1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 18:29
    I wouldn't have voted for it myself. David Beckham is as inspiring as a wet fish. Our football team our rubbish.

Good result for common sense.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 19:29
    I like the attitude of going for a different nation each time. Russia and Qatar should be very interesting places for a world cup and have totally different atmospheres. I can imagine Qatar sparing no expense to produce the most amazing stadia the world has ever seen. I can see England preparing the 'can't play in this heat' excuses already though.
  3. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 19:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I wouldn't have voted for it myself. David Beckham is as inspiring as a wet fish. Our football team our rubbish.

russia was always going to win, bribes excluded, beckham prince william and cameron, cant think of 3 more boring people.
  4. Shanghai
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 20:01
    I think the England bid was doomed when it came out as being technically the best. This is the wrong thing to focus on. To win you need more efficient back scratching and brown nosing.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '10 20:321 edit
    Yep - these four posts pretty much sums it up; when will the FA realise that Beckham is a lame duck.

We have a boring, crap and totaly overrated football team who's only thin claim to credibility is the strength of the PL, which is only what it is due to foreign investment on and off the pitch -- nothing more.

After our truly sickening performance in SA I don't watch England anymore anyway.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 00:02
    FIFA gives the two World Cups to the two most autocratic states bidding. I'm guessing above the law subservience was high on the priority list.
  7. Standard memberVepsen
    Wasp the
    By the seaside
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 00:31
    Total waste of time and money. Blatter and his crew should be billed for the costs as the established nations were never in it. Speculation abounds who paid who but the move away from FIFA is inevitable in the long run.

Once choices are made on political and favour grounds and not football the seed is sown.

FIFA and UEFA are corrupt. Good enough reasons to bin them. The English FA will not break away but the leading premiership clubs, once they have hijacked the national federations will.

It's a shame the Americans weren't listening in on coversations between Blatter and Putin, we could have got it on WikiLeaks. That would have made today’s vote interesting

England only got one vote in reality as our man voted for us anyway. Just before the bean count Blatter reminded the committee who had been slagging them off this week. Nice one.
  8. Shanghai
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 01:08
    I think it was a shame that a bbc investigation about corruption in FIFA was supposed to be a bad thing and that the BBC were being encouraged to hush it up. I hope that the UK press now go for FIFA so they can clean their act up like the IOC had to.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by deriver69
    I think it was a shame that a bbc investigation about corruption in FIFA was supposed to be a bad thing and that the BBC were being encouraged to hush it up. I hope that the UK press now go for FIFA so they can clean their act up like the IOC had to.
    I really am glad England didn't win - our international team are a joke. I couldn't bear the humiliation at Wembley in 2018.

You are right about corruption; I posted in here some time back about a Chelsea CL game being fixed so they lost, of course there was massive ridicule and accusations of me making excuses for my team, but I had absolutely no doubt that the game was fixed. There have been others too imo.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 15:37
    Originally posted by Vepsen
    FIFA and UEFA are corrupt. Good enough reasons to bin them. The English FA will not break away but the leading premiership clubs, once they have hijacked the national federations will.
    You are assuming that these leading Premiership clubs are not themselves as corrupt as a USAnian investment firm and a Russian mafia-tycoon. Which clubs would those be again, Chelsea and Greater London, oops, M#&chester United? Even discounting those two (and their counterparts in other countries *couch*AZ*cough*Vitesse*cough* ), recent history does not suggest that professional football clubs can be trusted to provide a sound, fair financial regime.

Richard
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 21:10
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    You are assuming that these leading Premiership clubs are not themselves as corrupt as a USAnian investment firm and a Russian mafia-tycoon. Which clubs would those be again, Chelsea and Greater London, oops, M#&chester United? Even discounting those two (and their counterparts in other countries *couch*AZ*cough*Vitesse*cough* ), recent history does not ...[text shortened]... professional football clubs can be trusted to provide a sound, fair financial regime.

Richard
    It's nothing to do with the clubs!
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 03:04

A WC in 115F het will be such a joy. FIFA are idiots! It is too bad a nation with no stadia, no hotels and nothing to offer won out, likely through bribery. Why not a natin with actual infrascture?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 08:02
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    A WC in 115F het will be such a joy. FIFA are idiots! It is too bad a nation with no stadia, no hotels and nothing to offer won out, likely through bribery. Why not a natin with actual infrascture?
    Agreed, UK football infrastructure is top class and from a PR and practical viewpoint we would have done the world proud.

I'm still glad it's not coming home though...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 13:42
    Agreed, UK football infrastructure is top class and from a PR and practical viewpoint we would have done the world proud.

I'm still glad it's not coming home though...
    Its realpolitiks, thats all, it has nothing to do with who has the best bid, the best stadia, the best infrastructure, what the media reported. England can be pleased that they have kept what once made them honourable, a sense of fair play, but ethics mean nothing in a snake pit.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 15:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    England can be pleased that they have kept what once made them honourable, a sense of fair play,
    Snigger. That explains the torrent of sour grapes from pundits all over Auntie.

Let's be honest here, both their and my country's FAs were perfectly happy to go into the bidding process, which knew d@@ned well was corrupt long before they entered it, and perfectly happy to play that game. Had they (or we) been elected, would there have been such complaints about FIFA being corrupt? Certainly not! But it would have been no less corrupt then, it would just have been corrupt in a Shearer-pleasing direction.
    They wanted to play a game they knew is fixed; they cannot now complain about the outcome. If they really had a problem with corruption, they would not have been there in the first place.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree