1. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 17:00
    Originally posted by darvlay
    People argue that American Soccer is superior because it is the most popular sport in the world. Is that a valid argument, really? Can the best-selling albums of the year be qualified as the best? Are the highest rated television shows the best in the world? Can anything that is quantified as being the most popular be qualified as being the best?

My t ...[text shortened]... e professional sports around the world - especially in "less-advantaged" regions of the world.
    The fact that it is so widely played DOES make it the best sport.

I watch soccer mainly because when I am watching it, I am watching THE world game. It has many flaws, but it is the game that brings together the world.

The greatest players can come from the slums of Rio or Nigeria.

It is sad that the USA does not share in this fully.
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    04 May '07 12:46
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    The fact that it is so widely played DOES make it the best sport.

I watch soccer mainly because when I am watching it, I am watching THE world game. It has many flaws, but it is the game that brings together the world.

The greatest players can come from the slums of Rio or Nigeria.

It is sad that the USA does not share in this fully.
    Alot of the players in baseball now came from the slums of latin american countries learning to play with a stick as a bat and an old milk carton for a glove.

I heard on ESPN the other day that baseball is the fastest growing sport in the world, many countries are starting to embrace it.
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 16:31
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Alot of the players in baseball now came from the slums of latin american countries learning to play with a stick as a bat and an old milk carton for a glove.

I heard on ESPN the other day that baseball is the fastest growing sport in the world, many countries are starting to embrace it.
    Its funny, baseball, cricket, I love the stats they produce because of the nerd in me but I am asleep if I even try to watch. Mind you I was the same about soccer until I was 30, now I love watching it.

I thought that baseball was struggling to maintain its position in the US?

For me any game that can be played in the slums is a big plus. Golf is a great game but i hardly ever play it as I hate golf snobs.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 May '07 16:36
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    For me any game that can be played in the slums is a big plus. Golf is a great game but i hardly ever play it as I hate golf snobs.
    Spot on. I tried to play some golf in the local slums but I couldn't find any holes that weren't filled with rats...
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 May '07 19:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Spot on. I tried to play some golf in the local slums but I couldn't find any holes that weren't filled with rats...
    The increasing popularity of the driving range and the mythic éclat of the drive-by shooting could be fruitfully combined in slum areas, it seems to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree