1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Joined
    10 Sep '05
    Moves
    10228
    06 May '08 19:38
    canada has won 45, usa 2 of their world championship games against each other. can the second best hockey country of north america make an upset and win today? the stats do not look good. 🙂




    go canada go!
  2. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Joined
    20 Aug '05
    Moves
    17145
    06 May '08 20:01
    I'm afraid America will never excel in international sports, other than baseball. American athletes are more about money these days, rather than love of the game, like it should be.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Joined
    10 Sep '05
    Moves
    10228
    06 May '08 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    I'm afraid America will never excel in international sports, other than baseball. American athletes are more about money these days, rather than love of the game, like it should be.
    and as long as they're content in being the second best (well we could also say the last) country in north america, instead of the best in the world, not much can change.

    it's also funny how americans always call the champions of their small regional sports 'world champions', when in reality they're not even national champions (various fighting sports are the worst in this regard).



    3-0 for canada 18s into the 2nd period!
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    21 Jul '04
    Moves
    30690
    06 May '08 20:39
    The United States is the home of the best highest level baseball, football, basketball and hockey (our four major sports). The championship in these sports is regarded as far superior to winning a gold metal or world tournament. As a result, our Olympic basketball team (1) does not train together, (2) is composed of players who don't want/ need a rest (including healing/ surgery time) from what they consider their real responsibility the NBA.
    In a lot of ways the US attitude is superior. We have players from all over the world participate in our sports and we don't have a need to provide self worth by trying to win international competitions.
  5. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Joined
    20 Aug '05
    Moves
    17145
    06 May '08 20:45
    Originally posted by leepound
    The United States is the home of the best highest level baseball, football, basketball and hockey (our four major sports). The championship in these sports is regarded as far superior to winning a gold metal or world tournament. As a result, our Olympic basketball team (1) does not train together, (2) is composed of players who don't want/ need a rest (i ...[text shortened]... ts and we don't have a need to provide self worth by trying to win international competitions.
    This is why we get our asses kicked in the Olympics.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Joined
    10 Sep '05
    Moves
    10228
    06 May '08 20:53
    Originally posted by leepound
    The United States is the home of the best highest level baseball, football, basketball and hockey (our four major sports). The championship in these sports is regarded as far superior to winning a gold metal or world tournament. As a result, our Olympic basketball team (1) does not train together, (2) is composed of players who don't want/ need a rest (i ...[text shortened]... ts and we don't have a need to provide self worth by trying to win international competitions.
    first of all, usa is crap at football.

    'american football' and baseball are not played anywhere else but usa & japan. that's like like being the world's leading country in whale flubber eating.

    and basketball, that's not played that much outside usa either, although it's by far the most popular of your four national favourites.

    and in hockey, you suck the worst. it's no coincidence you have +2 -45 score against canada on world championship level.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Joined
    10 Sep '05
    Moves
    10228
    06 May '08 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    This is why we get our asses kicked in the Olympics.
    well you did win 1960. that's only 48 years ago. 🙂



    3-2 after 2nd period btw, and usa is actually playing quite well.
  8. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Joined
    13 Apr '04
    Moves
    86345
    06 May '08 21:36
    Originally posted by leepound
    ...we don't have a need to provide self worth by trying to win international competitions.
    Competitors who don't care to compete?
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    6163
    06 May '08 21:41
    Originally posted by wormwood
    first of all, usa is crap at football.

    'american football' and baseball are not played anywhere else but usa & japan. that's like like being the world's leading country in whale flubber eating.

    and basketball, that's not played that much outside usa either, although it's by far the most popular of your four national favourites.

    and in hockey, you s ...[text shortened]... st. it's no coincidence you have +2 -45 score against canada on world championship level.
    Man you got it all wrong.

    Football: The USA isn't the best but we have been competitive in international play for the last decade.

    Baseball: South America and some countries in the Caribbean play a lot of baseball, some of the MLB's best players come from south of the border.

    Basketball: Almost every country has a league of some capacity that is competitive in its own right. Europe is actually pretty big on the sport. They have two annual competitions like in Football where both the national teams and clubs compete for titles. Also, some of the best basketball players in the NBA aren't American. If you have a short memory, let me remind you that Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki won the last 3 MVP awards in the NBA.

    Ice Hockey: Hey, we aren't the best at it, but we get an Olympic medal every now and then. I mean I would be very disappointed if Canada didn't dominate International Hockey like the USA does basketball and Brazil does football. Hockey is your national sport and you have like 5 TV stations that cover it. Here in the US we have one station, Versus, which sucks. I missed basically all of the Aves/Wild series, it was horrible.

    NFL: Americans don't care that the rest of the world doesn't play it. After 19 weeks of wear and tear, an international competition is the last thing the NFL wants.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Joined
    10 Sep '05
    Moves
    10228
    06 May '08 21:59
    5-4 canada won. that makes it 46 wins for canada, and 2 for usa.



    thank you for playing, better luck next time. 🙂


    (to be fair, usa played very well the first 2 periods. it could've gone either way, and it wasn't for lack of trying that they lost. great game.)
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    174290
    06 May '08 22:07
    At least we still have track and field.

    And swimming.

    😞
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Joined
    10 Sep '05
    Moves
    10228
    06 May '08 22:08
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    NFL: Americans don't care that the rest of the world doesn't play it. After 19 weeks of wear and tear, an international competition is the last thing the NFL wants.
    the best god damn whale flubber eaters in the world, and fiercely proud of it!
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    06 May '08 22:09
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    I'm afraid America will never excel in international sports, other than baseball. American athletes are more about money these days, rather than love of the game, like it should be.
    You guys did not even excel in International Baseball. In fact, you choked horribly in the WBC.
  14. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Joined
    20 Aug '05
    Moves
    17145
    07 May '08 03:01
    Originally posted by darvlay
    You guys did not even excel in International Baseball. In fact, you choked horribly in the WBC.
    I wasn't saying we owned everyone. I was saying that we're perennial powers in baseball, much like Canadians are in hockey.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    07 May '08 04:59
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    At least we still have track and field.

    And swimming.

    😞
    Uh, pretty sure most of your athletes have been banned for using steroids in Track/field.

    FAIL!
Back to Top