1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Nov '12 18:21
    We had this discussion in this thread (which is now closed): http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=145041&page=&page=3

Does sh76 want to revisit that assessment based on this year's performance? Eli has been horrid the last three weeks and was totally outplayed by Big Ben last week. Peyton seems healthy again and is putting up better numbers. I'd say that my opinion that Eli is 6th at best is looking pretty solid.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '12 22:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    We had this discussion in this thread (which is now closed): http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=145041&page=&page=3

Does sh76 want to revisit that assessment based on this year's performance? Eli has been horrid the last three weeks and was totally outplayed by Big Ben last week. Peyton seems healthy again and is pu ...[text shortened]... ng up better numbers. I'd say that my opinion that Eli is 6th at best is looking pretty solid.
    Aren't you do one who says one season is never enough to evaluate a QB? Agreed: horrid season thus far. Outplayed by Big Ben. No doubt. Eli's a gamer come crunch time and only has so so regular season performance so this is not unusual except for the INT's. One of three QB's who's never lost a SB(with multiples). Great as Brady is he's lost two SB's. Ben has lost one. Bro Payton has lost one. No better crunch time QB than Montana, and Bradshaw, but Eli has time to win another two, perhaps more. I for one still think that despite the awful season Eli is a top five QB.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Nov '12 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Does sh76 want to revisit that assessment based on this year's performance? Eli has been horrid the last three weeks and was totally outplayed by Big Ben last week. Peyton seems healthy again and is pu ...[text shortened]... ng up better numbers. I'd say that my opinion that Eli is 6th at best is looking pretty solid.
    Eli has had a bad month, no question. But he had a good month before that and maybe next month will be better. I think QB stats are best reviewed in whole seasons. In baseball, stats tend to be pretty consistent when you look at large sample sizes. In football, seasons ebb and flow dramatically. Eli has had bad months before only to turn it on down the stretch. Last night, Ben was 9-18 for only 84 yards before he got hurt.

While Ben is certainly enjoying a better year over-all, I should note that even so, Eli has completed more passes for more yards and has averaged more yards per attempt.
    (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2012/seasontype/2).

While Eli's rating is killed by his 11 picks and while Ben has thrown 5 more TDs, it's also worth nothing that the Giants have scored 60 more points than Pitt this year (albeit in one more game). Surely the fact that the Giants have 12 rushing TDs and Pitt only 4 has something to do with Eli, does it not?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '12 03:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    Eli has had a bad month, no question. But he had a good month before that and maybe next month will be better. I think QB stats are best reviewed in whole seasons. In baseball, stats tend to be pretty consistent when you look at large sample sizes. In football, seasons ebb and flow dramatically. Eli has had bad months before only to turn it on down the stretch. ...[text shortened]... that the Giants have 12 rushing TDs and Pitt only 4 has something to do with Eli, does it not?
    I agree with you entirely. Eli Manning has slumps, yet when it counts he turns on the heat! In crunch time few perform like Eli and Big Ben. Compare to Jay Cutler who folds under pressure, or Phillip Rivers, or Romo, all roller coaster guys unlikely to become better under fire. I'll take Eli any time!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree