English Sports

English Sports

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
04 Sep 07

So I am just curious, how popular are the other sports in England besides football?

t

my island

Moves
04 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
So I am just curious, how popular are the other sports in England besides football?
although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english πŸ˜‰

s

6yd box

Moves
04 Sep 07

Originally posted by trevor33
although not an englishman myself i can tell you that ping pong is its second most popular sport.

edit: seriously thought whatever they're good at is popular. when they won the ashes cricket was their favorite, won the rugby world cup rugby became their favorite - yep very fickle the english πŸ˜‰
LOL! Very unfair!!

Popular in terms of both playing and spectating I would say are
1. football
2. cricket
3. rugby- (union)

Although fishing, I understand is the most participating sport in the world

t

my island

Moves
04 Sep 07

Originally posted by spurs73
LOL! Very unfair!!

Popular in terms of both playing and spectating I would say are
1. football
2. cricket
3. rugby- (union)

Although fishing, I understand is the most participating sport in the world
have have to admit though it is partly true, remember when the mixed doubles pair won the silver in badminton at the olympics? all over the media, before that no one gave a crap about badminton.

can you call fishing a sport though?

M

Moves
04 Sep 07

what bouts Badminton?

s

6yd box

Moves
04 Sep 07
1 edit

have have to admit though it is partly true, remember when the mixed doubles pair won the silver in badminton at the olympics? all over the media, before that no one gave a crap about badminton.

can you call fishing a sport though?
hehehehehe... yes i do remember....

i forgot Golf, should be in the list somewhere and F1 now we got lewis Hamilton

t

my island

Moves
04 Sep 07

Originally posted by spurs73
hehehehehe... yes i do remember....

i forgot Golf, should be in the list somewhere and F1 now we got lewis Hamilton
and the murrays *cough* i mean tennis πŸ˜›

m

Moves
05 Sep 07
1 edit

In terms of media attention football dwarfs everything else. Other sports might compete for a while when there's a big event on (especially the Olympics) but not the rest of the time. The Rugby Union World Cup is about to start, and that will get coverage, but there'll still be more football in the papers than rugby.

There are a few sports that have a lot of participants - badminton is a good example. But people play, they don't watch.

m

Moves
05 Sep 07

and the murrays *cough* i mean tennis πŸ˜›
Tennis is a big sport here two weeks a year.

sc

where angels play

Moves
05 Sep 07

Surely this applies to all countrys, if your bad at a certain sport, then you are not going to get much coverage in the media hence your sport seeming unpopular. Badminton may not get much coverage on rupert murdochs media machine but i can tell you it is still a much participated and enjoyed sport by a hell of a lot of people as is "ping pong".

p

Moves
05 Sep 07

As an Englishman who has spent a large part of his life playing and coaching ping pong, it is very much a minority sport in Britain.

I had an 16 year old exchange student from China who become no. 1 in England in the Woman's ranking list. Yet in China she was not even good enough to remain at the academy she had trained at.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
05 Sep 07

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
It all depends on how well we're doing on the International front of the sport.

If we're doing bad - no fans.
If we're doing well - fans jump on the bandwagon to support the national team then after the International event ends around 50% of the new fans will latch onto their local teams and support them for about 3 to 6 months until they get bored or another sport becomes fashionably popular.

G
Justice 4 the 96

Airstrip One

Moves
05 Sep 07

I depends on where you are in England as well. I'm from the top end of Merseyside originally, which is almost all Football (Soccer) and Rugby League. I live in Bristol now, and the number one sport in the South west I would say is Rugby Union, followed by Football.

Rugby Union is predominately played in the South of England, with only a few teams in the north, whereas the north and especially the north West & Midlands is a hotbed of Rugby League.

s

Moves
05 Sep 07

good all rounders then

s

Moves
05 Sep 07

Originally posted by Goatboysrevenge
I depends on where you are in England as well. I'm from the top end of Merseyside originally, which is almost all Football (Soccer) and Rugby League. I live in Bristol now, and the number one sport in the South west I would say is Rugby Union, followed by Football.

Rugby Union is predominately played in the South of England, with only a few teams ...[text shortened]... north, whereas the north and especially the north West & Midlands is a hotbed of Rugby League.
Where i am from Football is highly popular folowed by darts and pool ,this is normally followed by boxing which degenerates into wrestling cross country running bit more wrestling then an appearance on centre court