1. Wat?
    Moves
    02 Feb '13 13:56
    YouTube

This man is running at that pace for over 26 miles.

Look at the cyclists in the background!

It's a 26 mile sprint.

800m runners at world record level run at under 18 miles per hour!

13 miles per hour for 26 miles??

Astounding!

Hats off to top marathon runners.

-m.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 07:03
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Yk1xeSLRk

It's a 26 mile sprint.

Astounding!

-m.
    I agree, a 4 min mile is 15 miles an hour, so 13 MPH is very impressive for a marathon.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 12:38

It's a 26 mile sprint.

Astounding!

-m.
    Incredible athleticism needed to run a world class marathon! I used to run and at most ran 5:15 miles and at most for nine miles. I never was able to train myself into even a half marathon. These are gifted athletes with incredible stamina, endurance and strength!
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 01:14
    "Can you run at a pace of 13 miles per hour?"

Yes, but not for very long.
  5. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 20:433 edits
    actually yes.....but not for a marathon. 800 meter runners, they run anywhere from 1:41 and change, which is the record, and Emmon Conglin from Ireland has the record before steroids at the mellrose games in the garden in New York.....that record stands today after 30 years. Longest standing record in running history. By the way figure the speed for this. For someone to run 1:41 for 800 meters, two laps? That is a 50 second quarter, and a 51 second quarter. Back to back, no break, just ball out for two laps. I ran a 48.4 quarter. That is one lap. These guys run basically what i ran for one lap as fast as i could, they do it for two!! that is the 800 meters. i was 15 years old when i did this though... Anyway, think about this. to run a 5 minute mile, which most people will go through their lives never having been able to do that. that comes to 75 second quarters. a 6 minute mile is 10 miles an hour. so 13 miles an hour is fantastic, but the best runners in the world, run faster than that for a marathon. i have not done the math but i ran the mile or 1600 meters in 4:25, but life took a turn. Many guys i beat that year went on to run about 4:15 for the 1600 meters. and went on to the olympics. that comes to 64 second quarters for 4 laps. Marathon runners take the first mile out sometimes in 4:19, 4:25, or 4:30? it all depends. its not their speed that is impressive. most great runners can easily run these times for a mile, or a half mile or 400 meters. what makes them special, is the time they run for each mile for 26.2 miles. they are running under 4 minutes and 30 seconds per mile. their oxygen transport from lungs to heart, heart to lungs, and out to the body and back? is a freak of nature. And this post i thought was a great tribute to runners and what they can do. Great job on bringing it up and letting people know that there are real amazing things going on other than games.....these are just amazing human feats....great job...By the way, the girl you see as my avatar is not me...lol lol I saw a movie called The last legion. Her name in the movie was called Mira. I think she was MS. India. Google this woman and the movie. I have always loved black hair, and brown eyes. But this woman has that, but these strange arctic blue eyes that just pierce right though you...there are scenes in this movie, where she just looks into the camera, and she is just breath taking. I mean you cant even take your eyes off the screen. It's been a while since i have seen anything like this. Guys trust me. Take a look in google....it's worth the two minutes believe me...🙂 again great post my friend....it's great to see runners or fans of runner in here. That was my best sport until i was forced to leave due to health....
  6. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 04:211 edit
    i have not done the math yet as i am or use to be a runner. but if you are correct in 800 meters under 18 mph , there is still a night and day difference in speed. look at it this way. the marathon runners run on average actually they run slower than 13 mph.....break it up into half marathons and they still run over two hours....but look at it by quarter or 400 meters. have you ever seen the 400m runners? i races against some of the best 400m runners in the world. even though that was not my event. but in 800 meters they are running 50 second quarters. back to back. of course the first lap is usually run in about 48 seconds....a 4:30 mile which i ran easily, if you break it by quarter is about 67.5 seconds per quarter. your talking almost 20 seconds per lap difference, if you make what they run in the 800m pace into a mile, that would be the same as running a 3:22 mile. a huge difference in speed from that to a average of 4:30 pace and that is they are on world record pace. the speed is night and day in difference. there are many miles during the race where they are at near 5 minutes....or 4:50 per mile....i am certainly not arguing with you at all. your point is well taken and right on the money. the speed they run at for 26.2 miles is just short of a miracle. That is pure genetics. most people look and watch but have no idea what it feels like or how hard it is to run a 6 minute mile which is nothing. the speed they run for that long is just beautiful to watch as a former runner myself. im glad you brought it up. if it seems like i was arguing your point that is certainly not what i was doing. i was just trying to give a little more perspective on the different events and how fast these guys really run....and as a side note, Bolt pissed me off. if in that olympics, the first, if he had not eased up at the end, i still believe to this day he would have been the first man in human history to break 9 seconds. and that record in my opinion, would not be broken for another 50 years if he had done it....to do that, everything about it has to be perfect. starting with coming out of the blocks. in his last olympics, during practice he was having trouble coming out of the blocks. they gave up practicing it. he got frustrated. he gave his trainers trouble. so they said come out of the blocks, keep your head down for the first ten meters, which is standard for any sprinter, then just make up the distance. that is exactly what he did. because he was really far behind until about 50 meters. he will never have that shot again. his first olympics was his best shot at doing it. he is still the best, and did something that wont be broken for god only knows how many years to come. but my god what a wonderful thing it would have been if he had not slowed up!!!!
  7. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 04:43
    My hat goes of to you to be able to run what you did....you obviously were a very good runner yourself. And the only reason you did not run a half marathon in the time you mentioned is because you most likely did not have the right coach. forgive me if you really liked your coach. But many coaches who are head coaches for track and field are only really qualified for a few events. as for x country running/racing, if you ran as fast as you said, i have no doubt in my mind half marathon would have been a walk in the park for you. it certainly would have been if i were your coach. congrats on what you achieved. most people i don't think will know or understand just how good your time was.....i never had any intentions of racing a half marathon and never even gave it a thought to run a marathon. i was a 1600/miler.....i ran the 200m, 400m, and 800m to help with the mile. however like i said my health took a dive. but thats life...it was not meant to be....but you should be really proud of what you ran....the longest run in training i ever did was 12 miles...i never saw the need, or had to run far. once in a blue moon a 70 mile week. i was able to get by on 50 miles a week....i loved racing the 5k even though i just used it for distance training and strength....i ran 14:12 but it was on a flat course. i have no idea just what i woud have run if i had continued past 16 years old and actually peaked later after college. the time you mentioned you ran? if you ran that for a 15k (9.3 miles), you easily could have run a half marathon in under 5 minutes a mile....i know this for sure...
  8. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 18:52

It's a 26 mile sprint.

Astounding!

-m.
    I've supported friends at marathons, and would always make sure to be at the first mile marker to watch the Elite Group go by. I marveled at their speed, and their ability.

Best I could ever do was about 5:10 for three, maybe four miles. My best PFT was 15:35 over three miles. When I was into distance running, I would usually try and work the kinks out with a 7:30 first mile, and then cruise for the next eight or nine at about 6:15 - 6:30, depending on the terrain.

The summer I got out, I lived at the Jersey shore. The six months before I got out of the Marine Corps and the four, five months after I got out was the fittest year of my life. I ran in the morning, lifted weights at lunch, and ran again or swam at the end of the day. After spending two weeks getting annihilated at bars every night, I picked up where I left off, and started running on the beach, five miles twice a day, pushups, pullups, situps. I was dating a girl, and the day of the the Ten-Mile Island Run in Sea Isle City, NJ - about two hours before the race - she told me she thought I should run it. Being very much in lust, very much wanting to impress her, and still made of rubber, I registered and ran it in 1:07:22, and I left alot in the tank that day. I think I could have done it in 62 minutes, but I remembered what my Drill Instructor said about me (in the presence of the entire company) immediately before we started our final PFT: "[Sasquatch] is like an orgasm. He goes out fast and rolls over and goes to sleep."

I used to love distance running. It just felt like my time, it belonged only to me. My only concern was matching my footfalls to my cadence. But to do what these guys do, as fast as they do it for as long as they do it, is absolutely incredible.
  9. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 00:39
    that was a great story...lol by the way? if you had actually, stopped the situps, pushups, and the drinking (LOL), AMAZING BY THE WAY, you would have had no problem running under 1 hour. under 6 minutes a mile. Did you ever race at Holmdel Park? south jersey? that is where they run the sectionals, states, and meet of champions for highschool...the entire course is designed to destroy you. the whole first mile is mostly up hill, then rollers...if you had run that race, i would have told you to forget your tank, hit that first mile in 5:45 at the slowest. Your body recovers, and you actually pick up speed without even knowing it. You sound like running could have been a sport you could have gone on scholorship to certain Universities....You served your country...let me thank you for the service you have provided for me and everyone in this country that allow the rest of us to be safe and go about our business.....Im impressed with your running and your character....by the way the quote from your instructor was fantastic! lol lol below is Usain Bolt having trouble with the starting blocks. it was a point i was trying to make but i think i made it poorly. but the link below shows, if this guy just trained harder, the amazing things he could have done. and i mean better than the amazing things he has already done....

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/Usain-Bolt-disqualified-from-world-100m-final

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree