1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 15:16
    Man, that was the worst England performance i have seen in ages (and i've seen some pretty poor stuff lately too!!). We really need someone to take charge of the Midfield. Lampard and Gerrard are both great players but they gel like wax and water. Should McLarren drop one to get some co-ordination going? I think they need to be more vocal (both of them). There just doesn't seem to be any communication going on. 🙁
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 15:36
    PM your address. I'll FedEx you a huge, beautiful poster of Iniesta.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Feb '07 19:18
    Bring back Sheringham!!
  4. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 01:16
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Man, that was the worst England performance i have seen in ages (and i've seen some pretty poor stuff lately too!!). We really need someone to take charge of the Midfield. Lampard and Gerrard are both great players but they gel like wax and water. Should McLarren drop one to get some co-ordination going? I think they need to be more vocal (both of them). There just doesn't seem to be any communication going on. 🙁
    I'd say drop Frank Lampard. Bring back Beckham. Drop anybody with the last name Neville.

Honestly, with all the talent at McLaren's disposal, if that's the best team he can put out, he needs to get the boot.

It just looked like England were all huff and puff but no technical skill.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 10:42
    like i can't blame staunton for ireland being so crap you guys can't blame mcclaren for england. its all the FAI and FAs fault.
  6. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 11:24
    I don't wee why McClaren can't take some of the blame - he has never appeared to be any good at management (supposedly a great coach on the train ing field - but that's not the same thing)....

He manages to blame the result on players missing - you look at the 11 that started and you can't really say he didn't have decent players at his disposal....

Carrick was bobbins, Lampard is NOT a left sided player and I don't believe Phil Neville to be international class left back......

Spain didn't exactly have their first choice 11 playing either - we just looked lacklustre again.......at some point someone (players and management) have to take some responsibility for consistent mediocre (at best) performances...

Where is the passion????
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 11:57
    Originally posted by trevor33
    like i can't blame staunton for ireland being so crap you guys can't blame mcclaren for england. its all the FAI and FAs fault.
    Well, yes, it's the FAs fault that McClaren is the manager. And it's probably not his fault that he isn't good enough. But still...
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 13:05
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Well, yes, it's the FAs fault that McClaren is the manager. And it's probably not his fault that he isn't good enough. But still...
    The problem with the FA is that they lack the guts to appoint someone who speaks their mind. They made this mistake several years back with Brian Clough, and they've now repeated it with Sam Allardyce. Until they realise that they need a manager with that kind of drive and passion, England will get nowhere.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 13:13
    I don't wee why McClaren can't take some of the blame - he has never appeared to be any good at management (supposedly a great coach on the train ing field - but that's not the same thing)....

the fact that he's never been any good at management is the reason why he can't take some of the blame. its the FAs fault for employing such a crap manager.

He manages to blame the result on players missing - you look at the 11 that started and you can't really say he didn't have decent players at his disposal....

Carrick was bobbins, Lampard is NOT a left sided player and I don't believe Phil Neville to be international class left back......

when was the last time you saw lampard play well for england? lets face it the guy is the most over rated player in the premiership, if he didn't score so many goals for chelsea he'd be playing for a championship side or at best a mid table premiership club. correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't phil neville been playing in evertons midfield all season? not like an england manager to play a player our of position *any johnson*

Spain didn't exactly have their first choice 11 playing either - we just looked lacklustre again.......at some point someone (players and management) have to take some responsibility for consistent mediocre (at best) performances...

at some point? 9 years ago maybe?

Where is the passion????

northern ireland & scotland
  10. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 14:421 edit
    Your not wrong on much of that mate!!

Disagree about Lampard - I still think he's a decent player - unfortunately he looks good in a defferent position adn with a different team style/ethic than when with England.....

At least everyone agrees that McClaren is crap and that the FA need a kick up the arse for employing him to start with :'(

Not sure who would be any better though?

Oh yes, and Phil Nev has been in Mid field most of the time!!! Been playing wuite well there by many reports
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 15:43
    Originally posted by Cityblue
    Your not wrong on much of that mate!!

