1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Dec '23 21:03
    I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gun to Mr. Yellow insurance guy and his stupid bird!) From now on its 10 min. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! 😕
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '23 01:59
    @mchill said
    I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gu ...[text shortened]... in. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! 😕
    When I was following Fantasy Football, I got a sub to NFL: Red Zone, and they covered just the highlights, mainly the scoring plays, even for games that were not broadcast. I can't say there's fewer commercials, but it doesn't seem as intrusive because the coverage of each game is minimal, especially if it was a low-score game.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '23 22:18
    @suzianne said
    When I was following Fantasy Football, I got a sub to NFL: Red Zone, and they covered just the highlights, mainly the scoring plays, even for games that were not broadcast. I can't say there's fewer commercials, but it doesn't seem as intrusive because the coverage of each game is minimal, especially if it was a low-score game.
    FYI, you still have a dead team going in the RHP fantasy football, maybe next year either play or remove your team?
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Dec '23 09:38
    @mchill said
    I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gu ...[text shortened]... in. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! 😕
    I sometimes watch baseball when it is broadcast in the UK.
    I just record it and fast forward the adverts
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '24 19:48
    I went to watch a football game and ended up watching a soccer game instead. I went to a fight and hockey game broke out. Life is funny sometimes.

-VR
  6. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    18 Jan '24 20:06

Removed by poster

7. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    18 Jan '24 20:08
    @Very-Rusty baseball or cricket
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    30 Jan '24 15:18
    @mchill
    very good. I gave up professional sports years ago... Especially the STUPID BOWL...
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Feb '24 20:47
    @mchill said
    It's not football that's lost you, it's commercial television.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Mar '24 12:17
    @shallow-blue said
    It's not football that's lost you, it's commercial television.
    ...and maybe the business that has been made from football...
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '24 22:23
    @ponderable said
    Same thing, really.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Mar '24 10:17
    @ponderable said
    Business takes precedent over everything including what is laughingly called "sport" in the modern era.
    Read just this morning that if Man Utd do not qualify for some European league(can't remember which one) their kit sponsors will reduce their sponsorship by ten million pounds.
    Is it any surprise that teams cheat on the pitch to try to secure a favourable result?
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '24
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 09:55
    Same thing everywhere
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '24 21:25
    @a-unique-nickname said
    FYI, you still have a dead team going in the RHP fantasy football, maybe next year either play or remove your team?
    Perhaps the manager, you know, the guy running the game, could remove my team?

Shocked it hasn't happened already.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree