Headingley 2019

SubscriberFMF
Sports 26 Aug '19 13:27
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '19 13:27
    Day 4 (last day, as it turned out): one of the most amazing/dramatic days of Test cricket I have ever seen, and arguably the best hundred scored by anyone in the history of the game.

England level the series 1-1 with two Tests to go.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    01 Sep '19 00:20
    @FMF

Indeed. Probably the greatest English Test innings of all time. By the end of it, the Aussies were rabbits in headlights.

To be fair, understandably.

Game on!
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    01 Sep '19 17:21
    @fmf said
    Day 4 (last day, as it turned out): one of the most amazing/dramatic days of Test cricket I have ever seen, and arguably the best hundred scored by anyone in the history of the game.

England level the series 1-1 with two Tests to go.
    A great day yes, but let's not get too carried away.
    England, along with other test playing nations as well still have problems with the 5 day game.
    The advent of 1 day cricket has changed test cricket completly, some would say for the better but not all would agree.
    I know cricket has to attract the crowds and the 1 day game is very popular now , but I used to love the dogged determination of the likes of Ken Barrington, Geoff Boycott,Conrad Hunte, Sunil Gavaskar Bev Congden and others who would see hell freeze over before they would risk giving their wicket away.
    There's not many like that in the modern game and great as Ben Stoke's innings was ,he's just as likely to get out for a low score in the next test as score another 100.
    His dismissal in the first innings shows that.
    One swallow doesn't make a summer.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    01 Sep '19 20:52
    @venda

To be fair, every batsman in the history of the game is 'just as likely to get a low score as get 100'

Even Bradman's average for his 'bottom 25%' of innings was ridiculously low, I would guess less than 10.

Mind you, wouldn't mind a top 3 of Boycott, Hutton and Barrington on Thursday. Might set a better platform than we are used to (and 2 of them are dead, and the other almost 80 - this part IS a joke!))
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Sep '19 12:18
    @blood-on-the-tracks said
    @venda

To be fair, every batsman in the history of the game is 'just as likely to get a low score as get 100'

Even Bradman's average for his 'bottom 25%' of innings was ridiculously low, I would guess less than 10.

Mind you, wouldn't mind a top 3 of Boycott, Hutton and Barrington on Thursday. Might set a better platform than we are used to (and 2 of them are dead, and the other almost 80 - this part IS a joke!))
    Thing is , there used to be a top 5 who were all capable of staying in more than a few overs so if a couple were out cheaply it wasn't such a problem.
    I actually like the modern game and realise that nothing stays the same, but even a few years ago we had Strauss, Cooke and Trott.
    Now what we have is Root and a bunch of all rounders and no other county players worth a test place because they don't play enough county cricket to get the experience.
  6. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    09 Sep '19 09:351 edit
    @FMF

Indeed. Probably the greatest English Test innings of all time. By the end of it, the Aussies were rabbits in headlights.

To be fair, understandably.

Game on!
    Game back off.

Aussies retain The Ashes in great style.

Should in reality be 3 up going into the last test.............but who cares. The Ashes will stay in Australia. What a player Smith is. Probably the second best batsman in history.

Rabbits in the headlights? England and they're woeful batsmen.

It's great to be an Australian !!!
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Sep '19 16:081 edit
    @radioactive69

Hi there Champ . See you managed to comment on the cricket at last.

Total silence during the World Cup, and the humiliation to your brave boys in the semi. Know you like your one day crap.

They're (sic) are ups and downs in sport. One 'up' is that the odious cheat Warner is a rabbit of the nth degree. Broad has him on toast. For God's sake, give the bullying cheat some sandpaper and drop him for the last Test. And please don't send him over here again, he is a disgrace to a great sport.

By the way, the score is 2-1. It is called 'close'. Dare say we will hear from you if Oz win final Test, not so much of you lose.

We have Archer, and next time we are over there he will make Larwood look slow. Good days ahead
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Sep '19 16:09

Removed by poster

9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Sep '19 19:00
    @radioactive69

Hi there Champ . See you managed to comment on the cricket at last.

Total silence during the World Cup, and the humiliation to your brave boys in the semi. Know you like your one day crap.

They're (sic) are ups and downs in sport. One 'up' is that the odious cheat Warner is a rabbit of the nth degree. Broad has him on toast. For God's sake ...[text shortened]... .

We have Archer, and next time we are over there he will make Larwood look slow. Good days ahead
    Well said.
    Radio has always been the same.
    You only hear from him when the Aussies win, whatever the sport although he did say Smith and co were a disgrace with the cheating.
    Truth is Aussies have been better overall in the series, but without Smith and Labaushagne the Aussie batting lineup is no better than Englands.
    In fact , I think it's worse
    The problem with England is the lack of county cricket they play.
    Don't know what the Sheffield shield is like regarding red ball cricket but I suspect it's the same, the emphasis being on the 1 day stuff.
    The conditions and pitches have largely being in the Aussies favour in the series.
    If we get a green seaming pitch at the Oval on Thursday it'll be a different story
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    09 Sep '19 20:461 edit
    @venda
    Of course. When 'sandpaper gate' hit the headlines, radio.was calling for all 3 heads on a platter ( that would be the lad persuaded to do it, Bancroft, the bully who made him do it, Warner, and the captain, Smith)

For what it's worth, I would have gone for the middle one, and banned him for life.

Radio slagged them all off. If he disputes it, I may spend 5 mins dredging up his infantile posts.

Now Smith is the 2 nd best test batsman of all time. Well, in someone's head! isn't that Sir Geoffrey?
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 18:14
    @venda
    Of course. When 'sandpaper gate' hit the headlines, radio.was calling for all 3 heads on a platter ( that would be the lad persuaded to do it, Bancroft, the bully who made him do it, Warner, and the captain, Smith)

For what it's worth, I would have gone for the middle one, and banned him for life.

Radio slagged them all off. If he disputes it, I may ...[text shortened]... Smith is the 2 nd best test batsman of all time. Well, in someone's head! isn't that Sir Geoffrey?
    Perhaps Radio thinks Geoffrey is the best batsmen of all time.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    10 Sep '19 18:37
    @venda

Just wish a 35 year old Geoff Boycott was opening for us at the Oval!

See he got his knighthood at last

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree