1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 14:50
    First blockbuster trade of the off-season has been finalized.

Florida sends Miguel Cabrera AND Dontrelle Willis both to the Detroit Tigers for four prospects, including Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller (neither of whom impressed me much in their rookie year).

Typical Marlins move. Dump your only stars for marginal talent with small contracts. No surprise there.

The Tigers? Damn, they look strong now! And their payroll will be somewhere in the $120 mil mark.

No doubt, people will question the abilities of Willis (Overrated) and Cabrera (Fat and Unmotivated) but I think they will excel on a big team like Detroit that has a lot of leadership. They are clearly the front-runners for the AL Central next season.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 14:59
    Potential Tigers Line-up:

Granderson CF
    Polanco 2B
    Ordonez RF
    Cabrera 3B
    Sheffield DH
    Guillen SS
    Rodriguex C
    Thames LF
    Casey 1B

Verlander SP
    Rogers SP
    Robertson SP
    Willis SP
    Bonderman SP

Zumaya RP
    Rodney RP
    Jones RP
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 15:311 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay

Florida sends Miguel Cabrera AND Dontrelle Willis both to the Detroit Tigers for four prospects, including Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller (neither of whom impressed me much in their rookie year).

Typical Marlins move. Dump your only stars for marginal talent with small contracts. No surp ...[text shortened]... hat has a lot of leadership. They are clearly the front-runners for the AL Central next season.
    PFFT!!! The average crack whore has a better physique than Willis while Cabrera has gained more weight in the last three years than a baby sperm whale. Any "star" player that Steinbrenner Junior isn't willing to throw at least $50 million at must be worthless.

Unless the cheating Tigers can get another load of the Flubber that they gave to Kenny Rogers a couple of years ago (the only possible explanation for him throwing 60 shutout innings or whatever in the post-season), I project Willis -using sabermetric formulas - as 4-14 with a 6.82 ERA and 47 HR's allowed (this is the AMERICAN LEAGUE, little man). Using the same formulas, Cabrera will hit .202 with 14 HR's and 59 RBI's and make 63 errors before he is sent to a fat farm for counselling.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 15:34
    Tigers are getting a lot of run on the radio... Seems there having a nice off-season.

P-
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 15:37
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Tigers are getting a lot of run on the radio... Seems there having a nice off-season.

P-
    Why are you listening to the idiots on talk radio when I have already pronounced that the Tigers stink?
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 15:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why are you listening to the idiots on talk radio when I have already pronounced that the Tigers stink?
    LOL.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 15:50
    You never know how good the talent that you give up will be, but Cabrera is great and will benefit from being in a much more talented lineup and I think Willis will regain his form. I think the Tigers really helped themselves.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 16:26
    Thou hath shamed me!

😞

P-
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 16:48
    Those are great acquisitions for the Tigers.

Detroit should be much tougher next year.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:43
    The Tigers are on the decline and will be back in the 50 win per year column within 5 years if present trends continue. It would be probably best to merge them with some other pathetic crew like the Kansas City Royals; between them they might have a shot at winning something close to half their games. But bringing in overrated dregs from the lousy Marlins is an act of desperation; at first I laughed, but now I shed a tear :'( for their deluded, mental misfit fans.
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 18:52
    The Tigers are on the decline and will be back in the 50 win per year column within 5 years if present trends continue. It would be probably best to merge them with some other pathetic crew like the Kansas City Royals; between them they might have a shot at winning something close to half their games. But bringing in overrated dregs from the lousy Marlin ...[text shortened]... speration; at first I laughed, but now I shed a tear :'( for their deluded, mental misfit fans.
    Here's a similar trade the Marlins performed with the Red Sox a couple years ago:

Thanksgiving Day, 2005, Josh Beckett was traded to the Red Sox along with third baseman Mike Lowell and relief pitcher Guillermo Mota for minor league prospects shortstop Hanley Ramírez and pitchers Aníbal Sánchez, Jesús Delgado and Harvey García.

How did this trade work out for the Sox, hmm?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 19:19
    The Tigers are on the decline and will be back in the 50 win per year column within 5 years if present trends continue. It would be probably best to merge them with some other pathetic crew like the Kansas City Royals; between them they might have a shot at winning something close to half their games. But bringing in overrated dregs from the lousy Marlin ...[text shortened]... speration; at first I laughed, but now I shed a tear :'( for their deluded, mental misfit fans.
    I though that you were 100% ignoranant on college football, but I must admit I did not know what complete lack of knowledge until I read your Tiger comment. It is difficult to find someone other than a complete dope like yourself who does not think Cabrera will augment an already talented lineup. Perhaps Willis will not regain his form but I'd certainly love for my team to add a guy like that. The Tigers started becoming a good team when they spent money and brought in good players. Ordonez off experimental knee surgery and Pudge Rodriguez who was getting old for catcher were far bigger risks. The Tigers will be good for the next few years. They will be able to sign more free agents and they will have more prospoects just like the Red Sox have although they traded Hanely Ramirez and the Yankees do after years of trading theirs.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 22:02
    Originally posted by darvlay

Typical Marlins move. Dump your only stars for marginal talent with small contracts. No surp ...[text shortened]... hat has a lot of leadership. They are clearly the front-runners for the AL Central next season.
    I agree with you on face value, but two things you should consider. First, I believe that barring injury, Andrew Miller will be a better pitcher than Dontrelle Willis (although not right now). Cameron Maybin is also very highly thought of, although untested in the show.

The second thing is that Florida proposed the trade to Detroit EXACTLY as it went down. All Detroit had to do was say yes. Detroit feels they can win now and were willing to mortgage a bit of their future for present time help. Florida wasn't going to win it if they kept both Willis and Cabrera, and they save a considerable amount of bankroll in the process. Furthermore, as they sink lower in the standings, they gain better draft position.

I think the deal made sense for both sides.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 22:04
    You truly are a multi-sport moron.
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '07 23:06
    everybody keeps talking about Detroit; wth did Florida get? It seems to me like they got robbed. I mean why on earth would you ever even consider trading Cabrera, 24 years old and a future hall of famer, for farm players. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone with more baseball knowledge can explain this to me because I don't get it. It doesn't make any sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree