1. Joined
    24 Nov '09
    Moves
    16 May '10 21:19
    Yeah! England are Cricket World Twenty20 Champions.
    A nice thrashing of the Aussies.
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 May '10 23:30
    You mean the combined England/SA team, surely?

All jokes aside, congrats on a great tournament. I'm surprised how quickly England and Australia had built up good T20 sides after slow starts.

SA choked. Again.
    I can't understand how Pakistan actually still get as far as they do with their mediocre side. They have some sort of voodoo over the South Africans.
    I thought after 3 years of IPL the Indians would be unbeatable, but they just can't seem to gel.
  3. 6yd box
    Moves
    17 May '10 13:06
    Originally posted by Crowley
    You mean the combined England/SA team, surely?

All jokes aside, congrats on a great tournament. I'm surprised how quickly England and Australia had built up good T20 sides after slow starts.

SA choked. Again.
    I can't understand how Pakistan actually still get as far as they do with their mediocre side. They have some sort of voodoo over the South ...[text shortened]... hought after 3 years of IPL the Indians would be unbeatable, but they just can't seem to gel.
    SA always choke..when was the last time they made any of the oneday finals of note?

just 'bottlers' as we say here
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 May '10 15:31
    Originally posted by spurs73
    SA always choke..when was the last time they made any of the oneday finals of note?

just 'bottlers' as we say here
    I wouldn't call this a "choke". Choking is when you ought to win, and then bottle it. Here they never really looked up to it.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 May '10 11:54
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I wouldn't call this a "choke". Choking is when you ought to win, and then bottle it. Here they never really looked up to it.
    Bull.
    SA has more than enough talent to at least reach the semis of any and every tournament.
    Unfortunately our players short-circuit when they get to world cups and look like a bunch of school kids buggering around in a park.

I still blame the SA world cup form on that '92 semi-final abortion when we should have gone through if there was a D/L system in place and we would've killed that Pakistan team in the final.
    That just set the scene for all world cups to follow.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 May '10 14:15
    That may be true. But it's not "choking", in the way that most people use it in connection with sport. Playing below your capabilities isn't choking. Playing well and then going to pieces in critical situations is.

By the way - the '92 WC was ridiculous, as any sane person would agree. But with D/L you'd still have needed 4 off the last ball. Hardly a dead cert.
  7. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 May '10 04:03

That just set the scene for all world cups to follow.
    Rubbish! 1992 was a long time ago and South Africa are a completely different team now. So what happened then is in no way relevant now. South Africa just don't seem to be able to get it right when it really matters. Winning a series against another country is nice but doesn't REALLY matter.. not like a World Cup or big tournament.

And besides, this is a different form of the game now anyway.. a hit and giggle 20-20 format.

It was very bad luck for South Africa in 1992 - what an appalling "revised" total (or system in general)!! Why couldn't they play those 22 balls (or so) anyway? Who cares if it went 15 mins longer than the "end" time. What a joke! But that was then, this is now.
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 May '10 22:10
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Rubbish! 1992 was a long time ago and South Africa are a completely different team now.
    Uhm, it was meant to be a joke actually. Christ, you guys need to lighten up a little. I know I give a lot of chirp, but surely this one was obvious?
  9. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 May '10 23:46
    Uhm, it was meant to be a joke actually. Christ, you guys need to lighten up a little. I know I give a lot of chirp, but surely this one was obvious?
    Yeah, on these online communication forums, much is lost in translation from what is said by the writer to what is understood by the reader. Obviously I missed the joke.. heh My bad. Keep the chirp up.. love it! 😉
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 May '10 19:22
    England beat Australia in T20.
    Might as well flip a coin.
    Imagine if it was ten overs.. or five?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree