1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 19:44
    It does not bother me so much who is in or who is out but that people just want their favorites in. I certainly think Blyleven should be in and that will probably be corrected very soon.
    I would not sight Jack Morris and his 3.90 career ERA as a Hall of Fame oversight.
    Its funny because people spend so much time talking about Morris as a big game pitcher when a guy like Tommy John (288 career wins; 3.34 career ERA) has been a big game pitcher 2.08 League Championship ERA; 2.67 WS.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 22:32
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It does not bother me so much who is in or who is out but that people just want their favorites in. I certainly think Blyleven should be in and that will probably be corrected very soon.
    I would not sight Jack Morris and his 3.90 career ERA as a Hall of Fame oversight.
    Its funny because people spend so much time talking about Morris as a big game pit ...[text shortened]... career wins; 3.34 career ERA) has been a big game pitcher 2.08 League Championship ERA; 2.67 WS.
    If you will look at the records, Morris was the winningest pitcher in the 90's. That is pretty strong. The ERA is elevated because he pitched in the AL with the DH. And, never forget the 10 inning 1-0 shutout in the World Series. Morris was a go to guy.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 20:34
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    If you will look at the records, Morris was the winningest pitcher in the 90's. That is pretty strong. The ERA is elevated because he pitched in the AL with the DH. And, never forget the 10 inning 1-0 shutout in the World Series. Morris was a go to guy.
    Again though the consistency in the arguments is what concerns me.
    Morris was the winningest pitcher in the 90s but he was on good offensive teams and had high ERAs. Guidry in a ten year period led the league in strike outs, starters ERA, shutouts and wins--- that's truly dominant. He one the 1 game playoff in 1978. I certainly would rather have more consideration for him.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 23:29
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Again though the consistency in the arguments is what concerns me.
    Morris was the winningest pitcher in the 90s but he was on good offensive teams and had high ERAs. Guidry in a ten year period led the league in strike outs, starters ERA, shutouts and wins--- that's truly dominant. He one the 1 game playoff in 1978. I certainly would rather have more consideration for him.
    I liked Louisiana Lightning as well, but I still believe Morris was a better pitcher. I would have no problem with Guidry getting more consideration than he has, but I don't think he was the dominant pitcher of any decade, and Morris definitely was. I still believe Blyleven has to be the next pitcher that should be inducted though.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 18:04
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I liked Louisiana Lightning as well, but I still believe Morris was a better pitcher. I would have no problem with Guidry getting more consideration than he has, but I don't think he was the dominant pitcher of any decade, and Morris definitely was. I still believe Blyleven has to be the next pitcher that should be inducted though.
    We agree on Blylevin and I think he will be the next one in.
    I do think you overstate Morris. He had his big moments; he just has too high an ERA and too small career totals to be considered great.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree