Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

1. 03 May '07 14:12 / 1 edit
    People argue that American Soccer is superior because it is the most popular sport in the world. Is that a valid argument, really? Can the best-selling albums of the year be qualified as the best? Are the highest rated television shows the best in the world? Can anything that is quantified as being the most popular be qualified as being the best?

My theory as to why football is popular in so many places around the world is that can be played using only a single ball and an open space. This easily makes it the most widely-played of the professional sports around the world - especially in "less-advantaged" regions of the world.
  2. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    03 May '07 14:15
    I see what you're saying. But my question would be, what parameters can be used to define a sport as the 'best'?
  3. 03 May '07 14:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    I see what you're saying. But my question would be, what parameters can be used to define a sport as the 'best'?
    I thought about that and it really is tough to establish such a criteria since it is completely subjective.

For me, what defines the 'best' sport is not only the game itself but the way the league is run and the way we connect with its athletes.
  4. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    03 May '07 14:24
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I thought about that and it really is tough to establish such a criteria since it is completely subjective.
    Agreed. There's no doubt that claiming a sport is the best because it's the most popular is fallacious logic. But at the same time, I don't think there is any objective way to make the claim. My personal favorite is ice hockey, but only because it meets what I think makes a sport best: speed, physicality, low scoring.
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    03 May '07 14:30
    My theory as to why football is popular in so many places around the world is that can be played using only a single ball and an open space.
    Keep going. Step-by-step and you'll finally see the light.
  6. 03 May '07 14:34
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Agreed. There's no doubt that claiming a sport is the best because it's the most popular is fallacious logic. But at the same time, I don't think there is any objective way to make the claim. My personal favorite is ice hockey, but only because it meets what I think makes a sport best: speed, physicality, low scoring.
    Nice. What's your team?
  7. 03 May '07 14:35
    Popularity means nothing to me. And it certainly does not warrant anything being called "the best"

Such as the careers of Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson and that one weird chick that sings pop but thinks she's a punk rocker, have shown us.

As far as a sport example. The Oakland Raiders, they have a ginormus fan base. But lately they have stunk worse than last weeks garbage.
  8. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    03 May '07 14:36
    Philadelphia Flyers. Needless to say, it was a brutal year. But I like the direction they're taking with the youth.
  9. 03 May '07 14:37
    I suppose a better topic would have been: what do you think makes a sport great?
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    03 May '07 14:38
    Originally posted by AndrewKnott
    Popularity means nothing to me. And it certainly does not warrant anything being called "the best"

Such as the careers of Britney Spears, Ashlee Simpson and that one weird chick that sings pop but thinks she's a punk rocker, have shown us.

As far as a sport example. The Oakland Raiders, they have a ginormus fan base. But lately they have stunk worse than last weeks garbage.
    Nice avatar. Madvillain fan?

At least your taste in music is better than your taste in sports.
  11. 03 May '07 14:39 / 1 edit
    I suppose a better topic would have been: what do you think makes a sport great?
    I'll watch anything if it's not a complete blow out.

I mean I prefer college level American football though.
  12. 03 May '07 14:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Nice avatar. Madvillain fan?

At least your taste in music is better than your taste in sports.
    Yes, I am a Madvillian fan. I like almost anything that Madlib touches. Current favorite is that "Champion Sound" album by Jaylib (AKA J Dilla and Madlib). Although I'm sick of remembering all of these monikers(sp?). I mean between Madlib and MF Doom, it's almost a full time job.

My taste in sports? Meaning? Cause to this point I hadn't given any preferences. The Raiders were used as an example.
  13. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    03 May '07 14:42
    You could just as well start a discussion about the best ice-cream flavour.
  14. 03 May '07 14:43
    Yeah, I realize that now.
  15. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    03 May '07 14:47
    Mint chocolate chip.