Disagree about Lampard - I still think he's a decent player - unfortunately he looks good in a defferent position adn with a different team style/ethic than when with England.....

At least everyone agrees that McClaren is crap and that the FA need a kick up the arse for employing him to start with :'(

Not sure ...[text shortened]... il Nev has been in Mid field most of the time!!! Been playing wuite well there by many reports
    Who should have got the job in front of McClarren? I'm looking forward to Stuart Pierce getting a bit more managerial experience, i recon he's the kind of manager England needs. After the Passionless spell of Sven, i was looking forward t seeing a bit more guts from England but they've just got worse. 🙁
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 16:172 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Who should have got the job in front of McClarren? I'm looking forward to Stuart Pierce getting a bit more managerial experience, i recon he's the kind of manager England needs. After the Passionless spell of Sven, i was looking forward t seeing a bit more guts from England but they've just got worse. 🙁
    Guus Hiddinck? Why not a real world class manager? Or Martin O'Neill? Part of the problem was the insistence on an English manager. Whenever an England manager is sacked there's a tendency to fixate on one aspect. Hoddle was seen as safe after Venables' dodgy business dealings. Keegan had "passion". With Sven we wanted someone more cool and collected. This time round there was an obsession with nationality.

Keegan had passion. Passion is not the problem, I'd rather have someone who really understands the game. Pierce may end up being the answer, but only if there's more to him than that. Although McClaren doesn't appear to have the passion or the tactical nous, which make it particularly bad.
  13. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:14
    Firstly, I want the England manager to be English. Someone who would do the job for nowt.... there lies the passion.

Secondly, one of the problems with international matches is that they're few and far between and yat we expect to win every game we play. Let's be realistic... do ManYoo/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal expect to win every time they play? No.
    We haven't got a God given right to win... just 'cos we won the WC on our own patch 40 years ago stands for nothing.
    Any new manager needs a bit of time to settle in... let McClaren make his mistakes in friendly matches, as long as he gets it right in the qualifiers who's going to care that we were pitiful and lost against Spain?

Thirdly, lets stop pretending that we're continentals. We should play to our strengths... 100mph fast tempo, get the ball in from 2 quick wingers to a big centre forward... (where's Bob Latchford gone?)
    Foreign sides don't like a physical game, and that's another one of our strengths.
    Leave the tippy tappy pretty football to the glove wearing foreigners and let's get stuck in!!

Fourthly, Terry Venables was always the man for me. The FA acted harshly regarding issues that weren't football related... bring him back!

End of rant.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:20
    Originally posted by trevor33
    [b]I don't wee why McClaren can't take some of the blame - he has never appeared to be any good at management (supposedly a great coach on the train ing field - but that's not the same thing)....

the fact that he's never been any good at management is the reason why he can't take some of the blame. its the FAs fault for employing such a crap manager. ...[text shortened]... years ago maybe?

Where is the passion????

northern ireland & scotland[/b]
    I thought Carrick played quite well, just by the fact that he was constantly dropping short to pick up the ball. He was the only midfielder giving the easy option. I also thought Neville did well. Its not his fault that the England winger couldn't make use of his bombing runs down the right.

Wright Phillips was a joke. Woodgate got done badly for the goal.

Spain played really well and kept the space closed down.

D
  15. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:54
    Originally posted by blade68
    Firstly, I want the England manager to be English. Someone who would do the job for nowt.... there lies the passion.

[snip]

Fourthly, Terry Venables was always the man for me. The FA acted harshly regarding issues that weren't football related... bring him back!
    If there's a world class English manager available, great. Otherwise, let's have someone good.

(If you want someone who would do it for nowt, pay them nowt. I guarantee Terry Venables wouldn't accept!)

I agree that they need time. But I would have liked to appoint someone who had shown some indication in their time as a club manager that they'd be good. McClaren is not that man.

(And I still think Venables was overrated. Semi-final with home advantage? No better than Sven's achievements. He's not exactly setting the world alight as Steve's assistant, is he?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree