Green, as it was always a non event. The only time i got fairly excited about the BDO was when Tom Ted Hanky got his 170 finish to win the title (great 3 darts)...

So can you guys stop saying the BDO is better, if you think Martin Adams could compete in the PDC, please produce the stats.......

I bet his 3 dart average is around 5-7 less than the the top ten guys in the PDC...
    And i reckon his checkout percentage is about the same percentage less than the PDC guys...

Edit- "lets play darts"- How friggin corney is that, i wouldn't waste a fiver to go listen to the MC saying that, it would wind me up......
  7. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 12:04
    I don't know what the comparative averages are between the top players in the two systems.
    But last year Eric Bristow was mouthing it off about how the BDO players were so poor (he did it in front of camera on BBC when they stuck a mic in front of him so fair play to him for being open).
    He stated that Barney would not cut it at the PDC yet he has proven Bristow wrong spectacularly.
    In fact most guys who have migrated across have done pretty well (not that they've outclassed Taylor of course).
    Of course the PDC will end up with the best players if they all head in that direction but I don't see what you've got against the BDO.
  8. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 12:222 edits
    Barneys a fantastic player and the BDO were lucky he was with them otherwise they would have lost so much interest in their organisation it would be unbelievable.
    But Barney realised the the other guys produce a better game so instead of stagnating within the BDO, he's moved on to improve his gam (and yes, to make some more money).

Eric Bristow was a absolute legend in his time, him and John Lowe was the reason i got into darts, but alas, Bristow doesn't know what he's on about half the time.

Please, for the 3rd time, produce the stats and i'll shut up, but the BDO isn't as good as the PDC.

Edit- What i've got against the BDO, is people like Martin Adams hyping up their event when they know full well they're not fit to pick the darts out of the PDC players dart boards....
    And the fact that the Lakeside is a piff poor venue
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 13:181 edit
    Originally posted by millerman
    Please, for the 3rd time, produce the stats and i'll shut up, but the BDO isn't as good as the PDC.
    I've been looking for some stats. Haven't found anything concrete yet, but there was the following quote in a BBC article:

"After the initial threat, the organisation [BDO] has gone from strength to strength, breaking all the old records set by Lowe, Bristow and Wilson, offering huge amounts of prize money and, statistically at least, out-performing their rival event, the Skol World Darts Championships."

Will post more if I find it. I suspect if you look at the very top the PDC looks better simply because it has Phil Taylor.
  10. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 13:261 edit
    That be good if you can dig out the stats as i was having problems locating them yesterday...

As for the beeb, it's in the interest of the beeb to say the the BDO is going from strength to strength because it's one of the remaining sports that the beeb has clung onto in it's sporting calender....
  11. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 13:29
    Some more bad news for the BDO

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28910-2541597,00.html
  12. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 13:501 edit
    That would be a shame.

One other thing to check out as well as stats would be viewing figures.
    How many people watch each world championship might give an idea as to which one most people see as the "real" one.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the stats from this years PDC WC and, Taylor and Barney aside, the 3 dart averages don't look too different to what you get at the lakeside. The final looks amazing though - both men getting above 100 and 31 180s.
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 13:54
    OK, all I've found so far is from Wikipedia (so the usual caveats on accuracy), and it's limited. Here's one piece of data that suggests the difference is relatively small, except for the Taylor effect. Wikipedia lists all instances of players scoring more than 100 as a three dart average for a world championship match. Here are the people that have done it, and the number of times they've done it, since the split:

PDC
    Phil Taylor - 28
    Raymond van Barneveld - 2
    Richie Burnett - 1
    Mick McGowan - 1
    Dennis Priestley - 1

BDO
    Raymond van Barneveld - 6
    Martin Adams - 3
    Ted Hankey - 2
    Mervyn King - 1
    Marko Pusa - 1
    John Walton - 1
    Chris Mason - 1
  14. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:04
    Originally posted by Varg
    That would be a shame.

One other thing to check out as well as stats would be viewing figures.
    How many people watch each world championship might give an idea as to which one most people see as the "real" one.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the stats from this years PDC WC and, Taylor and Barney aside, the 3 dart averages don't look too different to what ...[text shortened]... et at the lakeside. The final looks amazing though - both men getting above 100 and 31 180s.
    Viewing figures will be misleading as the BDO is a Beeb event which can be accessed my the whole population in the U.K. Sky only has a few million subscribers (not too sure on their actual subscription).

Post us the link for the Stats as i'm having a hard time finding them, and also, we should wait till the end of the BDO event before comapring 2007 stats against each other....
  15. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:041 edit
    Here are comparative averages from the finals:

BDO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDO_World_Darts_Championship
    PDC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDC_World_Darts_Championship

(Darts players aren't big on stats are they?).

From this it seems like the PDC has the edge although I haven't bothered to analyse the numbers thoroughly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree