Goodbye Roy Halladay

Goodbye Roy Halladay

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
14 Dec 09

Here's to the best pitcher in the history of the Toronto Blue Jays.

You were the greatest, Roy, and you will be missed.

Go Phillies in 2010!

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
15 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay

Go Phillies in 2010!
Good man.

I'll miss Cliff Lee, but certainly have open arms for Roy.

PS- Yes, I still exist

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
15 Dec 09

I'm glad for Roy. Finally he's on a winning team (no offense, darv)! Hopefully he can string together something like five 20+ win seasons and glide into the HOF.

q

Moves
15 Dec 09

hoping for five 20+ seasons seems absurdly high.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
15 Dec 09

Go Phillies in 2010!
Best pitcher? What about Jim Clancy? Or Dave Lemanczyk? Or Luis Leal? Now THERE were some real pitchers.

d

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Best pitcher? What about Jim Clancy? Or Dave Lemanczyk? Or Luis Leal? Now THERE were some real pitchers.
😵

d

Moves
15 Dec 09

Originally posted by quackquack
That's why it's called 'hope', ya schmuck.

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
16 Dec 09

He racked up high win totals playing in the toughest division in baseball, and now he's going to an average division (at best) with an offense behind him that pops homeruns like they're tic tacs. I think he could do it.

q

Moves
16 Dec 09

Your prediction seems insane unless you truly think Roy Holliday can do things no one has done in 50 years. As much as I like the guy Halladay is one time Cy Young Award winner and I think 5 more 20+ win seasons for a guy who turns 33 in May is a wildly insane prediction.

Here is what recent great pitchers have done (many on four man rotations) and it is not close. Perdro Martinez (who was more dominant than Halladay was at the same age) won 20 twice is his whole career. (he had double digits wins once when he was 33 and never afterwards). Johan Santana has won 20 games once. Roger Clemens is the last guy to win 20 five or more times. Clemens cheated so it probably should not count but he cheated well and won 354 games (nevertheless he only won 20 games 3 times after age 33). It is highly unlikely holliday will approach Clemens performance enhanced numbers. The next batch of pitchers to win 20 games more than 5 times is Glavine (1 after age 33), Palmer (0) , Carlton (2) Hunter (0) infact he retired age 33) Seaver (0) Perry (2), Gibson (2) and Jenkins (0).
You guys really think Halladay, who has won 20 games twice will do it five more times?

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
16 Dec 09

Your prediction seems insane unless you truly think Roy Holliday can do things no one has done in 50 years. As much as I like the guy Halladay is one time Cy Young Award winner and I think 5 more 20+ win seasons for a guy who turns 33 in May is a wildly insane prediction.

Here is what recent great pitchers have done (many on four man rotations) and ...[text shortened]... (0).
You guys really think Halladay, who has won 20 games twice will do it five more times?
I agree, it is high, but that's what I'm hoping for cause that's what it'll take for him to get into the hall, most likely. And nowhere did I say it was a prediction, and that I actually think he's going to do it.

But if anyone could do it, it would be him. The whole set of circumstances are in his favor. American League Cy Young winners have a tendency of dominating when they come to the National League, as the last two seasons have shown, and the Phillies are probably the best team in the NL, so, we'll see.

q

Moves
16 Dec 09

You can hope for whatever you want, but the NL has had only one pitcher win 20 games in the last four years. Hoping for five twenty win seasons from an excellent (but not all time great) 33 year old guy is setting the bar insanely high.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
17 Dec 09

You can hope for whatever you want, but the NL has had only one pitcher win 20 games in the last four years. Hoping for five twenty win seasons from an excellent (but not all time great) 33 year old guy is setting the bar insanely high.
Have you not seen Roy pitch?

If you have then imagine the Phils offense behind him. Unless Lidge blows 10 of his starts, then he will get 20.

M

Moves
17 Dec 09

Originally posted by PocketKings
Have you not seen Roy pitch?

If you have then imagine the Phils offense behind him. Unless Lidge blows 10 of his starts, then he will get 20.
I think he's got a good chance to win 20 next year. But it would be a very long shot for him to do it 5 times. But I'm sure the Phillies would be very happy with five seasons worth of 17-9 or 18-8.

The big risk is the fact that he's going to be 33 next season. The age at which a given player begins to fade and-or get hurt a lot varies from player to player. But for some players, this happens as early as their early 30's. Giving big money to players at this age is always a gamble. If the dice roll your way, you're the Yankees. If they don't, you're the Mets.

d

Moves
17 Dec 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes
I think he's got a good chance to win 20 next year. But it would be a very long shot for him to do it 5 times. But I'm sure the Phillies would be very happy with five seasons worth of 17-9 or 18-8.

The big risk is the fact that he's going to be 33 next season. The age at which a given player begins to fade and-or get hurt a lot varies from player to pl ...[text shortened]... a gamble. If the dice roll your way, you're the Yankees. If they don't, you're the Mets.
I've watched him play every week for many years now. The man's skills are nowhere near diminishing. In fact, Roy seems to get more dominant every year. I don't think 60 wins over the next 3 years in a Philly uniform is out of the question at all.

M

Moves
17 Dec 09

I've watched him play every week for many years now. The man's skills are nowhere near diminishing. In fact, Roy seems to get more dominant every year. I don't think 60 wins over the next 3 years in a Philly uniform is out of the question at all.
His skills haven't begun to diminish...yet. But next year could be the year the great decline begins. Or maybe he'll be like Nolan Ryan and stay at his current level until he's 45. Roll the dice!!