1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 12:54
    To all cricket fans, please answer me something...

What is it that you find entertaining in cricket?

I've tried to watch it in the TV and also there's a bunch of
    Indians and Pakistanis here who gather in a park close to
    my home and play it, and I've patiently observed the
    game.

And still... I don't get its thrill.

Please orientate me.
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 13:10
    Originally posted by Seitse

[b]What is it that you find entertaining in cricket?

game.

Please orientate me.[/b]
    If you climb out of the ..tv.. ,stretch your legs and watch it in front of the ..tv you might get the jist ,maybe ?😛
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 04:523 edits

game.

Please orientate me.[/b]
    its a combination of the dynamics, i think. the conditions, the humidity, the state of the ball, the bowlers, the batsmen, the field placements, the deterioration or otherwise of the pitch, how fast is the outfield etc etc all of these things make it interesting. its usually the last few overs in a one day match, or in the recent test match in south Africa, where England created their own drama, three wickets to go and i think and twelve overs left for the saffers to bowl them out? that make it exciting. You should listen to it rather than watch it, while you are doing something else, the gardening for example. try to get test match special, Aggers and Blowers are awesome! sit down with a Pimms no1 with crushed ice and lemonade with a smattering of summer fruits and enjoy. It is perhaps one of those games where it is better to play than to watch.
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 06:14

game.

Please orientate me.[/b]
    CMJ, Aggers, Blowers, Bumble, Kerry O'Keefe, Michael Holding, Tony Cosier - need I say more.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 06:44
    It's the most strategic of sports there is. Especially tests that are played over 5 days.

There are so many variables, including weather conditions during and before the test, the type of pitch prepared.
    Pitches change character over the days the test is played and this can make balls hold up, bounce more or less than usual and also impacts lateral movement of the ball.
    There are many different types of bowlers who can usually exploit certain conditions of the pitch and the ball. Bowlers can bowl different lengths, speeds and some can generate spin, drift or swing.
    The ball also plays a huge part, as the balls degrade differently over time.
    There are different types of batsmen, some more defensive and others purely attacking, with all the flavours in between, with all the previously noted variables also impacting on the type of shots batsmen can attempt.
    The fielding captain can employ certain strategies with his bowlers and where certain batsmen have strengths or weaknesses can place fielders where batsmen will hit the ball.

This is still very simplified...

There is just no other sport that gets close to it. The fitness, powers of concentration and skills needed to win a test are unparalleled.

I posted a 'How To' a few years ago, dunno if anyone can find it...
  6. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 08:041 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    It's the most strategic of sports there is. Especially tests that are played over 5 days.

There are so many variables, including weather conditions during and before the test, the type of pitch prepared.
    Pitches change character over the days the test is played and this can make balls hold up, bounce more or less than usual and also impacts lateral mov ...[text shortened]... are unparalleled.

I posted a 'How To' a few years ago, dunno if anyone can find it...
    Absolutely brilliant post by Crowley.

To sum it up for our Nth American friends....cricket is like baseball except it is good.

Imagine chess on a field over 5 days where there are so many variables including the pitch, the weather and your own teams dynamics.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 08:38
    Originally posted by nook7
    Imagine chess on a field over 5 days where there are so many variables including the pitch, the weather and your own teams dynamics.
    If you want to take a chess analogy further, I'd say this:

Imagine teams of 11 chess players, in a tournament over 5 days. Some brilliant using white, some good using both colours and some brilliant using black. The team batting will play their brilliant black players against the brilliant white players of the fielding team, with the good all-rounder players chipping in after the brilliant games are finished. The scores will then be tallied.
    This is repeated 4 times.
    If time runs out, it's a draw. If all the games are finished in time, the team with the most wins, wins the test, or if scores are tied it's also a draw.
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 09:321 edit
    And yesterday was proof, if it was needed, that draws are not necessarily boring.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 10:59
    Originally posted by mtthw
    And yesterday was proof, if it was needed, that draws are not necessarily boring.
    Absolutely. I can't remember the last time I was on my feet, pacing around in front of the TV just before 6 on the last day of a test.
  10. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 22:58
    Good posts.

Those with no patience dont seem to be able to appreciate crickets finer qualities. l just hope we dont lose the longer form due to the rise of 20/20.
    They are already expanding the comp in australia at the expense of first class games.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 23:06
    Good posts.

Those with no patience dont seem to be able to appreciate crickets finer qualities. l just hope we dont lose the longer form due to the rise of 20/20.
    They are already expanding the comp in australia at the expense of first class games.
    20/20 has a place in cricket, but I'm sure it will merely impact on ODIs more than tests. I hope so at least.
  12. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 23:30
    20/20 has a place in cricket, but I'm sure it will merely impact on ODIs more than tests. I hope so at least.
    i agree that it has a place - for sure (i think it is a lot of fun)- but if you start undermining the base that provides test cricket and young players stop playing the longer form to concentrate on T20 then it will have a negative impact on the longer form.
    in India - and now Oz it seems administrators are just trying to cash in for the quick $ rather than doing it in a structured fashion thinking about bigger impacts.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 04:32
    What is it that you find entertaining in cricket?
    Hitting a ball and saying to the person who 'threw' it at you, "go fetch that" is satisfying.

'Throwing' a ball at someone in a way that is too difficult for them to hit it is satisfying.

Intercepting a ball that's moving through the air or along the ground with your hands, when there is some question as to whether you are able to do so successfully, is satisfying.

A lot of satisfying things all going on at the same time constitutes entertainment.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 07:14
    i agree that it has a place - for sure (i think it is a lot of fun)- but if you start undermining the base that provides test cricket and young players stop playing the longer form to concentrate on T20 then it will have a negative impact on the longer form.
    in India - and now Oz it seems administrators are just trying to cash in for the quick $ rather than doing it in a structured fashion thinking about bigger impacts.
    When big money is involved, ala IPL, then common sense usually flies out the window.

I think (hope) there are enough 'purists' around to keep the test game going. Looking at the amount of people at the ground in the series here, I think the game is still healthy.
  15. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 08:38
    When big money is involved, ala IPL, then common sense usually flies out the window.

I think (hope) there are enough 'purists' around to keep the test game going. Looking at the amount of people at the ground in the series here, I think the game is still healthy.
    Yeh l hope so. Now it looks like cricketers re using the IPL as a gravy train to finish their careers. Damien Martyn (remember him its been a while!) has come out of retirement (dont think he has played any cricket for a few years now!) to nominate for the IPL. Seems we will now have cricketers playing on a lot later than before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree