1. LA
    Moves
    23 May '07 06:27
    I love English football but there are too many games where one team just defends and tries to hang on for a draw.

I believe a small change to the way points are awarded to teams would make football much more entertaining to watch.

How about this:-
    Draw = 1 point
    Home Victory = 2 points
    Away Victory = 3 points

It would encourage attacking play from away teams and potentially stop teams playing for draws as much as they currently do in the English Premiership.

Can anyone see a reason not to do this?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 May '07 07:281 edit
    I see no reason not to do it. Very good proposal, mate!

Edit. What about one more point when the victory is for more than (2 or 3) goals of difference?
  3. LA
    Moves
    23 May '07 08:03
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I see no reason [b]not to do it. Very good proposal, mate!

Edit. What about one more point when the victory is for more than (2 or 3) goals of difference?[/b]
    Adding an extra point for a 3 goal difference would also be a great idea.

It would encourage great attacking sides like Barcelona, Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Arsenal to make extra effort to make the game entertaining.

Lets face it, football should really be about entertainment.
    In England many teams are too scared to lose and play for the draw (like Liverpool and their history of penalty kick victories).

It may even encourage teams like Chelsea to play more attractive football if the extra point was possible.
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:54
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue

Lets face it, football should really be about entertainment.
    Whilst I'm inclined to agree, this is a very dangerous route to go down. Look what happened to Wrestling.

Would you have the goals made bigger to help the goal count?

Re: the proposal in your first post, it's often discussed and frequently proposed slightly differently:

0 pt loss
    1 pt home draw
    2 pt away draw
    3 pt win

this makes the away team happy to take the draw, but forces the home team to go for the win, leading to a more open game.
  5. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 May '07 10:05
    Defending is as much of an art as attacking. It ain't broke so why are we trying to fix it?

Should we award 2 goals for goals outside the area? A spot kick after each goal for additional goals? More points for drawing at Old Trafford? Finally, where's the logic in awarding (say) Chelsea 2 points for a draw with (say) Fulham (who get 1 point) at Craven cottage?

Careful lads. this is how American sports came about.
  6. LA
    Moves
    24 May '07 04:19
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Defending is as much of an art as attacking. It ain't broke so why are we trying to fix it?

Should we award 2 goals for goals outside the area? A spot kick after each goal for additional goals? More points for drawing at Old Trafford? Finally, where's the logic in awarding (say) Chelsea 2 points for a draw with (say) Fulham (who get 1 point) at Craven cottage?

Careful lads. this is how American sports came about.
    It is a little broken, you can't see it because Liverpool are part of the problem.
    Liverpool play for bore draws and penalty kicks.

The games rules have hardly changed in over 100 years.

Making a win 3 points instead of 2 did make the game more interesting.

I think simply giving the away team the incentive of an extra point for an away win would make a difference to the teams that truely believe they can win a game.

It would also make teams that are just behind the top 4 or even the relegation battles more unpredictable because teams would take risks for the extra point.
  7. Berks.
    Moves
    24 May '07 06:24
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I see no reason [b]not to do it. Very good proposal, mate!

Edit. What about one more point when the victory is for more than (2 or 3) goals of difference?[/b]
    That it has been tried before, and abandoned quite quickly.
  8. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 May '07 08:33
    It is a little broken, you can't see it because Liverpool are part of the problem.
    Liverpool play for bore draws and penalty kicks.
    Last time I checked Premiership matches weren't resolved by penalty kicks. Muppet
  9. LA
    Moves
    24 May '07 08:45
    Last time I checked Premiership matches weren't resolved by penalty kicks. Muppet
    The league title would be settled by penalty kicks if every team played like Liverpool.
    Each game would end up 0-0.
    Same points.
    Same goal difference.
    Penalty kicks at the end of the season.

You always leave a slight flaw in your posts, muppet.
  10. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 May '07 08:51
    The league title would be settled by penalty kicks if every team played like Liverpool.
    Each game would end up 0-0.
    Same points.
    Same goal difference.
    Penalty kicks at the end of the season.

You always leave a slight flaw in your posts, muppet.
    I pity you. But I guess if you don't realise that you're retarded then it's not as bad. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
  11. LA
    Moves
    24 May '07 09:02
    I pity you. But I guess if you don't realise that you're retarded then it's not as bad. Ignorance is bliss as they say.
    You're not even original, you're 'stealing' a quote I used in a previous post.
    Not surprising, you are a Liverpool supporter, actually you are not or you would be asleep after returning home from Greece.
  12. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 May '07 13:07
    You're not even original, you're 'stealing' a quote I used in a previous post.
    Not surprising, you are a Liverpool supporter, actually you are not or you would be asleep after returning home from Greece.
    So using well known quotes is now stealing is it? I can see you have "special needs" so I'm going to resist the urge to mock your stupidity further.
  13. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 May '07 13:28
    HMMM LET ME SEE WHEN WAS IT LIVERPOOL WON THE PREMIERSHIP
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 May '07 13:50
    Originally posted by smartrrrrs
    HMMM LET ME SEE WHEN WAS IT LIVERPOOL WON THE PREMIERSHIP
    Oh dear, another member of the window licking club. WTF has your post got to do with either the thread or the Rooney simpleton's post about penalties numbnuts? Jog along, the Sunshine Variety coach is outside to take you home.
  15. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 May '07 20:17
    Oh dear, another member of the window licking club. WTF has your post got to do with either the thread or the Rooney simpleton's post about penalties numbnuts? Jog along, the Sunshine Variety coach is outside to take you home.
    DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT CHILDISH NAME CALLING COULD IN SOME WAY BE CONSTRUED AS A HIGHER INTELECT,OR PERHAPS IN YOUR SOCIAL CIRCLES IT IS

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree