Cricket rant

Cricket rant

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
06 Jan 11

I hope the ICC reviews this series between India and South Africa and makes the UDRS mandatory. The ICC needs to take a stand and be done with it.

My god, for the third time an Indian batsman survives a LBW shout that should have been given out, and the South Africans have had 4 horrible LBW decisions against them this series that I saw - I haven't watched every single ball - there may have been more.

The Indians will be drawing a 3 match series they never should have, had the correct decisions been made. We can never say for sure, but like I've said before, I'd like the correct decision after every appeal please.

No wonder the Indians asked to not use the system.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Jan 11

Originally posted by Crowley
No wonder the Indians asked to not use the system.
But how could they know they would be the ones benefiting?

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
06 Jan 11

Cricket in India is second only to hmmmm, let me ponder that a while lol ...but to suggest it's anything other than important would be ignorance extreme. Unfortunately this has led to various rows with match fixing amongst them. In international cricket however, the neutrality of the officials is beyond doubt..I think S.A were just unfortunate !??

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
06 Jan 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Hawk-Eye doesn't take backhanders.

Except in tennis.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
07 Jan 11

Originally posted by Palynka
They didn't. They just seem to feel they get the short end of the stick - which is untrue.
I think it goes a little deeper than what many people sees. The pitches in Asia and the sub-continent are slower and lower bouncing, so the Indians are more used to these conditions. When they then ask for reviews on (especially LBW) decisions they are sure are out, their reviews get turned down meaning they lose review chances, which means they might not be able to later review actual horribly bad calls.

So, because they can't figure out which decisions need to be reviewed, they are voting against using a system that is in place to overturn obviously bad decisions.

Unfortunately in this series they had ALL the luck, about 7 decisions which would have been turned around in South Africa's favour, which really irritates the home fans.

There is then the people who, because of match-fixing scandals of the past, feel there are Indian bookmakers who pay the umpires to 'help' India along. This conspiracy theory is compounded by umpires grumbling because they want bigger pieces of the monetary pie that is international cricket.
I don't believe this is the case, merely the Indians who can't figure out how to properly use the system.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Jan 11

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
Cricket in India is second only to hmmmm, let me ponder that a while lol ...but to suggest it's anything other than important would be ignorance extreme. Unfortunately this has led to various rows with match fixing amongst them. In international cricket however, the neutrality of the officials is beyond doubt..I think S.A were just unfortunate !??
Yes, I think they were unfortunate, just like Australia were unfortunate to hit every edge to a fieldsman and England hit every ball ,that was in the air, into a gap in the ashes series.
Cricket is a funny game.

Having said that, I will be keeping a closer eye on the umpiring of such fixtures in the future.

Was there no review system in place?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Jan 11

They didn't. They just seem to feel they get the short end of the stick - which is untrue.
I think it goes a little deeper than what many people sees. The pitches in Asia and the sub-continent are slower and lower bouncing, so the Indians are more used to these conditions. When they then ask for reviews on (especially LBW) decisions they are sure are out, ...[text shortened]... this is the case, merely the Indians who can't figure out how to properly use the system.
Is it the same review system as over here? ie. 2 wrong challenges?

Moves
09 Jan 11

will this be in during the world cup?

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Jan 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Is it the same review system as over here? ie. 2 wrong challenges?
Yup. Except not everyone uses 'Hot Spot' (I may be wrong. I believe the 'Hot Spot' system is quite expensive and not used everywhere.)
The rest is there: Ultra slow motion, 'Hawk Eye' and 'Snicko'.

Seems the Indian bowlers have been able to convince their captain that LBW shouts are "Friggin PLUM man!", they invariably lose reviews and then are unable to review obvious mistakes later. This has made the BCCI believe the system is flawed, when the truth is their players just can't get the hang of it on-field.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Jan 11

Originally posted by trev33
will this be in during the world cup?
Don't know for sure. The ICC wants it to be used: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/460484.html
I hope it gets used. I've heard it may only be implemented for the final stages of the competition, because of the logistics of implementing it at every ground.

It irritates me that the ICC is using all the licensing money it makes to fly a bunch of pencil pushers around the world for meetings (read:sponsored vacations), instead of fulfilling their mandate and investing in this technology.
They are requiring the technology be used by the broadcasters, but the broadcaster has to make the investment with the ICC hanging their broadcasting agreement over their head like an axe.
Pure bureaucratic BS.

Moves
14 Jan 11

Pure bureaucratic BS.
fitting it'll be part held in india then.

the final stages as in the last 8? one of indias worse grounds is hosting one of the 1/4 matches, if they can set it up their i can't see why it can't be used in all of the oither grounds/matches. i hope they use it as well tbh, i really don't want one of the matches i'm seing to be spoiled by a bad empire... especially the 1/4.

M
Bat Chain Puller

Gone

Moves
16 Jan 11

Think I read that hot-spot will only be used for the final, but I might have that wrong.

m

Moves
17 Jan 11

The rest is there: Ultra slow motion, 'Hawk Eye' and 'Snicko'.
You sure about "Snicko"? That wasn't used in the Ashes, because it's too slow - takes too long to provide the video synched to the audio display. I wouldn't have thought that something too slow for a test match would be used in an ODI.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
18 Jan 11

Originally posted by mtthw
You sure about "Snicko"? That wasn't used in the Ashes, because it's too slow - takes too long to provide the video synched to the audio display. I wouldn't have thought that something too slow for a test match would be used in an ODI.
Maybe not, I'm not sure about snicko.