Football world cup

Football world cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

RSA

Moves
03 Jul 18

Originally posted by @neilarini
England deserved to win but admittedly didn't do enough to get a second and paid for it at the death. I can't say how good it is to see England finally win a penalty shoot out, and karma for Southgate.
That match's dirtiness reminded me of why I went off football for a long time. However, I am far too invested in England now to stop watching. Maybe that country's time has finally come again.

D

Moves
03 Jul 18

D

Moves
03 Jul 18
1 edit

Moves
03 Jul 18

I did flag that game up as a travesty earlier in this thread.

Japan only reached this stage because , in their first game, they beat Colombia who had a player sent off very early.

Having witnessed their disgraceful, petulant performance tonight, I would say that was hardly surprising

st johnstone

Moves
04 Jul 18

Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
I did flag that game up as a travesty earlier in this thread.

Japan only reached this stage because , in their first game, they beat Colombia who had a player sent off very early.

Having witnessed their disgraceful, petulant performance tonight, I would say that was hardly surprising
Poor game last night
One team did not want to pay the other did not know how to play.

Naymar was called a disgrace for over reacting after being kicked all over the park then stamped on right in the place where his ankle got broke.
But an english player get touched by an opponents hair on his chin stands there for seconds they throws himself to the ground. He gets praise from the half time pundits for doing it.
Kane pushes defender before that dodgy penalty. Plus last kick should have been a 're take pickfird was illegally well off his line.

Moves
04 Jul 18

Originally posted by @roma45
Poor game last night
One team did not want to pay the other did not know how to play.

Naymar was called a disgrace for over reacting after being kicked all over the park then stamped on right in the place where his ankle got broke.
But an english player get touched by an opponents hair on his chin stands there for seconds they throws himself to the gro ...[text shortened]... gy penalty. Plus last kick should have been a 're take pickfird was illegally well off his line.
If every other team in the WC is throwing themselves around as if they have been shot, England need to at least 'compete' in that area.

The difference is Neymar was rolling around as if someone had amputated his leg for none/minimal contact that would not have warranted a yellow/red card.

Henderson was butted on his upper chest, and the assailant then moved his head upwards to basically head but his chin, it is a red card under any set of rules. Drawing the refs attention to that by 'acting'? well, if we didnt do it, we would be the only country that did

On the other side of 'sportsmanship' Maguire (who was immense all game) sportingly jumped up and wagged his finger saying 'no penalty' straight after falling in the box. Didnt stop the cheating yellow shirted disgraces from trying to get him booked

Dodgy penalty? There were enough fouls commited on Kane in that 5 secs for 5 penalties? You watching the same game

And how many of their braying, haranguing bunch should have seen red in the embarrassing 4 mins that followed the award of the penalty? Not to mention trying to scuff up the penalty spot. Nice.

We ran out of steam, which is worrying. But to recover from the kick in the stomach that was the extra time equaliser, to hold out in extra time (and dominate the 2nd period of ET), then triumph in the penalty shoot out was deserved and showed great character.

Pickfords foot was on the line as the kick was being taken , Superb save.

st johnstone

Moves
04 Jul 18

If every other team in the WC is throwing themselves around as if they have been shot, England need to at least 'compete' in that area.

The difference is Neymar was rolling around as if someone had amputated his leg for none/minimal contact that would not have warranted a yellow/red card.

Henderson was butted on his upper chest, and the as ...[text shortened]... ed great character.

Pickfords foot was on the line as the kick was being taken , Superb save.
Interesting
So it's okay for Henderson to throw himself to the ground because other teams do it?
Poor excuse. No comment on Henderson head butting a Colombian as penalty was being taken. Kane fouled the defender first totally conned the ref.
As for McGuire he tried to con a penalty he was half way down hoping for contact when there was none he signalled the ref he slipped to avoid a booking for diving.
But I bet England to reach the quarters so all good

Moves
04 Jul 18
1 edit

Happy to talk about any aspect of it.

Henderson was stupid to get provoked. His backwards 'flick' with his head was in response to contact with his head from the Colombian player behind him. If the ref had sent both of them off, I would have no complaint.

I havent seen anyone suggest that Kane fouled before he was assaulted. You and I know that if every contact of any sort from a corner in the Premiership (English or Scottish) was punished, then every corner would result in either a penalty or a defensive free kick. It is a sport in which contact is made. There is a difference between 'contact' and the way South Americans defend corners, they dont even look at the ball and seem to think it is ok to engage their opponent in moves not out of place in the WWF (or whatever it is called now)

Quite rightly it has absolutely no place in the game. I am not too sure why the guy who wrestled Kane to the floor wasnt sent off for the severity of the foul.

So Maguire dived to earn a penalty, then immediately denied it was a penalty? I'm not sure what the logic is for that. If you dive to get a penalty you tend to roll around a lot and writhe in agony. Looked to me like a big lad who got his feet tangled up and fell over himself.

By the way, 0n the day of the 50th anniversary of the '66 win , a couple of years ago, I was talking to a Scottish guy in a pub. He mentioned it was his Golden Wedding anniversary that very day, putting 2 and 2 together I said 'oh, you were married on the day England won the World Cup'. Without thinking he came back with 'aye, two bloody disasters on the same day'!

st johnstone

Moves
04 Jul 18

Happy to talk about any aspect of it.

Henderson was stupid to get provoked. His backwards 'flick' with his head was in response to contact with his head from the Colombian player behind him. If the ref had sent both of them off, I would have no complaint.

I havent seen anyone suggest that Kane fouled before he was assaulted. You and I kno ...[text shortened]... the World Cup'. Without thinking he came back with 'aye, two bloody disasters on the same day'!
Lol..
See what maradona is saying about the game.
Especially coming from him.

D

Moves
04 Jul 18

Moves
04 Jul 18

I think we have discussed before that he was, in my opinion, the greatest player I have seen. Too young to remember Pele properly, and the very Best of George.

Has let himself go a bit now. Bit of a fat lad.

Moves
04 Jul 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
And your point is?

It is a contact sport, players are frequently injured.

England have suffered from 'star player injury' in recent World Cups.

No one else cares. Look at the score in the record books.

st johnstone

Moves
05 Jul 18

And your point is?

It is a contact sport, players are frequently injured.

England have suffered from 'star player injury' in recent World Cups.

No one else cares. Look at the score in the record books.
I am really liking Southgate.
His interview on the black arts other teams use to get an advantage at least he has the balls to admit England do it as well. He is playing them at their own game wow like it's something new England have never done before.
Keegan biggest diver ever. Remember peter crouch swinging on the defenders dreadlocks to hit the winner against Trinidad and Tobago.
Henderson went looking for trouble in the Colombian defensive wall. Pushing until they reacted then throws himself down at least naymar is a better actor...see xxx the return of xander cage...😉
Maguire went for the penalty but went the defender pulled out he signalled ref it was a slip. Southgate basically admitted that.
Kane fouled the defender before he was fouled
But none if that matters the game is over.
As for Japan non playing for the last ten minutes to get through. Poland were as guilty but they got off abuse free.
Belgium v Brazil should be good let's hope it's football not the black arts southgate style.

Moves
05 Jul 18
1 edit

I castigated both teams. I think D64 was talking just about Japan in the latest reply.

(cant believe Japan went 2 up v Belgium, didnt see whole game as thought it would be a cakewalk!)

Read Maradonna's bizarre rant. Think he's still peeved about The Falklands!

As an England fan, we need to win 3 games. 2 of them we should win, the final one, it is likely we would be under dogs.

But anything can happen , including we COULD just lose to Sweden.

As you say Belgium/Brazil could be the game of the tournament

D

Moves
05 Jul 18