1. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 05:512 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Chess is near valid... I would watch it on ESPN or ESPN2 when they show it.

I enjoy it.

I just hope it has a better chance than Monopoly or Parcheesi as a 'valid sport'.

I have never seen Monopoly covered on ESPN or in the sports pages... but I am SURE the fights are more intense!

P-
    ESPN also annually airs the Spelling Bee and they've televised Competitve Cup Stacking. Sports as well or activities for the Ritalin enhanced?
  2. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 06:58
    Originally posted by vacostner
    ESPN also annually airs the Spelling Bee and they've televised Competitve Cup Stacking. Sports as well or activities for the Ritalin enhanced?
    Really, you should mention that to Nordlys. I bet she would run right out and buy a Television set.
  3. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 07:19
    Good point Ash!

Dave
  4. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 14:14
    sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
    1.a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    b. A particular form of this activity.
    2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    3. An active pastime; recreation.

Personally, if you look at the definition of sport, chess doesn't actually fall under any of these categories. While certainly demanding mental exertion, not much physical activity going on during a chess match. At its most basic form chess can be thrown into the same category as Monopoly and Parcheesi, as all these games have a set of rules and are competitve. Chess does require more intellect and skill, afterall it is the Game of Kings.
  5. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:11
    sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
    1.a. [b]Physical activity
    that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Personal ...[text shortened]... are competitve. Chess does require more intellect and skill, afterall it is the Game of Kings.[/b]
    Oh I beg to differ...in a big tourney...like a 9 rounder...a person can lose up to 10lbs just from the stress.

It is physically demanding

Even on here I have to walk to the computer...look at the moves...walk to my bookcase...check a book to see if there is anything useful...walk back to the computer...oh wait that could have transposed from this opening too...walk back to the bookcase...etc

I hate walking

Dave
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:23
    sport (spôrt, sprt) n.
    that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Personal ...[text shortened]... are competitve. Chess does require more intellect and skill, afterall it is the Game of Kings.[/b]
    Do you open your dictionary and cross out everything but the first definition?

P-
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:38
    sport (spôrt, sprt) n.

I guess you wouldn't call wretching up your breakfast (or lunch) because of the stupid blunder move you made wouldn't count as "physical activity"??
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:38
    Why does y0da keep scribbling on his black notepad?
  9. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:42
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Oh I beg to differ...in a big tourney...like a 9 rounder...a person can lose up to 10lbs just from the stress.

It is physically demanding

Even on here I have to walk to the computer...look at the moves...walk to my bookcase...check a book to see if there is anything useful...walk back to the computer...oh wait that could have transposed from this opening too...walk back to the bookcase...etc

I hate walking

Dave
    I agree there is stress involved, but it's mentally induced, unless your opponent is kicking you under the table or somethng of that nature. Symptoms caused by stress may be physical, but that's different than having to use physical exertion to participate. I know you have to physically move the pieces, but that's not what we're talking about here.
  10. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 17:59
    Do you open your dictionary and cross out everything but the first definition?

P-
    No, I take the third definition as meaning physically active as well. In a vague sense of interpretation, you can devise any hobby or task as a sport. For instance, my girlfriend likes to pick up shells along the beach, that's recreation, doesn't make it a sport. You stroke this subject with a broad brush and anything becomes a "sport".
  11. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 18:27
    What exactly is the argument here? To me chess is all of the above.
    1) Is an art.
    2) Chess is a game.
    3) Chess is a sport.
    4) Chess is a recreation.
    5) Chess is a past time.
    5) Chess can be a profession.
    5) Chess is an Olympic event. http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/recognized/index_uk.asp

Chess is many things do different people.
  12. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 18:38
    Chess is a drug. For proof, I ref the withdrawl symptoms I experienced while RHP was offline last week.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 19:45
    No, I take the third definition as meaning physically active as well. In a vague sense of interpretation, you can devise any hobby or task as a sport. For instance, my girlfriend likes to pick up shells along the beach, that's recreation, doesn't make it a sport. You stroke this subject with a broad brush and anything becomes a "sport".
    Why would you assume definition one has anything to do with the other definitions? Definition 2 clearly says physical in it, because that's part of definition 2. Definition 3 says nothing about physical, because it is not part of the definition.

If you apply your 'reasoning' to many words in the dictionary with more than one meaning, your going to get some very strange definitions. Exceptional for example, try and reason any relationship between definition 1 and any of the others. Definitions are stated separate, and you don't refer back to definition 1 to figure out definition 3.

P-
  14. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:39
    Why would you assume definition one has anything to do with the other definitions? Definition 2 clearly says physical in it, because that's part of definition 2. Definition 3 says nothing about physical, because it is not part of the definition.

If you apply your 'reasoning' to many words in the dictionary with more than one meaning, your going to get ...[text shortened]... stated separate, and you don't refer back to definition 1 to figure out definition 3.

P-
    OK, so take it at face value then. Any activity you take part in as a form of recreation is then by definition considered a sport? I'm lying in a hammock with one foot on the ground rocking myself back and forth. Glad to know hammock rocking is now a sport.
  15. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:13
    OK, so take it at face value then. Any activity you take part in as a form of recreation is then by definition considered a sport? I'm lying in a hammock with one foot on the ground rocking myself back and forth. Glad to know hammock rocking is now a sport.
    If someone is willing to place a bet that you either fall out of the hammock and land on your head or your behind first and get exited at the results then it is a sport. 😉

I hope that makes sense. If not the visual image should be worth a chuckle. I'm laughing out loud. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree