1. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:07
    Is this a long-run trend that goes beyond just Brazil and Argentina becoming soccer powers? US and Mexico regularly qualify and increasingly threaten to advance further, but more immediately, notice South America's broad advance.
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 21:24
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Is this a long-run trend that goes beyond just Brazil and Argentina becoming soccer powers? US and Mexico regularly qualify and increasingly threaten to advance further, but more immediately, notice South America's broad advance.
    Brazil and Argentina have always been footballing super powers.
  3. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 09:55
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Actually all teams in S.America have always been in the top. Mexico as well. Actually only the USA never did anything reasonable.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 10:191 edit
    The "New World" has always hosted two superpowers in world football/soccer. Mexico regularly makes it to the Last 16 and the US as well. Not much has changed there. Uruguay and Paraguay did better than usual, but they were also favoured by their draws in the knock-out rounds. They certainly have good teams, though, but even in their groups Italy and France did poorly against every other team so it's hard to say how they would fare against these two countries in "normal" times.

But still, well done to them for getting this far and especially for Uruguay and Chile who have looked quite good on the ball, playing attractive and effective football.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 11:301 edit
    Originally posted by orion25
    Actually all teams in S.America have always been in the top. Mexico as well. Actually only the USA never did anything reasonable.
    Really? How about placing third in the 1930 WC won by Uruguay? USA made it to the semis in 1930, beat Spain en route to the finals of the Confederations Cup last year in RSA and almost beat Brazil in the same tourney going up 2-0 before Brazil came from behind to win 3-2. Team USA consistently beats Mexico, no slouch, as you could see from this WC. No question there's work to do, but it is slowly, but surely improving.

As for South America, they have always been on top of their game and have won nine of the 18 WC's between Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina.
  6. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 12:36
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Really? How about placing third in the 1930 WC won by Uruguay? USA made it to the semis in 1930, beat Spain en route to the finals of the Confederations Cup last year in RSA and almost beat Brazil in the same tourney going up 2-0 before Brazil came from behind to win 3-2. Team USA consistently beats Mexico, no slouch, as you could see from this WC. No q ...[text shortened]... n on top of their game and have won nine of the 18 WC's between Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina.
    So what did you do in the 70 years between 1930 and 2000? I won't deny they are good now, but this is something new.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 01:30
    Originally posted by orion25
    So what did you do in the 70 years between 1930 and 2000? I won't deny they are good now, but this is something new.
    So pass of time negates achievement? I'm not sure I follow. Granted of late best has been quarters. Not likely to move higher until more attention is paid to soccer at levels other than little league, although NCAA is finally paying soccer its due.
  8. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 04:00
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    But scratch the surface, look at how far so many South American teams made it this year, for example. Also as a progression I don't know as much as some of you about the history, but didn't Brazil emerge as a greater power around the 70's and/or since pele? Didn't Paraguay come out of virtual obscurity?
  9. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 04:52
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The "New World" has always hosted two superpowers in world football/soccer. Mexico regularly makes it to the Last 16 and the US as well. Not much has changed there. Uruguay and Paraguay did better than usual, but they were also favoured by their draws in the knock-out rounds. They certainly have good teams, though, but even in their groups Italy and France d ...[text shortened]... nd Chile who have looked quite good on the ball, playing attractive and effective football.
    Good pointing out Chile by the way, that has been overlooked by some as well.

Combined with the French/Italian failures to make it out of group stage, it does look like a broad phenomenon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree