1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '07 09:40
    Rafa is demanding more money to be able to compete.

Most blatant confession of being a checkbook manager ever? Discuss.
  2. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 May '07 10:02
    Originally posted by Palynka

He is obviously mad.

The best players in the world would flock to Liverpool "city of culture" and play for free.

He should insist Gerrard should take a pay cut as well. £300 a week is plenty.

Its not as if footbal is run for the money after all. Chelsean, Man Utd and Arsenal would never dream of spending over £10 for a player.

Real smart post.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '07 10:08
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    He is obviously mad.

The best players in the world would flock to Liverpool "city of culture" and play for free.

He should insist Gerrard should take a pay cut as well. £300 a week is plenty.

Its not as if footbal is run for the money after all. Chelsean, Man Utd and Arsenal would never dream of spending over £10 for a player.

Real smart post.
    You didn't really understand the point of my post, but don't sweat about it.
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 May '07 11:14
    You didn't really understand the point of my post, but don't sweat about it.
    The point of your post was a blatant bit of fishing to see who'd bite.
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    25 May '07 11:28
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    I bite too often and that was the point of my reply too!
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '07 11:44
    At least you got a part of it right. Not the main point, though. Shame, really, I thought you would.
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:071 edit
    At least you got a part of it right. Not the main point, though. Shame, really, I thought you would.
    I'm sorry, I presumed anyone who reads your posts would know it was a light hearted dig at Liverpool (and other) fans who have failed to acknowledge your hero Jose Mourinho's acheivements with Chelsea. Preferring instead to call him a "cheque book manager" as you put it. I take it this was what you meant?

I'm surprised it didn't hook a few more to be honest.
    πŸ˜‰
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:17
    I'm sorry, I presumed anyone who reads your posts would know it was a light hearted dig at Liverpool (and other) fans who have failed to acknowledge your hero Jose Mourinho's acheivements with Chelsea. Preferring instead to call him a "cheque book manager" as you put it. I take it this was what you meant?

I'm surprised it didn't hook a few more to be honest.
    πŸ˜‰
    Ouch. πŸ™‚

Grammatical mistakes aside, my point was that all those nitwits that devalue Mourinho's work just because he spent large should realize that any coach with the power to spend would do so.
  9. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:32

Definitely. I think he's starting to feel a little left out. Liverpool have done well this season but all the other managers of the top 5 English Clubs have much deeper pockets than him. There has been a fair few rumours about Liverpool needing to bolster their squad and poor old Rafa hasn't got the readies to keep up with likes of Man Utd. and Chelsea.
  10. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:33
    Ouch. πŸ™‚

Grammatical mistakes aside, my point was that all those nitwits that devalue Mourinho's work just because he spent large should realize that any coach with the power to spend would do so.
    Rafa's not had big money to spend before, it'll be interesting to see how he spends it. LFC are clearly lacking out wide and up front (aren't they always?) so maybe linking Mascherano up with his old pal Mr Tevez (who's proven he can cut it in the Premiership) would be good idea.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:45
    Rafa's not had big money to spend before, it'll be interesting to see how he spends it. LFC are clearly lacking out wide and up front (aren't they always?) so maybe linking Mascherano up with his old pal Mr Tevez (who's proven he can cut it in the Premiership) would be good idea.
    He spent around 80 million quid in 3 seasons, but I agree that he spent much less than Chelsea.

Mascherano could be a key player for Liverpool. I'm not so sure that having his pal over would be good, it could be as performance boosting as disruptive.

I do agree that Liverpool needs better cover in the wings. Defence is not a priority, I guess. A midfield trio of Masch, Alonso, Gerrard seems solid. Then there's the question of 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. What do you think it's more likely? 4-5-1 works well in cup competitions, but I have my doubts about the premiership. If 4-5-1, at least the wingers should be very attack-minded. Zenden just isn't good enough and Pennant isn't regular. What do you think of the Owen rumours and in what tactical scheme would you fit him in?
  12. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:51
    He spent around 80 million quid in 3 seasons, but I agree that he spent much less than Chelsea.

Mascherano could be a key player for Liverpool. I'm not so sure that having his pal over would be good, it could be as performance boosting as disruptive.

I do agree that Liverpool needs better cover in the wings. Defence is not a priority, I guess. A midfie ...[text shortened]... ar. What do you think of the Owen rumours and in what tactical scheme would you fit him in?
    I hope the Owen rumours are just that - rumours. He can put away chances but he couldn't play up front on his own and due to his height is not likely to benefit from good crossing from the flanks. I'd prefer to see Tevez than any of the other names mentioned, although I wouldn't say no if Eto'o was interested!
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 May '07 12:561 edit
    I hope the Owen rumours are just that - rumours. He can put away chances but he couldn't play up front on his own and due to his height is not likely to benefit from good crossing from the flanks. I'd prefer to see Tevez than any of the other names mentioned, although I wouldn't say no if Eto'o was interested!
    My thoughts exactly, Owen would fit better in a 4-4-2 formation, and I don't see an easy fit for a 4-man midfield.

In a different perspective, if Owen has any chance to get back to former glory, Liverpool is the best club for him to do it.

Edit - I love the pre-season. πŸ™‚
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 May '07 21:00
    my point was that all those nitwits that devalue Mourinho's work just because he spent large should realize that any coach with the power to spend would do so.
    πŸ™„

You've two coaches...
    A) spends £700 thrillion and wins 2 leagues and 2 cups.
    B) operates on a transfer surplus and wins 2 leagues and 2 cups.

Which is the better manager?

Also, apart from the appalling lack of appreciation of truth in your point, you should realise that devaluing Mourinho's work due to his big spending, and what every coach would like to do are completely independent of each other.

D
  15. LA
    Moves
    26 May '07 10:48
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    πŸ™„

You've two coaches...
    A) spends £700 thrillion and wins 2 leagues and 2 cups.
    B) operates on a transfer surplus and wins 2 leagues and 2 cups.

Which is the better manager?

Also, apart from the appalling lack of appreciation of truth in your point, you should realise that devaluing Mourinho's work due to his big spending, and what every coach would like to do are completely independent of each other.

D
    Mourinho has made good and bad buys using the cheque book.
    Mourinho has developed talent through coaching while at Chelsea.

Rafa has not signed a single top class player for Liverpool using the cheque book.
    Rafa has not improved any player he has brought in to Liverpool, infact most have been moved on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree