1. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 15:34
    I feel sure some MLB players (and other sports professionals) are better than others when dealing with the public--I don't keep up with it like I used to, but Ernie Banks and Rick Monday come to mind as fan-friendly when I was young. But the worst I've heard of in recent years came to me first-hand, from a co-worker who attended a Braves game. It concerned pitcher Steve Avery. While with the Braves, a 5-year-old asked for his autograph, to which he replied "Not in your lifetime." I remember thinking "what a jerk--I hope he loses 20."
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    06 Jun '08 16:25
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I feel sure some MLB players (and other sports professionals) are better than others when dealing with the public--I don't keep up with it like I used to, but Ernie Banks and Rick Monday come to mind as fan-friendly when I was young. But the worst I've heard of in recent years came to me first-hand, from a co-worker who attended a Braves game. It concerne ...[text shortened]... he replied "Not in your lifetime." I remember thinking "what a jerk--I hope he loses 20."
    Say it aint so. I guess that avery does not know that the fans make the players when they buy their merchandise and tickets for the game. It is a sad day when I see rust on the armor of some of the heroes. It is intolerable when I see holes in their armor. I hope I never hear that a player from one of my teams atcs like avery is said to have acted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree