Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Feb '10 01:59
    Canada is up to 13 Gold Medals now, which I believe is a winter games record!!!
  2. 28 Feb '10 03:18
    norway i think it was also had 13 golds... in 2002 i think... *goggles it*

    yup... 2002

    no doubt canada will take over them though... hard to believe you guys had hosted two previous olympic games with zero golds.
  3. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Feb '10 16:07
    Originally posted by trev33
    norway i think it was also had 13 golds... in 2002 i think... *goggles it*

    yup... 2002

    no doubt canada will take over them though... hard to believe you guys had hosted two previous olympic games with zero golds.
    We, haven't been fortunate when it comes to gold medals.

    I believe 13 is a record for a (HOST) Country!

    2002 was in the States!
  4. 28 Feb '10 16:21
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    We, haven't been fortunate when it comes to gold medals.

    I believe 13 is a record for a (HOST) Country!

    2002 was in the States!
    Indeed Canada, for a nation of 35 million, has great athletes relative to its population. It would be 14 had the women's curling team not choked. Cheryl Bernard, best in the world at her craft made one small uncharacteristic mistake. let's hope the medal count ends at 13! Allez, USA!!!!!!
  5. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Feb '10 16:49 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Indeed Canada, for a nation of 35 million, has great athletes relative to its population. It would be 14 had the women's curling team not choked. Cheryl Bernard, best in the world at her craft made one small uncharacteristic mistake. let's hope the medal count ends at 13! Allez, USA!!!!!!
    Choking and winning a Silver will probably be easy to live with. Where did the U.S. Women finish in curling, or do they have a team?

    Yes, The underdog Canadians have to take on the Big Bad Americans now!

    I thought we were 33 million, when we get the other 2?
  6. 28 Feb '10 16:58
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Yes, The underdog Canadians have to take on the Big Bad Americans now!

    I thought we were 33 million, when we get the other 2?
    They said 35M on TV the other night. INdeed wrong according to CIA World Factbook: 33,487,208 (July 2009 est.). But hey, makes accomplishments even more impressive!

    You insist on USA not being the underdog, don't you? Give it up. USA is the clear underdog!Vegas oddsmakers have Canada as favorites with a -260 line. Some underdogs you guys are! Winning as underdogs would make a win so much sweeter for USA. Never forget USA has never lost a gold medal game in even numbered years starting a decade, 1960, 1980 and now 2010! Go USA!!!
  7. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Feb '10 17:01
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    They said 35M on TV the other night. INdeed wrong according to CIA World Factbook: 33,487,208 (July 2009 est.). But hey, makes accomplishments even more impressive!

    You insist on USA not being the underdog, don't you? Give it up. USA is the clear underdog!Vegas oddsmakers have Canada as favorites with a -260 line. Some underdogs you guys are! Winning ...[text shortened]... a gold medal game in even numbered years starting a decade, 1960, 1980 and now 2010! Go USA!!!
    They are not the underdogs anymore being they already beat Canada.

    Now Canada are the underdogs. Can't you figure out how that works? Pretending to be an underdog doesn't make you an underdog, or your accomplisment impressive in the least.

    Who said 35M same people that said U.S. Hockey team were the underdogs?
  8. 28 Feb '10 17:10
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    They are not the underdogs anymore being they already beat Canada.

    Now Canada are the underdogs. Can't you figure out how that works? Pretending to be an underdog doesn't make you an underdog, or your accomplisment impressive in the least.

    Who said 35M same people that said U.S. Hockey team were the underdogs?
    Vegas oddsmakers do not offer population counts. This is a funny argument. Have you ever argued before with anyone over who's the underdog? At any rate whomever gave the population count was over only by 1.6M. That's not too bad!
    Canada is going to come out like gangbusters to try and get that first goal. So far of the medal contending countries only those not scoring that first goal have lost, including Canada.

    BTW congrats on that curling men's medal. They stifled a great Norway team. Not a blowout, but score does not reflect the true domination. Canadian curler women much cuter, though! Cheryl Bernard is a real looker for an older woman. Elegance and grace. I taped the men's curling gold medal match so I could watch after returnig from the opera!
  9. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    28 Feb '10 17:20 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Vegas oddsmakers do not offer population counts. This is a funny argument. Have you ever argued before with anyone over who's the underdog? At any rate whomever gave the population count was over only by 1.6M. That's not too bad!
    Canada is going to come out like gangbusters to try and get that first goal. So far of the medal contending countries only t . I taped the men's curling gold medal match so I could watch after returnig from the opera!
    I don't know much about the Vegas oddsmakers and how they do things.(Don't know what you are even talking about there) I do know in hockey if you beat a team in a tournament, when you got play them again, you are certainly not considered the underdog...I don't know what part of that you fail to understand...How many times would U.S. have to beat Canada before you didn't consider the U.S. an underdog...>ROLFMAO<.....Funny Stuff!!!

    I think 1.6M is big time WRONG! How would you like too see that amount missing from your bank account.

    You don't get any extra in curling or hockey for that matter rater you win 8-0 or 8-7...I think the (MEN) Canucks did great to go UNBEATEN in the tournament, That my friend is TRUE DOMINATION!!!
  10. 28 Feb '10 17:45
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I don't know much about the Vegas oddsmakers and how they do things.(Don't know what you are even talking about there) I do know in hockey if you beat a team in a tournament, when you got play them again, you are certainly not considered the underdog...I don't know what part of that you fail to understand...How many times would U.S. have to beat Canada be ...[text shortened]... Canucks did great to go UNBEATEN in the tournament, That my friend is TRUE DOMINATION!!!
    Vegas sets the odds based on a complex formula basically to even out the betting. However, that said, they are true experts on determining who's favorite. In the end, of course, game has to be played. Therefore, outcomes are determined on the field/ice/court, etc. Teams do beat the odds as New Orleans showed, but they were not prohibitive underdogs the way Vegas has set up team USA. We'll see. Also, don't forget that beating a team twice in a row is harder than beating them the first time. That's true for any sport! Luongo may be the great difference as I think Brodeur posed favorable matchup problems for USA. Luongo seems more confident at goal.

    If I had 35M in my bank account I might not feel too badly about missing 1.6M. It is not that far off. For all we know you might have 1.6 illegal Ukranian immigrants in Calgary alone!

    Indeed Canda's history making unbeaten curling tournament is one record which may never be equaled, unless of course Kevin Martin stays and repeats in Russia! Boy you could see the eye of the tiger in the dude!
  11. 28 Feb '10 18:12
    GO CANADA!!
  12. 28 Feb '10 18:44
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I don't know much about the Vegas oddsmakers and how they do things.(Don't know what you are even talking about there) I do know in hockey if you beat a team in a tournament, when you got play them again, you are certainly not considered the underdog...I don't know what part of that you fail to understand...How many times would U.S. have to beat Canada be ...[text shortened]... Canucks did great to go UNBEATEN in the tournament, That my friend is TRUE DOMINATION!!!
    ssoooo because aston villa had beaten man utd once this season already (and drew another) they were favorites today?

    i think canada are 4/5 with the bookies here... which makes them slight favorites. as they should be, out for revenge, home advantage and an all round player for player better team than the us, saying that i wouldn't be shocked if the us beat them again. they seem to play better as a team than canada...

    btw re choking and getting a silver... i'd rather win a bronze than lose a gold and pick up silver... especially when you had the chance of winning the gold. she'll be gutted for ever, trust me. a silver will be no consolation... silver medals get chucked in a drawer never to be seen again. no one wants silver.
  13. 01 Mar '10 10:47
    How did the Jamaican Bobsled team get on this year?
  14. 01 Mar '10 12:03
    Congrats to the Canadians, its just a shame they had to cheat to win.

    Its like my pappy always used to tell me, "The only time I lose is when my opponent cheats".
  15. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    01 Mar '10 15:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Congrats to the Canadians, its just a shame they had to cheat to win.

    Its like my pappy always used to tell me, "The only time I lose is when my opponent cheats".
    If anyone was cheating it was the Americans coming in pretending to be The Underdogs they knew they weren't.

    You really sound like a Poor American Sore Loser. At least lose with some dignity.