1. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 12:15
    Originally posted by Goatboysrevenge
    I depends on where you are in England as well. I'm from the top end of Merseyside originally, which is almost all Football (Soccer) and Rugby League. I live in Bristol now, and the number one sport in the South west I would say is Rugby Union, followed by Football.

Rugby Union is predominately played in the South of England, with only a few teams ...[text shortened]... north, whereas the north and especially the north West & Midlands is a hotbed of Rugby League.
    Midlands for Rugby League?

I guess it depends on your definition of Mid, but if you look at RL superleague, none of the clubs are in the Midlands.

Coventry, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham all have bigger RU teams than RL, none of which are regarded as being bigger than their respective Cricket County (Warks for Cov incase you weren't sure).

The middle of the North (e.g. Leeds, Bradford) does have more RL than RU.
  2. Standard memberGoatboysrevenge
    Justice 4 the 96
    Airstrip One
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 13:12
    Originally posted by rhb
    Midlands for Rugby League?

I guess it depends on your definition of Mid, but if you look at RL superleague, none of the clubs are in the Midlands.

Coventry, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham all have bigger RU teams than RL, none of which are regarded as being bigger than their respective Cricket County (Warks for Cov incase you weren't sure).

The middle of the North (e.g. Leeds, Bradford) does have more RL than RU.
    Apologies that I wasn't clear, I did mean Yorkshire based teams!
  3. USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 13:33
    Is NFL Europa popular?
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 13:54
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Is NFL Europa popular?
    Since it's just been discontinued, I think we can safely say "no".
  5. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 14:54
    Firstly, we do not play sports we play sport. We used to have a plethora of popular sports in the days of Frank Bough and Grandstand.

Rupert Murdoch has poured millions at football this has come to dominate.
    Cricket has now sold out to his TV empire but this may be counter productive.
    Tennis, Rowing, Hockey and Rugby Union are mainly played by middle class kids.
    Boxing, Rugby League and Football are working class games.

This weekend England are playing Football, Rugby and Cricket - but to read the papers who wouldn't know about rugby or cricket - more is the shame.
  6. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 16:27
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Firstly, we do not play sports we play sport. We used to have a plethora of popular sports in the days of Frank Bough and Grandstand.

Tennis, Rowing, Hockey and Rugby Union are mainly played by middle ...[text shortened]... Cricket - but to read the papers who wouldn't know about rugby or cricket - more is the shame.
    Do we play sport or merely participate in it?
  7. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 16:331 edit
    And how come we have sports day,in which we have various sports so if we we play more than one ,are we not indulging in sports,I may well be wrong but to play sport doesnt sound right to me
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 18:00

Tennis, Rowing, Hockey and Rugby Union are mainly played by middle ...[text shortened]... Cricket - but to read the papers who wouldn't know about rugby or cricket - more is the shame.
    what is the difference between Rugby Union and Rugby League?
  9. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 18:40
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    About 20k per annum
  10. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 18:53
    Unoin is played in 8 countires
    League is played in 2
  11. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 19:02
    Unoin is played in 8 countires
    League is played in 2
    ?

I thought it was 13 vs 15 in the main.
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 19:06
    rugby union has 15 players per side and is more of a passing (and kicking) game.

Rubgy league has 13 players per side the has some similiarty to you NFL in that the prpose is to gain yeardage. You get 6 chances to move the ball over the oppoising goal line.

You will also find, i think(?) League players tend to be on avg. heaver and then their union counter-parts, but not always.
  13. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '07 21:04
    Once upon a time it was all just rugby.you had gentlemen players and working class ones,It was very popular in the north of England.Yorkshire and Lancashire had lots of working class players mainly miners,they had to work till 1pm climb 2-3 miles out of the pit and then go and play ,away games were impossible,so the team owners started paying them to have saturdays off .The RFU disagreed with this and in the 1890s the Yorkshire and Lancashire teams split and formed their own league.since then the game has mutated in different directions
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 10:021 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 19:03
    So I am just curious, how popular are the other sports in England besides football?
    How does Rugby Union rate in the U.S? Is it followed at all? England play the U.S.A tomorrow in the World Cup..is it being televised and publicised?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree