Is a Driver an athlete?

Is a Driver an athlete?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
21 Dec 09

Jimmie Johnson, NASCAR's dominant force, won the Associated Press Athlete of the Year award today.

Without undermining Johnson's impressive accomplishments in car racing, can we really call a driver/car racer an athlete? I have seen some arguments stating that these drivers must withstand a lot of pressure (G force) while racing at top speeds so they must be in good shape. Some argue that driving takes more conditioning than golfing.

What say you? What should be the criteria to define what an athlete is?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Dec 09

Does it matter?

d

Moves
21 Dec 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Does it matter?
Does anything matter, Palynka?

Do you ever notice how you answer every question with another question? That's really annoying.

Make your point and let's discuss.

Moves
21 Dec 09

have you ever seen an unfit, fat racing driver?

d

Moves
21 Dec 09

Does anyone answer questions anymore?

Moves
21 Dec 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Does anyone answer questions anymore?
seriously, i can only use F1 and rallying as proof but to be a professional in the sport you have to be fit just like any other 'athlete', plus you need a lot of the other attributes that sportsmen need to became a racing driver. sure they use a car, what's the difference between controlling a car and controlling a ball or puck?

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
21 Dec 09

Originally posted by trev33
have you ever seen an unfit, fat racing driver?
Yes, mansell when he tried to return to F1 😛

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
21 Dec 09

Jimmie Johnson, NASCAR's dominant force, won the Associated Press Athlete of the Year award today.

Without undermining Johnson's impressive accomplishments in car racing, can we really call a driver/car racer an athlete? I have seen some arguments stating that these drivers must withstand a lot of pressure (G force) while racing at top speeds so they m ...[text shortened]... ing than golfing.

There used to be a program on TV with stars from each sport competing against each other in physical challenges.
Needless to say the F1 drivers were as fit if not fitter than most sportsmen.

d

Moves
21 Dec 09

seriously, i can only use F1 and rallying as proof but to be a professional in the sport you have to be fit just like any other 'athlete', plus you need a lot of the other attributes that sportsmen need to became a racing driver. sure they use a car, what's the difference between controlling a car and controlling a ball or puck?
Those are good points. To my knowledge, I don't know any unfit drivers. Then again, I don't watch the sport(s).

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Dec 09

In my opinion they are athletes.

However, is racing a sport* per se? Same questions goes for those sports where the
technology has "created" champs who, back in 1915 or 1920, would have not won
even the Lincoln Heights' Invitation for Under 14 year olds.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Dec 09
1 edit

a lot of pressure (G force)
Is that your secret with the ladies, tiger? Groar!

s

Moves
21 Dec 09

Most definitely a sport. Requires strength, fitness, great eye hand coordination, wonderful reflexes, stamina, ability to stand G forces. Those who have shook hands with Danika Patric say she has an iron grip. Can only imagine the strenght of the men!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Dec 09
1 edit

Actually there is a really big difference in controlling a car and controlling a ball or a puck, and I am quite suprised you don't understand that.

Yes A professional driver should be considered an athlete, in my opinion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Dec 09

Without undermining Johnson's impressive accomplishments in car racing, can we really call a driver/car racer an athlete? I have seen some arguments stating that these drivers must withstand a lot of pressure (G force) while racing at top speeds so they m ...[text shortened]... ing than golfing.

depends on your definition of an athlete.

They compete - they race against each other in different disciplines (different tracks,etc)

They represent - a team and/or a nationality

They try to better records - Timing sheets, number of points (season for drivers, competitons for athletes)

To me a driver is an athlete

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
22 Dec 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Most definitely a sport. Requires strength, fitness, great eye hand coordination, wonderful reflexes, stamina, ability to stand G forces. Those who have shook hands with Danika Patric say she has an iron grip. Can only imagine the strenght of the men!
The guy who works in my stock room is a big, strong guy who lifts lots of heavy boxes all day
long (strength, stamina). He operates a forklift too, which requires good hand-eye
coordination and reflexes when picking and maneuvering pallets from the high racks. Doesn't
withstand g-forces, but has to withstand poor air quality in the warehouse. Does this make
him an athlete?

Are pilots "athletes" because of the physical demands of their job? A bike messenger?
Construction worker? A guy working 12-hr shifts on an assembly line fitting parts that require
strength, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, stamina, etc.? Is the only reason they're not
because of the lack of entertaining competition?

I think everyone draws there line differently, but I say that race car drivers, though maybe
incredibly fit, are no more athletes that anyone else who has a job that requires physical
dexterity. Sportsmen? Sure. But not athletes. I'm not sure exactly where I'd draw my line,
though. If golfers are athletes, then are bowlers? If bowlers are athletes, then are dart
throwers?

I put race car drivers in the same category as race boat drivers, motorcycle racers, etc. Maybe
incredibly fit sportsmen, but not "athletes." I guess to me it has something to do with
whether or not the human body is more important to the sport than the technology being used
to generate power or the process of the game. How would the sport look if advanced
technology were taken out of the equation? Runners, ball players, gymnasts, boxers,
swimmers, etc are sports where the human body is at the heart of it. I think those are true
athletes. But I'm willing to be persuaded differently.