1. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:06
    Originally posted by mtthw
    OK, all I've found so far is from Wikipedia (so the usual caveats on accuracy), and it's limited. Here's one piece of data that suggests the difference is relatively small, except for the Taylor effect. Wikipedia lists all instances of players scoring more than 100 as a three dart average for a world championship match. Here are the people that have done it ...[text shortened]... dams - 3
    Ted Hankey - 2
    Mervyn King - 1
    Marko Pusa - 1
    John Walton - 1
    Chris Mason - 1
    I saw this stat on wikipedia as well.

It proves that you can have a really good spell at the ockey. The games i've seen Martin Adams play in, some of his 3 dart average were around 85, which i would have a great chance of beating..
  2. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:08
    Originally posted by millerman
    Viewing figures will be misleading as the BDO is a Beeb event which can be accessed my the whole population in the U.K. Sky only has a few million subscribers (not too sure on their actual subscription).
    Not misleading at all since if the small proportion of the total population which watches darts on the Beeb is much greater than the number who watch it on SKY then a greater number of people will consider the Beeb one "the real thing" regardless of quality.
  3. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by Varg
    Not misleading at all since if the small proportion of the total population which watches darts on the Beeb is much greater than the number who watch it on SKY then a greater number of people will consider the Beeb one "the real thing" regardless of quality.
    Of course it's misleading,

65 million will have access to the Beeb,

15 million (well over estimated) will have access to sky....and then how many of those will subscribe to Sky Sports

You can't say theres not a disparity there................

Edit- And then theres the lack of choice on terrestial t.v which means in times of desperation people will switch over too the beeb when other channels are showing the same olde reality t.v non sense that they usually show this time of the year...
  4. Standard memberVarg
    Thinking...
    Odersfelt
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:22
    Of course it's misleading,

65 million will have access to the Beeb,

15 million (well over estimated) will have access to sky....and then how many of those will subscribe to Sky Sports

You can't say theres not a disparity there................
    Yes, so perhaps more people watch the BBC WC than the SKY one (of course, maybe not) which would make it more prestigious in the eyes of the general public.

Personally speaking, I pay no attention to the snooker tournaments, or rugby ones that are on SKY so for me the terrestrial ones are the more important ones.

Millions more have access to terrestrial TV than SKY.
  5. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:28
    Originally posted by Varg
    Yes, so perhaps more people watch the BBC WC than the SKY one (of course, maybe not) which would make it more prestigious in the eyes of the general public.

Personally speaking, I pay no attention to the snooker tournaments, or rugby ones that are on SKY so for me the terrestrial ones are the more important ones.

Millions more have access to terrestrial TV than SKY.
    True,

But alot of people refuse to watch normal terrestial channels (particually the beeb) because they don't agree with the license fee..

I know alot of people who do this, friends family etc......

They do make arare exception, as you highlighted for the WC, but then it's ITV's coverage that they will watch and not the beebs..

But point taken.....
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:401 edit
    But alot of people refuse to watch normal terrestial channels (particually the beeb) because they don't agree with the license fee..

I know alot of people who do this, friends family etc......

They do make arare exception, as you highlighted for the WC, but then it's ITV's coverage that they will watch and not the beebs..
    Now that's just perverse. A comparison between the BBC and ITV is the best argument for a licence fee I've yet seen!
  7. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 14:41
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Now that's just perverse. A comparison between the BBC and ITV is the best argument for a licence fee I've yet seen!
    But still,

Alot of people feel that strongly about the license fee........
  8. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 15:011 edit
    ...of his 3 dart average were around 85, which i would have a great chance of beating..
    Not on TV. I could throw over 85 average in my bedroom as a teenager but as soon as I joined the university team, although I ususally won, my average wasn't worth knowing.

Adams probably lands nine-dart finishes weekly in practice. It's doing it under pressure that makes the difference between league players and pro players. And I've played county players who beat me by averaging over 100 who if they came up against the likes of Stompe, Taylor et al, especially on TV, would be made to look very amateur indeed.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 15:06
    Ha ha!

Darts is not a sport. It's a game for overweight souses. However, I might consider it a competitive sport if they considered using ninja stars instead of those little javelins, and instead of boards, they threw them at each other.
  10. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 15:38
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Not on TV. I could throw over 85 average in my bedroom as a teenager but as soon as I joined the university team, although I ususally won, my average wasn't worth knowing.

Adams probably lands nine-dart finishes weekly in practice. It's doing it under pressure that makes the difference between league players and pro players. And I've played county pl ...[text shortened]... e likes of Stompe, Taylor et al, especially on TV, would be made to look very amateur indeed.
    Well Dah..

Of course doing it in front of the cameras and crowds makes a difference. But his playing against fellow professionals, which is why he'll never win this second rate comp.....

And county players are of course a step down from these guys, although saying that i've never seen a county player average over 100 in the super league, and i used to follow my mate on this circuit
  11. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jan '07 23:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 15:18
    Martin Adams was ranked and seeded ahead of van Barneveld for most of the BDO championships I remember. Although obviously he never made this count when it mattered, to be ranked higher than somebody who has just made the switch and WON the PDC title is what made me say he'd be a top ten player in the PDC if he made the move. I haven't found any stats, but some have been posted above by another poster.
  13. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 15:19
    But his playing against fellow professionals, which is why he'll never win this second rate comp.....
    I agree, but Dennis Priestley et al will probably never win the PDC title. Still very good players.
  14. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    12 Jan '07 15:20
    Anyway, can you help me, I have some gaps in my knowledge?

Where are they now?

Jocky Wilson
    John Lowe
    Mike Gregory

Thanks

asromac
  15. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 00:20
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Anyway, can you help me, I have some gaps in my knowledge?

Where are they now?

Jocky Wilson
    John Lowe
    Mike Gregory

Thanks

asromac
    Jocky Wilson - Sadly a drunk relying on DSS handouts
    John Lowe - Doing stuff for the PDC
    Gregory - No idea

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree