1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 03:07
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Regardless of who wins #1, it is clear that USC should get #3. Putting Boise State at #3, however, seems merited.
    egad

that should have been #2 for USC

d^$$ hackers
  2. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 19:01
    Ironically, without the BCS system, Boise State wouldn't even have made the 8 team playoff that everyone's talking about, as they're ranked 9th by AP, USA Today and Harris Interactive.
  3. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 19:52
    Originally posted by Delmer
    Great game! If OSU loses then Boise State should be ranked Number One. They're already Number One in my opinion. And if OSU wins, then Boise State should be ranked Number Two. Won't happen, of course, but it should.
    Not really. Oklahoma wasn't a real powerhouse this year. I still think Boise State did a real bangup job this year. Hopefully they will toughen up their schedule to get more respect from the pollsters.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 20:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 21:49
    It was a great game and Boise beat a good BCS team. It is one of the nice things about the Bowl system is teams can play well and win and feel really good about the way the season ended.
    However, there is no way I fell that they should be playing for a national championship. That should go to the two best teams and even with that win, there is no way I'd put Boise State in the Top 2.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 01:39
    Originally posted by jofaz
    That should go to the two best teams and even with that win, there is no way I'd put Boise State in the Top 2.
    Alas, one of the "best" teams had a weak schedule, and the other performed poorly in their last conference game, so we must settle for a game between two teams with an argument.

The BCS has reduced the arguments regarding the champion after all the bowls are through, but it has not eliminated all reasons to challenge the final tally.

Boise State fans will always be able to say that they deserved a title shot, especially when they end up the only unbeaten team. Perhaps they'll get a shot at Florida next year.
  7. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:20
    Originally posted by slimjim
    Not really. Oklahoma wasn't a real powerhouse this year. I still think Boise State did a real bangup job this year. Hopefully they will toughen up their schedule to get more respect from the pollsters.
    This is the biggest problem with the BCS. There is no way for a team that doesn't play in one of the major conferences to play for a championship. They are committed to play their conference schedule. Even if every team in the conference was to improve, they are still seen as a weak conference so strength of schedule will count against them.

Under the current system there will never be a "Cinderella" National Championship. It is a shame that Boise State can't prove where they belong on the field. It is left to computers and voters rather than players.

The BCS is crap. The bowl system is crap. The only solution is a playoff. They do it in every other level of college football. When you it comes right down to it, greed is the only thing preventing a playoff system for Division I college football.

OU certainly wasn't as strong as in past years. Perhaps they didn't deserve to be in the Fiesta Bowl - a BCS bowl.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:44
    There are no cinderella champions in NCAA basketball either because a team like Boise might go on a run but they won't win multiple games against top 5 teams. Even beatin Oklahaoma isn't the same as beating USC and Ohio State or a Florida and a Louisville.
  9. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:47
    Originally posted by poundlee
    There are no cinderella champions in NCAA basketball either because a team like Boise might go on a run but they won't win multiple games against top 5 teams. Even beatin Oklahaoma isn't the same as beating USC and Ohio State or a Florida and a Louisville.
    I guess you have never heard of NC State under Jim Valvano.
  10. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 02:54
    And isn't that whole point of a playoff? To seperate the real deal from the pretenders to the throan?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:04
    Last time I checked North Carolina State was in the best conference in basketball. I am not sure how their victory somehow supports letting a team from a weak conference and a weak schedule play for a national championship.
  12. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:19
    Last time I checked North Carolina State was in the best conference in basketball. I am not sure how their victory somehow supports letting a team from a weak conference and a weak schedule play for a national championship.
    They may have been from one of the strongest conferences, but they were far from the best team in the conference and were undoubtedly underdogs in the tournament and especially in the finals.

If college basketball used the same formula NC State would have never been within a thousand miles of the championship game.

And an undefeated WAC champion will never play for a championship, no matter how good they are.

Do I think that they could beat OSU or Florida? Nope.

Do I think that they played all there games without losing and deserve at least a shot at the National Championship? Yes, but not in the current system.

The BCS needs to go. Let them settle it on the field. Not in the forums.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:40
    In NCAA basketball the regular season means absolutely nothing, every game could potentially eliminate a team from a championship. I personally enjoy that and, even though i know I am in the minority, would not give it up for the overrated cinderella story.
  14. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 03:48
    In NCAA basketball the regular season means absolutely nothing, every game could potentially eliminate a team from a championship. I personally enjoy that and, even though i know I am in the minority, would not give it up for the overrated cinderella story.
    But that is exactly what creates cindarellas, the fact that it is decided on the court. If a team gets hot at the right time they can often make a nice run of it and eliminate a "sure thing" in the process. That is why I love the NCAA basketball tourney. The Drexels and Princetons of the world get their shot against the Dukes and Kentuckys.

With a football playoff there would not be any Drexels or Princetons, but the Boise States of the world might get a shot.

They probably would only go a round maybe two, but settle it on the field.

It's funny that you say "every game could potentially eliminate a team" and you think that that prevents a cinderella team - that is what creates cinderellas.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 19:04
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    This is the biggest problem with the BCS. There is no way for a team that doesn't play in one of the major conferences to play for a championship. They are committed to play their conference schedule. Even if every team in the conference was to improve, they are still seen as a weak conference so strength of schedule will count against them.

Under the ...[text shortened]... trong as in past years. Perhaps they didn't deserve to be in the Fiesta Bowl - a BCS bowl.
    While OU was weaker than than usual, I don't think you can say that they may not have deserved a Fiesta Bowl appearence. They should have been a one loss team. If it weren't for a infamous reffing miscue, they would probably have a been a top 4 team at the end of the season. Besides, are good are these top teams anyway? If we've learned anything this bowl season, it's that the teams everybody nuthugs (like Michigan and Notre Dame) may not be as good as everyone claims. Boise State deserves a shot.

That said, I'm glad we won't see Boise State vs. Ohio State. I think BSU would get blown out and that would really ruin a sweet memory (though I could definitely be wrong).

Also I am against a playoff. I think all the sensation about who really is the best college football team 1) probably won't really be decided by a playoff and 2) isn't as rewarding as watching some good teams slug it out in a bowl. Actually check out the "Page2" column over at espn.com for a more eloquent argument against a playoff system.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree