1. where angels play
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 09:24
    Originally posted by spurs73

its a myth to say no one cares about the League cup.
    Erm no it isnt.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 09:49
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Thanks. That confirms my impression. Seeing Wenger starting a team with an average age of 19 made me think that, at least to the big clubs, it's not that big of a deal. Still, it's cool to see sides like Burnley and Watford in it. Of course, the quarterfinal draw will probably pit Aresenal with Man U.
    Hey, but what a bunch of fantastic youngsters it was, isn't it?

I think Arsenal is very different from the rest in that respect, because Wenger is a magician when it comes to spotting young talent and then developing it into greatness, all maneuvered into achieving delicious football playing entertainment.

I feel that using the Carling to play youngsters is not the same for Wenger than for other coaches, and for us, fans, is something different as well.

By the way, superb goal by Carlos Vela, isn't it? That kid will be fifa world player winner in the future, you'll see.
  3. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:301 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Hey, but what a bunch of fantastic youngsters it was, isn't it?

I think Arsenal is very different from the rest in that respect, because Wenger is a magician when it comes to spotting young talent and then developing it into greatness, all maneuvered into achieving delicious football playing entertainment.

I feel that using the Carling to play youngste ...[text shortened]... y Carlos Vela, isn't it? That kid will be fifa world player winner in the future, you'll see.
    Admittedly, I'm biased as a Gunner's supporter. But I agree with your sentiments regarding Wenger and young talent completely. I don't know that there is a better coach with young players. Let me hasten to add that I'm not proclaiming him the best coach on the planet (or even in the Prem), just the best when it comes to working with the youngsters.

And I do enjoy watching their beautiful style (on those precious occasions when I do get to watch them). But it can be maddening during those times when they're trying to walk the ball into the net. Sometimes it seems like Clichy and Cesc are the only players willing to shoot from farther than six yards out.

PS: Vela is pure class.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 13:19
    Admittedly, I'm biased as a Gunner's supporter. But I agree with your sentiments regarding Wenger and young talent completely. I don't know that there is a better coach with young players. Let me hasten to add that I'm not proclaiming him the best coach on the planet (or even in the Prem), just the best when it comes to working with the youngsters.
    ...[text shortened]... only players willing to shoot from farther than six yards out.

PS: Vela is pure class.
    Gunner fan here myself, so don't be afraid to call Wenger the best coach on earth.

😏

Now, seriously, though I enjoy the class playing, sometimes I would like Wenger and the boys to be more bottomliners, because I really want to see a trophy soon. I mean, it's unfair that the best footie in the whole U.K. is not receiving the ultimate reward.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    15 Nov '08 00:48
    Originally posted by trev33
    for the top sides its 4th on their list of priorities.....5th for the players if you include international matches. sure they would like to win it but its not that important for them if they don't, most use it to see how their youngsters world fair against decent opposition.

plus its not just the top 4 that play a weaker side...look at the team reading pu ...[text shortened]... arling cup success?

the amount of sponsors its had in the last 15 years tells it own story.
    Couldn't agree more!!!

It's just a chance for the big teams to play their reserves, the cup is now just a consolation prize for the big 4 and you'll see more and more of the rest of the Premiership treating is as more of adistraction that anything else!

Wenger's kids played some excellent football all right but Arsenal fans what real silverware, and to get it they'll have to buy a battleing midfielder reminicient of the old Viera days..they need to also be able to grind out results!
  6. Swansea
    Moves
    15 Nov '08 16:08
    I don't think any team cares about it, even Swansea put out their second string team against Watford! I know they played twice in 52 hours but they are athletes and get paid alot for it so surely they can manage that!
  7. Joined
    18 Apr '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '08 16:10
    I'm a Newcastle fan. I would celebrate winning any trophy.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 12:36
    Just kidding...I don't think you're ugly.

Just have a quick football question: Is there any esteem attached to the Carling Cup? I know it's not on a footing with the FA Cup or Prem title. But is winning it cause for celebration?
    Don't you mean the "Comedy Cup"?

I would say that as my team are out!! 😛
  9. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 13:38
    Originally posted by divegeester

And your team would be?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '08 21:11
    And your team would be?
    Chelski
  11. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 12:46
    Chelski
    Gotcha. Well, we'll see if Burnley can't take down my team as well come December 2nd.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 21:37
    Gotcha. Well, we'll see if Burnley can't take down my team as well come December 2nd.
    Who would they be?
  13. 6yd box
    Moves
    20 Nov '08 23:34

YES the comedy cup which your team has won twice in the last 4 years and been runners up in another in the same time!
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 03:02
    Originally posted by spurs73
    YES the comedy cup which your team has won twice in the last 4 years and been runners up in another in the same time!
    you're shouting a one man song here spurs, give it up...it really is a mickey mouse cup.

come back when spurs win the UEFA cup 😉
  15. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    21 Nov '08 10:47
    Who would they be?
    Arsenal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree