Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 04 Sep '07 22:22
    So I am just curious, how popular are the other sports in England besides football?
  2. 04 Sep '07 22:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    So I am just curious, how popular are the other sports in England besides football?
    although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

    edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english
  3. 04 Sep '07 23:02
    Originally posted by trevor33
    although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

    edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english
    LOL! Very unfair!!

    Popular in terms of both playing and spectating I would say are
    1. football
    2. cricket
    3. rugby- (union)

    Although fishing, I understand is the most participating sport in the world
  4. 04 Sep '07 23:08
    Originally posted by spurs73
    LOL! Very unfair!!

    Popular in terms of both playing and spectating I would say are
    1. football
    2. cricket
    3. rugby- (union)

    Although fishing, I understand is the most participating sport in the world
    have have to admit though it is partly true, remember when the mixed doubles pair won the silver in badminton at the olympics? all over the media, before that no one gave a crap about badminton.

    can you call fishing a sport though?
  5. 04 Sep '07 23:11
    what bouts Badminton?
  6. 04 Sep '07 23:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trevor33
    have have to admit though it is partly true, remember when the mixed doubles pair won the silver in badminton at the olympics? all over the media, before that no one gave a crap about badminton.

    can you call fishing a sport though?
    hehehehehe... yes i do remember....

    i forgot Golf, should be in the list somewhere and F1 now we got lewis Hamilton
  7. 04 Sep '07 23:28
    Originally posted by spurs73
    hehehehehe... yes i do remember....

    i forgot Golf, should be in the list somewhere and F1 now we got lewis Hamilton
    and the murrays *cough* i mean tennis
  8. 05 Sep '07 09:10 / 1 edit
    In terms of media attention football dwarfs everything else. Other sports might compete for a while when there's a big event on (especially the Olympics) but not the rest of the time. The Rugby Union World Cup is about to start, and that will get coverage, but there'll still be more football in the papers than rugby.

    There are a few sports that have a lot of participants - badminton is a good example. But people play, they don't watch.
  9. 05 Sep '07 09:10
    Originally posted by trevor33
    and the murrays *cough* i mean tennis
    Tennis is a big sport here two weeks a year.
  10. 05 Sep '07 09:13
    Originally posted by trevor33
    although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

    edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english
    Surely this applies to all countrys, if your bad at a certain sport, then you are not going to get much coverage in the media hence your sport seeming unpopular. Badminton may not get much coverage on rupert murdochs media machine but i can tell you it is still a much participated and enjoyed sport by a hell of a lot of people as is "ping pong".
  11. 05 Sep '07 09:23
    Originally posted by trevor33
    although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

    edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english
    As an Englishman who has spent a large part of his life playing and coaching ping pong, it is very much a minority sport in Britain.

    I had an 16 year old exchange student from China who become no. 1 in England in the Woman's ranking list. Yet in China she was not even good enough to remain at the academy she had trained at.
  12. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    05 Sep '07 09:45
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    So I am just curious, how popular are the other sports in England besides football?
    It all depends on how well we're doing on the International front of the sport.

    If we're doing bad - no fans.
    If we're doing well - fans jump on the bandwagon to support the national team then after the International event ends around 50% of the new fans will latch onto their local teams and support them for about 3 to 6 months until they get bored or another sport becomes fashionably popular.
  13. Standard member Goatboysrevenge
    Justice 4 the 96
    05 Sep '07 11:53
    I depends on where you are in England as well. I'm from the top end of Merseyside originally, which is almost all Football (Soccer) and Rugby League. I live in Bristol now, and the number one sport in the South west I would say is Rugby Union, followed by Football.

    Rugby Union is predominately played in the South of England, with only a few teams in the north, whereas the north and especially the north West & Midlands is a hotbed of Rugby League.
  14. 05 Sep '07 11:57
    Originally posted by trevor33
    although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

    edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english
    good all rounders then
  15. 05 Sep '07 12:02
    Originally posted by Goatboysrevenge
    I depends on where you are in England as well. I'm from the top end of Merseyside originally, which is almost all Football (Soccer) and Rugby League. I live in Bristol now, and the number one sport in the South west I would say is Rugby Union, followed by Football.

    Rugby Union is predominately played in the South of England, with only a few teams ...[text shortened]... north, whereas the north and especially the north West & Midlands is a hotbed of Rugby League.
    Where i am from Football is highly popular folowed by darts and pool ,this is normally followed by boxing which degenerates into wrestling cross country running bit more wrestling then an appearance on centre court