Does popularity mean anything?

Does popularity mean anything?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
03 May 07
1 edit

People argue that American Soccer is superior because it is the most popular sport in the world. Is that a valid argument, really? Can the best-selling albums of the year be qualified as the best? Are the highest rated television shows the best in the world? Can anything that is quantified as being the most popular be qualified as being the best?

My theory as to why football is popular in so many places around the world is that can be played using only a single ball and an open space. This easily makes it the most widely-played of the professional sports around the world - especially in "less-advantaged" regions of the world.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
03 May 07

I see what you're saying. But my question would be, what parameters can be used to define a sport as the 'best'?

d

Moves
03 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Fleabitten
I see what you're saying. But my question would be, what parameters can be used to define a sport as the 'best'?
I thought about that and it really is tough to establish such a criteria since it is completely subjective.

For me, what defines the 'best' sport is not only the game itself but the way the league is run and the way we connect with its athletes.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by darvlay
I thought about that and it really is tough to establish such a criteria since it is completely subjective.
Agreed. There's no doubt that claiming a sport is the best because it's the most popular is fallacious logic. But at the same time, I don't think there is any objective way to make the claim. My personal favorite is ice hockey, but only because it meets what I think makes a sport best: speed, physicality, low scoring.

Moves
03 May 07

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 May 07

My theory as to why football is popular in so many places around the world is that can be played using only a single ball and an open space.
Keep going. Step-by-step and you'll finally see the light.

d

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by Fleabitten
Agreed. There's no doubt that claiming a sport is the best because it's the most popular is fallacious logic. But at the same time, I don't think there is any objective way to make the claim. My personal favorite is ice hockey, but only because it meets what I think makes a sport best: speed, physicality, low scoring.
Nice. What's your team?

A

Moves
03 May 07

Popularity means nothing to me. And it certainly does not warrant anything being called "the best"

Such as the careers of Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson and that one weird chick that sings pop but thinks she's a punk rocker, have shown us.

As far as a sport example. The Oakland Raiders, they have a ginormus fan base. But lately they have stunk worse than last weeks garbage.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
03 May 07

Philadelphia Flyers. Needless to say, it was a brutal year. But I like the direction they're taking with the youth.

d

Moves
03 May 07

I suppose a better topic would have been: what do you think makes a sport great?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by AndrewKnott
Popularity means nothing to me. And it certainly does not warrant anything being called "the best"

Such as the careers of Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson and that one weird chick that sings pop but thinks she's a punk rocker, have shown us.

As far as a sport example. The Oakland Raiders, they have a ginormus fan base. But lately they have stunk worse than last weeks garbage.
Nice avatar. Madvillain fan?

At least your taste in music is better than your taste in sports.

A

Moves
03 May 07
1 edit

I suppose a better topic would have been: what do you think makes a sport great?
I'll watch anything if it's not a complete blow out.

I mean I prefer college level American football though.

A

Moves
03 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Nice avatar. Madvillain fan?

At least your taste in music is better than your taste in sports.
Yes, I am a Madvillian fan. I like almost anything that Madlib touches. Current favorite is that "Champion Sound" album by Jaylib (AKA J Dilla and Madlib). Although I'm sick of remembering all of these monikers(sp?). I mean between Madlib and MF Doom, it's almost a full time job.

My taste in sports? Meaning? Cause to this point I hadn't given any preferences. The Raiders were used as an example.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 May 07

You could just as well start a discussion about the best ice-cream flavour.

d

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by Palynka
You could just as well start a discussion about the best ice-cream flavour.
Yeah, I realize that now. 😞