1. England
    Joined
    07 Mar '07
    Moves
    11515
    18 Apr '08 23:38
    This fight could be a classic. Two truly great boxers. Tough to call but Calzaghe on points for me (I hope).
  2. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    50620
    19 Apr '08 08:08
    Calzaghe is an excellent boxer. Its true he has fought quite a few nobodys but that seems to be Frank Warrens way. He done the same with Hamed, Eubank and Hatton.

    But Calzaghe has fought some very good fighters of late and the lesson he gave Lacy is one of the greatest performances I have seen in a Boxing ring.

    Calzaghe - Points or late stoppage (I hope his hands hold out)
  3. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Joined
    28 May '06
    Moves
    94734
    19 Apr '08 10:55
    Hopkins in 9th round knock out.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Joined
    11 Mar '06
    Moves
    71817
    19 Apr '08 13:52
    I want to root for Joe C., but when his fans boo the US National Anthem and flip off the flag it turns my stomach. Foul mouth spoiled Brits.
  5. Santiago
    Joined
    06 Aug '04
    Moves
    233535
    19 Apr '08 16:11
    Is this You Tube?
  6. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    50620
    20 Apr '08 09:41
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I want to root for Joe C., but when his fans boo the US National Anthem and flip off the flag it turns my stomach. Foul mouth spoiled Brits.
    Why are Brits spoiled?

    Arrogant yanks
  7. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    20 Apr '08 11:18
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    Why are Brits spoiled?

    Arrogant yanks
    well said
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    20 Apr '08 14:34
    Not the great fight I was hoping for; a lot of holding by Hopkins and Calzaghe landed quite a few low blows and doesn't seem to have a knockout punch. The judge who scored it for Hopkins was nuts and/or incompetent; Calzaghe was an effective aggressor and landed many more punches to far more than offset the Hopkins 1st round knockdown.
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    64012
    20 Apr '08 18:33
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I want to root for Joe C., but when his fans boo the US National Anthem and flip off the flag it turns my stomach. Foul mouth spoiled Brits.
    I think you'll find that was Hatton's Ingerland mob.

    The Welsh were perfectly well behaved in Vegas. It's just a pity that Tom Jones couldn't remember the words to the anthem!
  10. England
    Joined
    07 Mar '07
    Moves
    11515
    20 Apr '08 20:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Not the great fight I was hoping for; a lot of holding by Hopkins and Calzaghe landed quite a few low blows and doesn't seem to have a knockout punch. The judge who scored it for Hopkins was nuts and/or incompetent; Calzaghe was an effective aggressor and landed many more punches to far more than offset the Hopkins 1st round knockdown.
    Agreed, another fight that couldn't live up to the hype.

    Spot on about the judge that scored it for Hopkins, I can only assume he got confused about where he was meant to put the scores and got them the wrong way round.

    I don't think winning will greatly further Calzaghe's reputation, after all he was fighting a man in his forties and let's be honest, passed his prime. You could perhaps say the same about him going on to fight Roy Jones Jnr.
    Still, a win's a win and for me Calzaghe is deservedly been hailed as the best ever British boxer. Well done Joe.
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Joined
    11 Mar '06
    Moves
    71817
    22 Apr '08 00:39
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    Why are Brits spoiled?

    Arrogant yanks
    When Hatton faught, the Brits booed the US National Anthem and gave the bird to the flag. Poor form at least.
  12. lazy boy derivative
    Joined
    11 Mar '06
    Moves
    71817
    22 Apr '08 00:40
    Originally posted by Caba
    Agreed, another fight that couldn't live up to the hype.

    Spot on about the judge that scored it for Hopkins, I can only assume he got confused about where he was meant to put the scores and got them the wrong way round.

    I don't think winning will greatly further Calzaghe's reputation, after all he was fighting a man in his forties and let's be honest, pas ...[text shortened]... nd for me Calzaghe is deservedly been hailed as the best ever British boxer. Well done Joe.
    If I were Roy Jones or any other Light Heavyweight, I'd be the first in line to fight Joe C. Joe has very little power at that weight.
  13. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    50620
    22 Apr '08 08:36
    Originally posted by badmoon
    When Hatton faught, the Brits booed the US National Anthem and gave the bird to the flag. Poor form at least.
    I agree the English do tend to boo other national anthems but we take our sport seriously and we become tribal, just look at some of the problems we have had at football games in the past.

    I agree it is a bit disrespectful but in another way I kinda like it, after all it isn't a knitting contest!
Back to Top