1. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 16:48
    Total respect and deepest sympathy for all victims familys and friends from 1 Man Utd speaking on behalf of all football fans hopefully
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 17:07
    Whose fault was that, anyway? Did they ever determine what went wrong?
  3. Standard memberGalaKev
    Borderer
    Scotland
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 18:51
    I had a discussion with a Sheffield Supporter today.

He has withdrawn his posts, the day was my 18th birthday celebrations.

http://forum.btfcsc.co.uk/btfc-fans-forum/hillsborough/
  4. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 19:03
    The Taylor report (The officialenquiry into the disaster) lambasted the South Yorkshire Police Force, stating that the cause of the disaster was "The failure of police control"

Other factors, such as ticketless fans, drunken fans and crowd misbehaviour were rejected (The lack of police reaction in summoning medical aid meant that many fans attempted to treat victims themselves)

However it is acknowledged that the terrace itself was an accident waiting to happen. 31 Spurs fans were badly injured in a semi-final versues Wolves in 1981 (An event that meant Hillsborough didn't host another semi-final until 1987) Other issues such as a natural slope towards the part of the terrace where the disaster occured (Meaning crowds naturally drifted towards the fatal central pens) poor signage (Meaning fans were misguided and not informed of entrances to other, less crowded terraces) and a lack of exits meant that the situation was worsened. This is shown by the fact that Hillsborough's safety certificate had expired in 1983, six years before the disaster.

The fact that Liverpool fans recieved totally unjustified criticism is down to woefully poor media reporting of the disaster, which condemned the fans without hesitation and believed lies told by senior police officers (Again later disregarded by the Taylor report)

They were the victims of bull-headed policing and a ground that was patently unsafe.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 18:532 edits
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    The Taylor report (The officialenquiry into the disaster) lambasted the South Yorkshire Police Force, stating that the cause of the disaster was "The failure of police control"

Other factors, such as ticketless fans, drunken fans and crowd misbehaviour were rejected (The lack of police reaction in summoning medical aid meant that many fans attempt rt)

They were the victims of bull-headed policing and a ground that was patently unsafe.
    What was it that caused the police to open the gates on that day? I have heard that the police feared there would be a crush outside the ground. Were they not in an impossible situation? If they had not opened the gates and people had died they would have been slated for it , yes?
  6. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 21:581 edit
    Knightmeister,

Yes, you are correct in saying that police opened an exit gate. (Gates usally used at the end of the match as they allow many to leave at once.) The gate was opened in an attempt to get fans into the ground in time for the 3pm kickoff (Fans began to push and rush as they feared they would miss the kick off) However allowing in many people at once in an un-authorised manor was clearly not a desirable situation.

The police should have ordered the kickoff to be delayed (Alowing fans to be let in gradually) However the greatest problem was the fact that the fatal pens (Where crushing occured) were served by a tunnel from the entranc to the terrace. This tunnel was also gated. The police, knowing the pens were full, shold have gated the tunnel and directed fans into other, less crowded, parts of the terrace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree