1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 21:23
    Originally posted by mtthw
    If there's a world class English manager available, great. Otherwise, let's have someone good.

(If you want someone who would do it for nowt, pay them nowt. I guarantee Terry Venables wouldn't accept!)

I agree that they need time. But I would have liked to appoint someone who had shown some indication in their time as a club manager that they'd be g ...[text shortened]... 's achievements. He's not exactly setting the world alight as Steve's assistant, is he?)
    I was obviously being hypathetical regarding the 'doing the job for nowt' comment...

...and you're either a Venables fan or not. As assistant, he can only make suggestions which the manager either heeds or ignores as ultimately it is he who carries the can (and the wrath of the English media.)

McClaren has shown that he can make big decisions with the exclusion of Beckham - although I'm beginning to feel that he did that more to make a statement than for footballing reasons, as we're badly missing DB's service from the right, and his drive to lead by example (although I do admit that both were lacking in his last 12 months in the side.)
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 08:25
    (And I still think Venables was overrated. Semi-final with home advantage? No better than Sven's achievements. He's not exactly setting the world alight as Steve's assistant, is he?)
    err? getting to the semi final of euro 96 playing great football and only losing in a penalty shootout to a class team 2 years after not even qualifying for the world cup was overrated? "No better than Sven's achievements" no better than getting to 3 quarter finals playing the most boring football in the history of the sport?

i'm no england fan but i think you really need to look back at the past 20 years and see what each manager did for england. if you still think venables was overrated you most be blind.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 15:241 edit
    Originally posted by trevor33
    err? getting to the semi final of euro 96 playing great football and only losing in a penalty shootout to a class team 2 years after not even qualifying for the world cup was overrated? "No better than Sven's achievements" no better than getting to 3 quarter finals playing the most boring football in the history of the sport?
    I still stand by what I said. England were fantastic in '96 against the Netherlands and Germany. They were average (and very lucky to go through) against Spain and unimpressive against Switzerland and Scotland. With, as I said, home advantage, which would probably have made enough difference for Sven's team in two out of three quarter-finals they played in.

And I think people underestimate how much of an achievement three quarter-finals were. A few years of McClaren and they might realise.

I'm not saying Venables was bad. He was an improvement on Taylor, and much better than Keegan. But I don't understand the awe some people seem to hold him in. I wouldn't rate him any better than the other managers we've had.
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Feb '07 15:29
    Originally posted by trevor33
    playing the most boring football in the history of the sport?
    I'd also point out (ignoring the fact that either you're exaggerating or haven't watched much football 🙂) that no England manager has been appointed to be exciting. They're appointed to try and win.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 15:10
    Originally posted by blade68
    Firstly, I want the England manager to be English. Someone who would do the job for nowt.... there lies the passion.

Secondly, one of the problems with international matches is that they're few and far between and yat we expect to win every game we play. Let's be realistic... do ManYoo/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal expect to win every time they play? No.
    We ...[text shortened]... hly regarding issues that weren't football related... bring him back!

End of rant.
    I agree about Terry V. He was treated harshly i feel, which is particularly bad for England as he had created a GOOD side! England under Venables were playing some quality football! They wouldn't have weon every game under him, that, like you say,is unrealistic, but we stood chances against any team. I don't feel this is the case with the current side.
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 17:51
    I'd also point out (ignoring the fact that either you're exaggerating or haven't watched much football 🙂) that no England manager has been appointed to be exciting. They're appointed to try and win.
    I reckon he's got a job with The Sun...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree